America's Got Talent audition???

Jan 14, 2017
Your version of Triumph could be a candidate. I wonder if that GREAT sponge balls routine of yours would be suitable - a bit small, close and personal - for the judges directly?

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Your version of Triumph could be a candidate. I wonder if that GREAT sponge balls routine of yours would be suitable - a bit small, close and personal - for the judges directly?
They didn't like the Triumph and asked me to avoid card tricks at all unless super visual. :/

I pitched my spongeballs routine so waiting to hear back what she says.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Im testing new material with the invisible purse. May be a good time to bring it out to the public? It is mainly the sponge ball routine but the actual star of the show will be the purse. Producing different objects out of it then maybe ending with "double cross?" strong visual magic that doesn't require much talking to set up... haha

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Im testing new material with the invisible purse. May be a good time to bring it out to the public? It is mainly the sponge ball routine but the actual star of the show will be the purse. Producing different objects out of it then maybe ending with "double cross?" strong visual magic that doesn't require much talking to set up... haha
That would be cool! Can I make a suggestion? Maybe out of the purses you make some balls appear (which you are already doing), then you make 3 small cups appear for a cups and balls routine, or one small chop cup for a chop cup routine? Then you can end with making them vanish back into the "purse". Bring out a pen for a magic wand, and you are left to close with Double Cross.

P.S. Just make sure you contact the Creators of any effects about using something. Some people don't like to have their stuff on TV.

Reactions: ParkinT

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
That would be cool! Can I make a suggestion? Maybe out of the purses you make some balls appear (which you are already doing), then you make 3 small cups appear for a cups and balls routine, or one small chop cup for a chop cup routine? Then you can end with making them vanish back into the "purse". Bring out a pen for a magic wand, and you are left to close with Double Cross.

P.S. Just make sure you contact the Creators of any effects about using something. Some people don't like to have their stuff on TV.

That sounds like a cool idea but i only have like 6 0 seconds.... lol it is too long. Great ideas though!

And yes ill reach out to anyone whose material i use

They didn't like the Triumph and asked me to avoid card tricks at all unless super visual. :/
This is such a key thing that we as magicians forget is what actually entertains laymen. Laymen are not as interested as what magicians are unless it is as she said "super visual". That is such great advice for anyone on here.

Best of luck Michael!

Jan 14, 2017
I agree that the 'invisible purse' is a great choice. Remember that you can entreat the judges by producing (from your invisible purse) something that holds 'personal significance' to one (if not all) of the judges.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This can be a tough one, mainly because from what I've seen, you have a nice collection of effects to choose from. I've seen some card effects performed on the show but (like a broken record), they've all been pretty visual effects. At the same time, I've also seen a magician on there do effects that can be purchased in a kid's magic kit from Walmart, and get pretty far in the competition...as well as famous for their performance. So the idea of what impresses people is sometimes nowhere near our idea of what impresses them and sometimes the K.I.S.S. approach gets more mileage

Mentalism seems to impress them a lot as well.

That being said, I can only reiterate to go with something very visual. You're good bro and I think you'll do well no matter what you choose to do. I wish the best to you and @Justinquill and look forward to seeing episodes featuring you guys.

Reactions: ParkinT

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I like the purse idea! I hate it when they just do some self working trick.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
On television I want to see what skills they have. They're a skilled magician and are on national television because of that, I want them to bring it.
On YouTube to me a video of a self working trick is just a trailer where you don't tell me who makes the trick. This is just a rant I have about TV and video magic, not about self working tricks in other contexts.

I love watching sleight of hand on television and can't wait to see Mr. O'Brien and (not see) his invisible purse!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
On television I want to see what skills they have. They're a skilled magician and are on national television because of that, I want them to bring it.
On YouTube to me a video of a self working trick is just a trailer where you don't tell me who makes the trick. This is just a rant I have about TV and video magic, not about self working tricks in other contexts.

I love watching sleight of hand on television and can't wait to see Mr. O'Brien and (not see) his invisible purse!
Fair enough.
I personally really enjoy watching self workers. I prefer getting really into the performance and the story as opposed to watching the actual effect. But that's just my opinion :)

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
It' gold to research what has already been performed on the show. Sponge balls have already been performed on that show. Not saying you cannot use Sponge balls in a different way..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results