How much cardistry do you need practice everyday on an average to become a good cardist?

Sep 23, 2015
Im 14 and hv no idea of cardistry but I hv been doing Card magic since 2013 and Im pretty good at it. I dont want to become a professional card flourisher(cardist) but want to add flourishes to my tricks to make long and boring card tricks intresting and more entertaining. But this seems quite tough. I dont want to be pro but just want to perform cool cuts, spring, waterfall kind off stuff. 2ndly can I do all this with bicycle standart backs or its better to go for expensive decks like virts etc.
I know someone cant say how much time is required as these stuff take a lot of practice and repetition but still......

englandzilon

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Its different for everyone. Some has good muscle memory from previous flourish and good finger dexterity and strength. So they tend to require lesser amount of time to practice compared to a person is new to flourishes.

And also one more thing. Sometime practicing one thing too much can hurt. Have you ever practice something for 1 day and you starting getting worst at it instead of getting better. Then the next day it still getting worst and you gave up. After one month or few days you come back to the move and realised that it worked and get surprised. And also depends on what flourish you are practicing.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
First of all: card flourishing is a completely different skill set than card magic. Some flourishes will take A LOT of time to master -- like and magic.

The 'card feel' comes over time. Use Bicycles for a while because when you start, you'll be gorilla gripping any deck you get in your hands.
After a while, your hands will be 'calibrated' to where you can feel quality in card stock and not wreck your decks nearly as much.

I consider myself the WORST in reading nuances, but it took me 8 months to really 'read' the difference between a Bicycle and a T11 deck. If I can do it, you will definitely be able to--with practice, that is.

Also, to get a move down, it HEAVILLY depends on two factors:
- the flourish you're working in
- how much practice you're putting into it.

I've practiced super knacky flourishes that I could do fluently within two weeks.
And I've also had flourishes of the same difficulty that I've been working on for months and can't get to work fluently (@Andrei 's 'Backpack').

Start with the basics. Window shop for flourishes you want to know and work from there. As another student of magic, I will say that about 95% of flourishes have ZERO practical application in magic. I say this because I think it's smarter to do flourishes WITHIN tricks as opposed to doing something between tricks, I think.

The last thing you want to do is to give your audience an excuse to burn your hands.

Good luck!

Nov 27, 2015
If you want to learn some basic cuts and flourishes, it'll take you time. Just learning sybil took me about a couple of hours straight working on it until i got to actually finish it. Same with spring and other flourishes. Even if just for magic, i suggest practicing wherever you can. Even if you're just sitting there watching a video you can just be practicing it right there and then. As someone who has gone from magic to cardistry, i can tell you, you'll need to practice a whole lot, even if its just for the easy stuff. Good luck!

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Aug 7, 2017
Ok to the point I am blunt. Doing card magic for 2 yrs and pretty good seriously? well depending on what you call card magic? But the obvious is not a lot...Want to make it interesting by adding flourishes? either your card magic sucks or your patter sucks.
If a magician walked to my table and does flourishes, I would tell him to walk on! "look at me what I can do with cards". Whats the point in me picking a card you know where it is, obviously you can handle a deck of cards. Keep them separate. David Williamson states make it sloppy then kill them with the effect.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results