Best Mentalism Effects On The Market

Aug 31, 2007
I'm curious to see all of your opinions . I'm looking for amazing fresh Mentalist effects on the market. What're some of your favourites ??

I will add I'm not looking for any effects with playing cards as I have to many already .

Cheers

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You largely excluded playing cards already, since you're asking about mentalism.

What have you studied in regards to mentalism?

Reactions: ProAma

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Excluding playing cards is foolish but suit yourself. Go check out Astronomical by Peter Turner.

Aug 31, 2007
I'd appreciate actual references to effects and not smart alec remarks please and thank you ....

To each their own Grant I have to many card effects . I'm looking to pursue drawing duplications, remote viewing, book tests, anything with currency stuff like that.

Aug 31, 2007
Im interested in steam 2.0 but I really am hesitant on ordering it, I have an idea on how it's done ..If it's how I imagine it then I'm not really into that handling .

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ok so you're not actually interested in studying mentalism but just want a list of tricks.

Study the fundamentals, you'll learn everything on your list.

Reactions: ParkinT and ProAma
I have Steam 2.0 and I highly recommend it. Psypher 2.0 is another great effect that's similar to it but I use it for a different performance. Word In A Million is pretty decent but I prefer Max Maven's book test taught in his lecture and would use Word In A Million as an out. Svenpad combined with Astronomical by Peter Turner is pretty killer. I also have Hack by Peter Turner and it's effective when used in the right conditions. My best advice is to get Max Maven's Live Lecture, Richard Osterlind and Bob Cassidy's Lecture, Patrick Redford's Lecture, and any of Peter Turner's Live Lecture. Peter Turner's Freefrom Mentalism is good but you have to have the right character to pull it off I feel.

Aug 31, 2007
Ok so you're not actually interested in studying mentalism but just want a list of tricks.

Study the fundamentals, you'll learn everything on your list.
I know quite a bit on Mentalism thank you very much, im interested in what the good people on theory 11 have to say...I'm bored with Mentalism and am simply trying to spice it up...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you are bored with your mentalism, then change up your presentations.

Almost all of mentalism is based on the same, very few, methods with a different presentation.

Peeking a card is the same as peeking a billet is the same as peeking a drawing on a comic board backer. The difference comes from the performance, presentation, premise, and so on. Make the routines personal and you'll never get bored with them.

I always encourage folks to study continuously. Pick up books. I just got a stack of them over the holidays I'm working my way through. Don't worry about effects - learn the systems and come up with your own effects.

Nov 7, 2011
people like CT is why i stay off magic forums... they're a lot like scuba board and all other "expert" sites! Smart a** never changes!!!

Jan 14, 2017
Peeking a card is the same as peeking a billet is the same as peeking a drawing on a comic board backer. The difference comes from the performance, presentation, premise, and so on. Make the routines personal and you'll never get bored with them.
Well stated.
Wise advice.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I know quite a bit on Mentalism thank you very much, im interested in what the good people on theory 11 have to say...I'm bored with Mentalism and am simply trying to spice it up...

Knowledge is relative. Have you read Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals, Anneman's Practical Mental Magic, Fulves's Self-Working Mentalism, Banachek's Psychological Subtleties, Corinda's 13 Steps, T.A. Water's Mind, Myth and Magic, Bresler's Switchcraft, Leslie's Paramiracles and Maven's Prism? I would say you need to have read 80% of those books plus a couple others to "know quite a bit."

Take a look at Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment. It is a great book with amazing scripts that are mostly magic. However, it will change how you think about presenting mentalism. I have copies of the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe and The Brothers Grimm. Great fodder for ideas and presentations.

people like CT is why i stay off magic forums...

Actually, it is people like @ChristopherT that make some magic forums worthwhile. The importance is recognizing the difference between what someone wants (a list of cool tricks) and what someone needs (encouragement to learn the fundamentals and develop original material). I'd much rather have a discussion with people who challenge my assumptions and present me with a different worldview based on their experience than someone who makes me feel good by giving me the answer I want.

Dec 29, 2017

Almost all of mentalism is based on the same, very few, methods with a different presentation.

I always encourage folks to study continuously. Pick up books. I just got a stack of them over the holidays I'm working my way through. Don't worry about effects - learn the systems and come up with your own effects.

A lot of wisdom in here and RealityOne’s post. Gimmicks can be useful but mentalism can almost be boiled down to 13 steps, practical mental magic and prism (add more lit. and lectures as needed) + your own interpretation. They don’t even have to be outlandish. A fundamentally strong routine beats one with a bunch of gimmicked items performed robotically. So follow what you’re strong at when it comes to getting the audiences attention.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results