Alternatives to close up pads

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
I really like close up pads, but sometimes you need more. I notice once, there was a close up pad that unfolded into a three way mirror. It was really nice, but I have always used a laptop sleeve, because it is used to hold your laptop, it could hold your deck of cards. This way it is more portable and you do not have to risk any damage done to the deck in your pocket. I was wondering, are there any other really good alternatives to the classic close up pad? If so what are they?

Mar 2, 2016
I really like close up pads, but sometimes you need more. I notice once, there was a close up pad that unfolded into a three way mirror. It was really nice, but I have always used a laptop sleeve, because it is used to hold your laptop, it could hold your deck of cards. This way it is more portable and you do not have to risk any damage done to the deck in your pocket. I was wondering, are there any other really good alternatives to the classic close up pad? If so what are they?

Does it need to be portable?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
My briefcase that i keep all of my magic in has a close-up pad built in to the top of it. Tony clark makes some good ones. My partner Mike Armstrong builds mine for me custom. :) They are great to hold your stuff in and have a nice working surface

Aug 4, 2015
I personally either don't have the money to buy one or when I do, I find something else better to spend it on. I usually practice on this nice piece of tartan that I use in my magic chest to prevent humidity getting to my cards. It works well if you clip it together, is portable, sports Scotland heritage spirit, and is only $5. Would I trade it for a close-up pad? Sure...for free. But otherwise, probably not. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TerryAdy

Elite Member
Sep 22, 2013
Nacogdoches, Texas
www.TerryAdy.com
Personally, I build close up pads so I never really think twice about this.
The one I use at home is 1,000,000 double rub tested suede on one side and Gator on the other. The size is simply Ludicrous, I spent more money in materials on that one pad (at MY cost) than what the highest priced pads out there cost, fully built. I was bored and felt like building a massive masterpiece.

I imagine there are many features most people want in a pad. I usually take custom requests. Usually those requests are for me to gaff coins for black out effects and things of that nature, to match the pad itself.

There is nothing wrong with a "cheaper" version of a pad as long as it suits YOUR needs. Ultimately that's the only thing that matters. If you find something that works for you, then you're all set!

Terry Ady

Reactions: WolfSage
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results