Thailand : Any cardists?

Jan 21, 2017
Hi!

Are there any cardists in Thailand?

Where can you get decent cards?

The laws in Thailand are ridiculous. Import of cards is forbidden, it is forbidden to own more than 120 playing cards that do not have the official "tax paid" stamp. So I am breaking the law on two counts already.

The only shops I have found that actually sells cards are the 7/11. These cards are 100% plastic. They are incredibly slippery, and using them does not improve matters.

I can't fan them, packets don't stay together, cards slip off unexpectedly, the edges are relatively "sharp", they are stiff, somewhat heavier than paper cards, and I don't like the smell.

They do appear to be quite durable....

If I order from abroad there is the risk that the cards will be confiscated by customs.

Help!

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for the very quick reply.

I'll order some from them.

Next time in Bangkok I'll check out Chatuchak, I guess that is one place to go for less official stuff.

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for the very quick reply.

I'll order some from them.

Next time in Bangkok I'll check out Chatuchak, I guess that is one place to go for less official stuff.
just a head's up, Chatuchak is not that reliable, since they sell some fake cards too, and the shop that I linked also sells fake Jerry's Nuggets cards, just a head's up. :)

Jan 21, 2017
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. I'll order some standard Bicycle packs at 150 Baht/pop + 50 Baht EMS and look into ordering over the internet.

Wish I had brought a load more seconds with me last time I had the opportunity, could have picked them up for a Dollar or so a pack.

I had visions of being clapped in jail and fined thousands of Baht after I read about the Pattaya Bridge players.

Jan 21, 2017
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. I'll order some standard Bicycle packs at 150 Baht/pop + 50 Baht EMS and look into ordering over the internet.

Wish I had brought a load more seconds with me last time I had the opportunity, could have picked them up for a Dollar or so a pack.

I had visions of being clapped in jail and fined thousands of Baht after I read about the Pattaya Bridge players.
I think they were busted after gambling in Pattaya, not playing with cards, I think that can be clarified pretty easily in Thailand, since I was told not to "gamble" in the food store, but clarified it pretty quickly that I wasn't gambling, and that I do magic and was just practicing. :)

Jan 21, 2017
http://runitdecks.com/ If you are looking to order online, this shop is located in the Philippines, and shipping is pretty normal-priced, some limited edition, rare, cards, such as the Bee Stingers, are pretty cheap here, and if you go over a certain price while ordering, you get some freebies too.

Jan 21, 2017
They want about 200 Baht per deck for international delivery.... :-(

The "OhHo" Bicycle decks at 150 Baht are reasonably competitive, that's about USD 4, maybe he'll give a discount for bulk. Anyway, I've ordered a couple of decks to check deliveries. He has some nice cards as well, although I am not a collector. It would mean more stuff to move around.

(The oldies in the Bridge club were busted on three counts. Playing Bridge, having too many untaxed cards and selling alcohol. Some sad ar5eh0le informed the police)

Cardistry does not seem big in Thailand. There are more involved in Singapore and Vietnam.

Jan 21, 2017
They want about 200 Baht per deck for international delivery.... :-(

The "OhHo" Bicycle decks at 150 Baht are reasonably competitive, that's about USD 4, maybe he'll give a discount for bulk. Anyway, I've ordered a couple of decks to check deliveries. He has some nice cards as well, although I am not a collector. It would mean more stuff to move around.

(The oldies in the Bridge club were busted on three counts. Playing Bridge, having too many untaxed cards and selling alcohol. Some sad ar5eh0le informed the police)

Cardistry does not seem big in Thailand. There are more involved in Singapore and Vietnam.
Ooo, if you are a fan of cards (like a big fan of them) or a collector, you can have a total of 250 untaxed cards, and that is it, anything else is illegal so just keep it under 250 (which is a pretty high number in my opinion) :)

Jan 21, 2017
The number is 120 cards/person. (section 8 of the Playing Cards Act 1943)

That is only TWO decks.

My little pile is already way over the legal limit, but I doubt if anyone knows or cares. I was concerned with carrying them across the border or importing them by post.

I find it interesting that playing cards is one law that the Thais will not openly flaunt, and they will tell you to stop playing in restaurants.

Jan 21, 2017
The number is 120 cards/person. (section 8 of the Playing Cards Act 1943)

That is only TWO decks.

My little pile is already way over the legal limit, but I doubt if anyone knows or cares. I was concerned with carrying them across the border or importing them by post.

I find it interesting that playing cards is one law that the Thais will not openly flaunt, and they will tell you to stop playing in restaurants.
oh shit, then it means, that you and me are (quote on quote) "criminals" according to the law. damn.

Jan 21, 2017
Packs arrived by EMS today.

All sealed, I was a bit concerned that Thai customs would have opened them and put stamps on the cards.

Great service, thanks for recommending him.

Jan 21, 2017
Live in Thailand and it's not worth it as I've been umm talked to for doing card tricks out in the open.

Yeah, it's weird.

They'll go around drunk, no helmets, sell alcohol anytime, carry illegal weapons but cards in public? Never.

Although the 7/11 sell cards....

I have been told to stop playing patience in a restaurant by the owner.

The Thais really have their heads up their bums on this.

Sep 13, 2014
Yeah, it's weird.

They'll go around drunk, no helmets, sell alcohol anytime, carry illegal weapons but cards in public? Never.

Although the 7/11 sell cards....

I have been told to stop playing patience in a restaurant by the owner.

The Thais really have their heads up their bums on this.

Mai pen rai I guess?

What's interesting is the cards at 7-11 are sold behind the counter not in the open.

