IET questions

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I know this probably is an extremely overdone post in any magic forum, but if someone could either respond or link me to another post with a good answer, I would be really grateful.

So I've been working a lot with IT and IET recently. I used the Tarantula for the longest time, but it was so fragile and it broke quickly. I kept having to buy refill spider spools, and eventually I even bought a second Tarantula. That broke as well, and I was fed up with it. I decided to go with the classic loops instead, which I was quite satisfied by. However, those 5 loops broke pretty fast, and I figured tying my own loops would be cheaper. I got a 300 foot spool of Legacy thread for 20 dollars from Penguin and I'm loving it.

Now here's the questions I have. First off, is Legacy thread the best option? I've looked around and people generally agree that it is. I like the thread, but while it's strong, it's fairly visible. Does it not come pre-stripped? Also, I bought the thread from the following link.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3053

It simply says Legacy thread. Is it not Legacy 2.0? Is it better to buy directly from the website?

In general, the biggest worry I have about the IET I've used is visibility. Sure strength matters, but both Mesika's and Legacy seem to work well, and I can get used to the varying strengths. However, sometimes the IET seems blaringly obvious to me. Is that just because I know I have it? Even then, how do I go about making sure the IET is not seen?

Thanks guys!

Rupayan

EDIT: One last thing. Anyone know how to make a "body" loop? I've heard great things about them, but I can't find many sources on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 18, 2014
Hah I just had this problem and couldn't find any help. Here it is

Legacy Thread

- Very Strong, but very very slightly more visible than mesikas thread

Infinity Thread V2

- A little stronger than mesikas thread and more invisible than it, but not as strong as legacy thread.

I prefer Legacy I bought both to see which one meets my needs. I originally thought that I wanted invisibility more, but then I just wear a watch or a bracelet to hide it, besides nobody is looking for things on your wrist, there is a very old saying in magic,

" The spectators won't see what they aren't looking for."

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hah I just had this problem and couldn't find any help. Here it is

Legacy Thread

- Very Strong, but very very slightly more visible than mesikas thread

Infinity Thread V2

- A little stronger than mesikas thread and more invisible than it, but not as strong as legacy thread.

I prefer Legacy I bought both to see which one meets my needs. I originally thought that I wanted invisibility more, but then I just wear a watch or a bracelet to hide it, besides nobody is looking for things on your wrist, there is a very old saying in magic,

" The spectators won't see what they aren't looking for."

Legacy definitely is strong, but I've noticed it shines quite a bit when in direct light. What you said about the watch or bracelet, I could care less when it's on my wrist, I know the spectators aren't looking there. But when I'm levitating a ring or a rubber band, or I'm performing a haunted deck routine, the spectators immediately look for threads... and in this case, Legacy seems to be visible in certain light conditions.

Am I simply being too cautious? I haven't tried it on a lot of people yet, but only on my close friends. Some people see it. Does anyone have any tips for the best light conditions for this effect?

Also, thanks FormlessMars22, I'll definitely check that out.

Feb 18, 2014
The only reason they would be looking for thread is because of performance. Do not draw attention, don't make it seem like your using thread... Make all these weird hand motions that would cancel out the thought of that you'd be using thread. Be Bold about it, In bold vol.2 by JM he teaches 3 tricks with loops, I have used all of them and thread was never suspected. About the lighting, If you are that worried, do not perform with loops under direct light, thats all. BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "INVISIBLE" elastic thread. Sure it is quite invisible but if it was truly "invisible" you wouldn't be able to see it right?

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I know I wouldn't be able to see it. I was just thinking it would become invisible after a certain distance. And okay I shall try it. But even in indoor conditions I can see it from a few feet away, which makes me just nervous about it all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results