Jan 2, 2016
California
A bunch of people have been urging me to do magic in the school talent show coming up on November 30th. I do mostly street type magic with cards, coins, everyday objects so stage magic is somewhat different for me. I was thinking maybe a classic Chop cup routine would work but I'm not sure. Most of the talents are likely going to be music related so I'm assuming the act has to be under 5 minutes or so. I was also thinking it would be best to maybe start with a few quick tricks (I had an idea with Dresscode and an Appearing Cane) and then go through one routine for the rest of the act. Anyone have any good ideas? Thank You!

Reactions: Theris
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The first thing I would say is if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Performing sucks when you don't feel like performing.

Next, a chop cup routine would be good. I would do something you're most comfortable with.

Maybe some mental magic? Large Spongeballs, if you are comfortable with them?

Jan 2, 2016
California
The first thing I would say is if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Performing sucks when you don't feel like performing.

Next, a chop cup routine would be good. I would do something you're most comfortable with.

Maybe some mental magic? Large Spongeballs, if you are comfortable with them?
I want to tbh. Could be fun. Plus it's like 99% singers so a magic act would spice things up. I can't really do serious mental magic because it just doesn't work for me as a teenager. Spongeballs might work.

Apr 26, 2013
My son has done the talent show the past 3 years at his school. He's in the 5th grade now, but the routines he's done: linking rings, a production box (similar to square-circle, but different method), and last year was 20th century silks. This year, he is doing a coin flight routine similar to Copenetro. I agree with RealityOne, less is more. Two to three minutes or so should be plenty and if you decide to do more than one effect, make sure they flow together. When my son did 20th Century silks, it was a little too short, so he opened with a silk streamer through neck.

A chop cup routine would be great. Depending on how long it is, that might be all you need to do.

Jan 2, 2016
California
@Antonio Diavolo, for a performance like that, less is more. Pick a single routine that has a strong presentation which draws the audience in.
That's why I was thinking the Chop cup would work.
My son has done the talent show the past 3 years at his school. He's in the 5th grade now, but the routines he's done: linking rings, a production box (similar to square-circle, but different method), and last year was 20th century silks. This year, he is doing a coin flight routine similar to Copenetro. I agree with RealityOne, less is more. Two to three minutes or so should be plenty and if you decide to do more than one effect, make sure they flow together. When my son did 20th Century silks, it was a little too short, so he opened with a silk streamer through neck.

A chop cup routine would be great. Depending on how long it is, that might be all you need to do.
Exactly. I was thinking I'd start by going on stage in my normal clothes and remarking how I know I'm not dressed like a traditional magician, then use Dresscode to switch to a t-shirt tux and say something like "There we go! That's uh...not much better" then go into the main routine.

Aug 15, 2017
Aaaaah...I have been in the exact position you are now **sighs reminiscently**

I can't really do serious mental magic because it just doesn't work for me as a teenager. Spongeballs might work.
Erm... maybe you mean that serious mental magic won't work for you, and spongeballs will work for you?
Because I think teens will be much more up for mentalism or mind-reading and stuff like that than...spongeballs.
Of course, it is always better to do what you are comfortable with and a cool spngeball routine will win over a boring mentalism one any day.
However, my suggestions will be DON'T DO CARD TRICKS unless they are srsly visible.
And try to involve anything which can improve the visibility of your effects.
And be very gutsy, don't hesitate to do the unusual and invade personal space of a volunteer IN A POLITE MANNER.
Unless you feel that calling a volunteer will be too much for a routine under 5 minutes?
I feel you should go with whatever you are best with. You can try a new effect, but do not try to learn a new sleight. The time period of one month might be enough to get a sleight smooth, but not enough to give you confidence of hitting it naturally and you don't shaking hands on-stage.
Am not actually suggesting effects because I feel you can get those pretty fine. But ultimately you will realise that the best are those you are familiar with and are confident. Your main attention should be more on the performance itself since you are not very used to stage magic, because stage magic and close-up magic are two different ball-games. :)

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia

Erm... maybe you mean that serious mental magic won't work for you, and spongeballs will work for you?
Because I think teens will be much more up for mentalism or mind-reading and stuff like that than...spongeballs.

I disagree. Sponge balls get amazing reactions from everyone if done right. And as a highschooler myself, I have always been more fascinated with sponge balls over mentalism unless the mentalism is actually a really nice long routine. That's IMO, but I have gotten insane reactions with sponge balls, and mixed reactions with mentalism.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jul 26, 2016
Yes, the sponge balls are super strong. I prefer to do the Multiplying Rabbits; I present it as a love story, with lots of comedy and even have the rabbits talk to the people. This routine is probably the most requested routine I do - well, along with the Chop Cup and Card on Ceiling.

Jan 2, 2016
California

Of course, it is always better to do what you are comfortable with and a cool spngeball routine will win over a boring mentalism one any day.
However, my suggestions will be DON'T DO CARD TRICKS unless they are srsly visible.
And try to involve anything which can improve the visibility of your effects.
And be very gutsy, don't hesitate to do the unusual and invade personal space of a volunteer IN A POLITE MANNER.
Unless you feel that calling a volunteer will be too much for a routine under 5 minutes?
I feel you should go with whatever you are best with. You can try a new effect, but do not try to learn a new sleight. The time period of one month might be enough to get a sleight smooth, but not enough to give you confidence of hitting it naturally and you don't shaking hands on-stage.
Am not actually suggesting effects because I feel you can get those pretty fine. But ultimately you will realise that the best are those you are familiar with and are confident. Your main attention should be more on the performance itself since you are not very used to stage magic, because stage magic and close-up magic are two different ball-games. :)
Thanks for the tips mate. But I just don't feel like I as a person could pull off a serious mentalism routine. Teens might like it better, but I don't know how convincing I'd be. I did not plan on doing card or coin tricks really as that's much more suited for closeup and street magic.
I disagree. Sponge balls get amazing reactions from everyone if done right. And as a highschooler myself, I have always been more fascinated with sponge balls over mentalism unless the mentalism is actually a really nice long routine. That's IMO, but I have gotten insane reactions with sponge balls, and mixed reactions with mentalism.
I left my spongeballs in my backpack after this volunteer thing I did magic for. I pulled them out during class once and I was like "eh screw it, let's try them out". The kids freaked out. Then I showed the teacher and she freaked out too. Turns out, all people really love a good (or even semi-decent) spongeballs routine. It really is strange how effective they can be.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I left my spongeballs in my backpack after this volunteer thing I did magic for. I pulled them out during class once and I was like "eh screw it, let's try them out". The kids freaked out. Then I showed the teacher and she freaked out too. Turns out, all people really love a good (or even semi-decent) spongeballs routine. It really is strange how effective they can be.
Sponge balls have a special place in my heart because they were one of - if not the - first things that I performed the first time I performed for complete strangers. And people FREAK OUT!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results