It's Nice To Be Back (Breaks and Such)

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well hey there guys, it's been a LONG time since I've been on the forums. Since September, to be exact. This isn't because I hate magic, or hate you guys, or anything like that. I've actually taken a bit of a break from magic for about a year, around right after I put "playBack" up on The Wire.

This isn't going to be a deep, insightful post, but I was thinking about how taking a break has made me appreciate magic a bit more. The phrase that people always say, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder" (or something like that), is actually pretty true. When I first took a break, magic was all I did, thought about, and learned at the time. I wasn't really focused on much else. I was basically on a magic OVERLOAD, and felt that taking a bit of a break from performing and learning new magic was needed.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say with this extremely long post is: Taking a break from magic/anything you're obsessed with isn't always a bad thing. I'm more into learning/creating/performing now than I've ever been, and if I hadn't taken that time to cool off a bit, I probably wouldn't have this burst of energy.

It's nice to be back.

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
I've been through this too and i agree 100% a break is always nice. Happy to see you back :)

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Great Post!
This made me thinking about taking a break from magic.
It will be difficult, but I'lll try it. ;)
Thank you so much Aaron!

- Konrad

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I've been on a break for about 6 months now, touched down every few weeks with the forums. Considering stepping back into it though! It most definitely helps to revitalize your passion for the art, I don't think anyone sees it as a bad thing.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
This is the first time I have logged in and been on the forums in probably 3-4 months. Same here my man. I have just taken a break from magic for a good while now. One of my big things is because I just need something new. I have performed the material I have over and over and over and over and so many more times over. I'm not being drastic either, I'm being serious. I'm about to get something new soon. But I've been gone for a bit. I feel like an old man and there is so much I have missed. So what's up, guys? What's new? What's hip and jive with you kids nowadays? It's funny, because I'm only 18. Anyway, I'm back now and I'm glad to be.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I can second this post - I just got back into magic after 6-8 months of guitar and disc golf almost exclusively as hobbies.

Of course a friend of mine sent me some things he'd been working on and it brought me right back to magic. It's not only nice that I can get back into it - but I feel full of ideas that I didn't have before I took a break. Most of them new presentations, but it's nice to be able to crack open a magic book and spend some time working on a craft I've done for 10ish years now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results