Four Card control techniques

Jun 13, 2013
I have been working on a travelers plot of my own and have been trying to find a four card control that I like. I have learned a bit from Guy Hollingworth but was just curious if any one knows of some other resources on it.

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
The Elias-Shift mentioned above is really efficient. In that shift multiple cards are secretly stripped-out during a swing cut.
Jack Carpenter published a nice multiple shift in the Seattle Sessions DVDs where a strip-out is hidden in an overhand-shuffle. I probably like this a little better than the Elias-Shift.
A totally different approach would be to use a spread cull. In that way you can control the cards one after another when they are returned to different positions in the deck. The nice thing about that is, that there´s no overt action after the replacement (like the shuffle or cut in the shifts mentioned above).

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I have always been a fan of the Dai Vernon multiple shift because it's the spectator that decides where to place his/her card, and the deck is shuffled after each card has been replaced. It's very deceptive.

I encourage you to look for Daryl's Encyclopaedia of Card Sleights Vols. 4 and 5 for more on multiple shifts.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/95

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Jun 13, 2013
Thanks for the information everyone. I definitely am drawn to little to no shuffling. I have also been playing with using a pass to get the desired cards to the top of the deck. That stage end goal. Four cards to the top with what looks like little movement. I will poke around a bit with this stuff

If you've got a table and the four cards can be removed completely from the deck before being replaced in different parts to be 'lost' then Harry Lorayne's 'Spread Control' is an option (See Harry Lorayne's 'Close Up Card Magic'). It's way more deceptive the the description perhaps makes it seem. Plus, if Ricky Jay likes it then it's got to be good...

Other than that I think the Elias Shift as previously mentioned is about as good as it gets for an in the hand multiple card control.

Rev

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
Ricky Smith "Cherry Control" is another fun in-the-hands-multiple-shift without a shuffing or cutting action. After the cards are replaced in different locations you just fan the deck and as if by magic they´re on top.
It´s available as video stream on D&D

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I forget the name of the move, but you ribbon spread the deck face-up on the table. Insert each card one at a time into diff parts of the deck, but when you square up the deck they are on top. The reason is because when you inset the card into the deck, you slide it slightly to the right so that it is actual not in between the cards, but underneath the deck. Leave it outjogged until all 4 cards are placed in the deck. Then push them in one at a time and square up the deck. The 4 cards will be on the top of the deck.

If anyone can name the technique that would be most helpful!

Nov 10, 2014
I forget the name of the move, but you ribbon spread the deck face-up on the table. Insert each card one at a time into diff parts of the deck, but when you square up the deck they are on top. The reason is because when you inset the card into the deck, you slide it slightly to the right so that it is actual not in between the cards, but underneath the deck. Leave it outjogged until all 4 cards are placed in the deck. Then push them in one at a time and square up the deck. The 4 cards will be on the top of the deck.

If anyone can name the technique that would be most helpful!
You are bordering on revealing. You may want to be a bit more careful in the future.

Mar 8, 2016
The Elias-Shift mentioned above is really efficient. In that shift multiple cards are secretly stripped-out during a swing cut.
Jack Carpenter published a nice multiple shift in the Seattle Sessions DVDs where a strip-out is hidden in an overhand-shuffle. I probably like this a little better than the Elias-Shift.
A totally different approach would be to use a spread cull. In that way you can control the cards one after another when they are returned to different positions in the deck. The nice thing about that is, that there´s no overt action after the replacement (like the shuffle or cut in the shifts mentioned above).

Doesn't John Bannon talk about the problems with the Elias-Shift in his book?

Nov 10, 2014
Doesn't John Bannon talk about the problems with the Elias-Shift in his book?
Who cares if someone else found a problem with a move? If someone has done a move for several years in front of countless people successfully then why does it matter if someone else found issues with it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results