The Importance of Performance

Oct 11, 2007
Fellow T11 Members,

Take a few moments to watch Adrien Brody's performance on Today...bear with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcrNcwyeGk

Notice anything special about what he did? Probably not. This simple trick was probably one of the first that many of us learned. I remember reading it as a young kid in Dunninger's Encyclopedia of Magic from the library.

Notice anything special about the reactions of those around Adrien? Yes! This is a perfect example of great performance! Notice the emphasis that Adrien puts on each attempt to break the pencil, the suspense that he builds, the way that he sells the condition of the dollar bill, etc.

We can all take a valuable lesson away from a quick performance like this; a performance from an 'actor playing the part of a magician.' Whether we want to admit it or not, Adrien impressed the staff of Today with one of magic's simplest tricks more than most of us impress our audiences with effects that are much more complicated.

The message is that we as magicians are fascinated with the technicalities of the effects we do more than the performance that goes with it. However, the presentation and performance of our effects is what makes them into miracles. Let's practice our performance of magic just as much as we practice the moves that no one sees; let's try to be a little more like Adrien.

emagician

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am going to date myself a bit since I am 36, but I remember kids performing this effect to each other on the school playground back when I was in grade school (early 80s).

Great performance. Thank you for sharing and I absolutely loved Adrien in Houdini. The movie was excellent.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I am going to date myself a bit since I am 36, but I remember kids performing this effect to each other on the school playground back when I was in grade school (early 80s).

Great performance. Thank you for sharing and I absolutely loved Adrien in Houdini. The movie was excellent.

You're such a young pup, Rick. . .

A "Magician" isn't a guy that does tricks, it's the guy/gal that creates enchantment, which is what we witness here and it's what distinguishes people in our craft like Eugene Burger or Jeff McBride. . . yes, they create "art" but they also lure the audience into a world of fantasy, where all things are possible. . . especially the impossible. (think about it).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results