Mar 30, 2017
Hi guys,

new member here. I came across this thread while researching about what's currently happening to me.

So here's the story: I recently ordered a brick of Virts SS16 decks directly from their official store. 9 days ago, I received an email from a FedEx employee, stating that the shipment was randomly selected for inspection by customs at BKK airport. They suspected that the value of the goods was misdeclared and asked for further proof of payment. Turns out that Art of Play, whose relation to the Virts is not quite clear to me, had indeed misdeclared the value as $2 per deck, x 12 = $24 !!

I immediately apologized with the FedEx employee and provided a proper PayPal receipt with the correct value. In the meantime, I was contacted by a support person at Art of Play, also informing me about the shipment being halted. I complained about this incident and pointed out that it was against US federal law to misdeclare export goods. His answer was (paraphrased): "We've been doing this for over 10 years with all decks and never had any problems. If you want us to declare the proper value, please let us know in an email after you have placed your order." Seriously?! I need to actively tell them: "Please act according to the law" ?!

Back to the story. Today, after 9 days of waiting, the FedEx employee informs me that I was trying to import restricted goods without a license. That's when I came across this joke of a law from 1937 (revised in 1943). Kind of reminded me of that Simpsons episode where they were reinforcing goofy old laws, like considering kicking a can more than 5 times "illegal transport of litter." I mean, you can buy telescope batons, tasers, brass knuckles, flip knives, ..... at any night market. But more than 120 pieces of paper? Oh my Buddha! Shouldn't they also ban pen an paper, because you know, you can just make your own cards. And don't get me started about all the gambling that's actually going on in snooker halls, bars, back alleys, illegal lotteries, .....

So, I politely asked the FedEx person to try to explain the use of the cards to the customs officer, including a link to the Virts' liquid paper video. I doubt it will help though...

What do you guys think?

I'll keep you posted.

- John

Jan 21, 2017
Hi guys,

new member here. I came across this thread while researching about what's currently happening to me.

So here's the story: I recently ordered a brick of Virts SS16 decks directly from their official store. 9 days ago, I received an email from a FedEx employee, stating that the shipment was randomly selected for inspection by customs at BKK airport. They suspected that the value of the goods was misdeclared and asked for further proof of payment. Turns out that Art of Play, whose relation to the Virts is not quite clear to me, had indeed misdeclared the value as $2 per deck, x 12 = $24 !!

I immediately apologized with the FedEx employee and provided a proper PayPal receipt with the correct value. In the meantime, I was contacted by a support person at Art of Play, also informing me about the shipment being halted. I complained about this incident and pointed out that it was against US federal law to misdeclare export goods. His answer was (paraphrased): "We've been doing this for over 10 years with all decks and never had any problems. If you want us to declare the proper value, please let us know in an email after you have placed your order." Seriously?! I need to actively tell them: "Please act according to the law" ?!

Back to the story. Today, after 9 days of waiting, the FedEx employee informs me that I was trying to import restricted goods without a license. That's when I came across this joke of a law from 1937 (revised in 1943). Kind of reminded me of that Simpsons episode where they were reinforcing goofy old laws, like considering kicking a can more than 5 times "illegal transport of litter." I mean, you can buy telescope batons, tasers, brass knuckles, flip knives, ..... at any night market. But more than 120 pieces of paper? Oh my Buddha! Shouldn't they also ban pen an paper, because you know, you can just make your own cards. And don't get me started about all the gambling that's actually going on in snooker halls, bars, back alleys, illegal lotteries, .....

So, I politely asked the FedEx person to try to explain the use of the cards to the customs officer, including a link to the Virts' liquid paper video. I doubt it will help though...

What do you guys think?

I'll keep you posted.

- John
Dude I can't really say anything, I've ordered white lions from overseas with no problem. You just had a really bad turn of luck, and that it was confiscated, and yeah dude you should've been aware of the law. Thailand is a [edited by moderator] annoying place, you can't really use cards anywhere here without getting [edited by moderator] eyeballed by some over-judging stranger. We can't do anything. Sorry about your order dude. Thai's are [edited] ignorant pieces of [edited], and probably won't listen to your use of the cards. They have a problem with the cards, since they judge us about "gambling", they are wayyy to [edited] ignorant to understand cards cant be used for something else. Good luck dude. I'm on your side, hope you get your cards soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2017
I've actually got a brick of White Lions Series B in transit as we speak :D:D:D Ordered them almost simultaneously with the SS16s. I hope I won't get prosecuted as a multiple offender...

I've been living in Thailand for a while and have come to accept some of the Thai's quirks (superstition, bureaucracy, etc.). I know it's illegal to import or own sex toys, e-cigarettes, discredit the King, ... Ok, their country, their rules. I could therefore think of a lot of things that I would research prior to ordering. But playing cards? It really didn't cross my mind. Not for a second. Shouldn't it be illegal import dice? Mint coins? While in the mean time cock fighting is tolerated or even officially supported as part of ancient Thai tradition. (But of course, nobody would ever bet in those...)

I wouldn't talk so badly about Thai people in general. Yes, the ones dealing with thousands of [edited] tourists every year tend to be more grumpy, but I don't blame them for that. I'm actually surprised that there isn't much more violent crime against foreigners.

But their government and legal system is incredibly out of date. They need to get their priorities straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2017
Hi John,

Welcome to the Land of Retards.

How it plays out is now all up in the air.

The best result will be if you apologise a lot and get the "agent" to fix it with a bung under the table. If you can get away with one or two thousand Baht it will be a good result.

Let us know what happens.

It would be good if USPCC issued a deck purely for cardists with no pips. Just two different designs front/back.

Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results