Magic Community in Utah?

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
I'm a young magician who loves the art of magic and I want to develop my skills, but I've been so far unable to find a magic community in Utah. Are there any fellow Utahns in the forums that can help me out in finding a group?

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
Hey, I'm in Utah! I haven't found any evidence of an active magic community around here either. Maybe between the two of us we can get something started?

Sweet! Honestly that could be super fun! Where in Utah are you from? I was looking at some people's profiles on another discussion I started, and it looks like Josh Burch, one of the forum mods, is from Utah, so maybe he can help us out too haha

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Cool, cool. You said Josh Burch is in Utah as well, I wonder if he knows of any local magic communities that may or may not already exist? It'd be cool to meet up with some other magicians in person.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey guys! Utah has a really active magic community! There are 2 SAM assemblies, an IBM club as well as private clubs in Ogden and in Cache Valley. This last year we had our first of what may become a yearly convention in Salt Lake.

The Intermountain Magicians Association (IBM 193) meets at 7 every first Wednesday of the month Swinyer Residence, 4970 Waimea Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84117

This is a formal club meeting in a home theater, it is one of Utah's largest clubs. Dan Sperry will be lecturing this next month. Marcus Eddie is coming later this year as well.

The Utah Valley Magic Club (SAM 188) meets at 7 on the 3rd Thursday of every month at the Courtyard at Jamestown, 3352 North 100 East in Provo, Utah

This is another formal club that pulls in huge groups of magicians. I think it is the largest club in Utah.

The Ogden Magic Guild (SAM 300) meets at 6:30 every second Tuesday at Weberstate University.

This is Utah's newest National affiliate.

Paul Draper is probably Utah's most famous magician. He has a home in Salt Lake as well as Vegas. If you want to ever meet up let me know. I live in the Ogden area. There are also casual magic events weekly at Hatch Family chocolates in Salt Lake, and the Two Bit Street Cafe in Ogden is owned by one of Utah's best mentalists.

There is a huge booming, thriving community here in Utah. Let me know if you want more information. We should hang out sometime!​

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
Wow! Thank you so much for that wealth of information. My schedule is pretty tight right now, so I might not be able to attend activities this month, but this definitely sounds like something I'd love to look into. I had no idea that the community was this extensive, but I guess I just wasn't looking in the right places. Thank you so much!​

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Dang, I didn't realize there was that much going on around here! The Utah Valley Magic Club would be the easiest for me to get to, personally. I'm not that familiar with these organized clubs, do they require a paid membership? Thanks for the info. It'd be cool to meet up in person at some point!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wow! Thank you so much for that wealth of information. My schedule is pretty tight right now, so I might not be able to attend activities this month, but this definitely sounds like something I'd love to look into. I had no idea that the community was this extensive, but I guess I just wasn't looking in the right places. Thank you so much!​
Dang, I didn't realize there was that much going on around here! The Utah Valley Magic Club would be the easiest for me to get to, personally. I'm not that familiar with these organized clubs, do they require a paid membership? Thanks for the info. It'd be cool to meet up in person at some point!

With so many magicians some are better than others and some are old grumps that hate newbies. PM me if you'd like to meet up or if you have any questions. All of the clubs have competitions on a yearly basis as well as club performances. You can see live magic as well as have opportunities to perform.

Initially, when you attend the meetings the annoying guys will stand out. If you keep going you'll find the people who think more like you and whose company you will enjoy more.

May 4, 2014
Utah
Hi Guys! I'm the current president for the Utah Valley Magic Club (Society of American Magicians Assembly #188) in Provo, Utah! We love having new people come and join us! Looks like Josh Burch already posted our time and place of meetings! For our July meeting, we are having a lecture by Trevor Duffy who will be visiting our club. The cost for the lecture is $20 per person. It's going to be Awesome! Other than lectures, there is currently no cost to come to our meetings! I can add you to our club e-mail list if you guys want...I just need your e-mail address! Hope to see you guys at a future club meeting! We have a great group! Let me know if you have any questions!

-Jason

Reactions: Lindel
Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Oh, I'd almost forgotten about this! I've been meaning to get out to a meeting, I've just been really busy lately. I'll PM you my email address.

Aug 8, 2018
Do you guys still do magic nowadays? I’ve been looking for a club to go and hangout with but so far this is the closest I’ve come to finding anything @Josh Burch

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results