Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California

Does anyone know the name of the phone unlock trick Chris does in the video? And no I'm not asking for the method, just the name of the trick. Because I've seen others do this exact trick and it seems too impossible. I'm not accusing Chris of faking the video, I know he wouldn't do that. I'm just thinking there was some prior setup that was cut to avoid revealing the method.

Aug 15, 2017

Does anyone know the name of the phone unlock trick Chris does in the video? And no I'm not asking for the method, just the name of the trick. Because I've seen others do this exact trick and it seems too impossible. I'm not accusing Chris of faking the video, I know he wouldn't do that. I'm just thinking there was some prior setup that was cut to avoid revealing the method.
completely irrelevant, but I dunno why you would hate asking that.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Possibly because it's borderline rude to ask how a fellow magician does something as it implies a desire to copy the act. Alternatively it's also possible that admitting one doesn't know a method is seen as an admission of being a "lesser" magician, because magic has been turned into a puzzle to figure out - a puzzle which the magician should have the answer to, always.

Could be something totally different, though, I have no way of knowing.

Aug 15, 2017
Possibly because it's borderline rude to ask how a fellow magician does something as it implies a desire to copy the act. Alternatively it's also possible that admitting one doesn't know a method is seen as an admission of being a "lesser" magician, because magic has been turned into a puzzle to figure out - a puzzle which the magician should have the answer to, always.

hmm...I see what you mean in the 'lesser magician' thing.
But honestly, if one of you guys were to show me something I wanted to learn and I couldn't ask for the method directly, the first thing I would ask is the name of the effect, the source, etc. I mean, being in the magic fraternity, one has the right to do that!!
Of course, my view might seem childish, purely because I am looking at this from the moral angle. I frankly don't know anything about the business side of it.
I think the reason I would be afraid to ask the name of an effect here atleast is due to the fear of being heckled!
:p:p:p:p:p
but of course, you guys prove me wrong :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So, this is all my opinion, and I openly acknowledge that my views are not in line with most people in the magic world.

There's a difference between asking what a specific trick is, and asking about a premise or set of resources. For instance, this one - You can ask "How did Ramsay know this guy's code?" Or you can ask, "What are some resources to learn this kind of thing?"

The first question implies someone is trying to solve a puzzle, either to satisfy their own curiosity or to copy the video. ie: Either they just want to know, or they want to know so they can do the exact same thing.

The second question indicates someone's going to explore the concept, find a variety of methods and presentations, and build their own thing from there.

The difference between the two is the maturity of the approach. Most newer magicians I see, ask the first question. Developed performers who have a solid idea of who and what they are, ask the second one.

Personally, and I know I've said this a lot, I don't like the idea of doing what other people do. I want every routine I do to be unique to me. So when I get interested in something I gather as many resources on both the premise I'm using and the method as I can locate, and study them all. I break it all down, and build my own thing from the ground up.

I don't know the specific method Ramsay used in that video - but I know I could divine someone's PIN code with one of a half dozen different approaches, because I did get interested in the idea at one point. So I checked out many different methods and I have those tucked away in my mind for future use.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So, this is all my opinion, and I openly acknowledge that my views are not in line with most people in the magic world.

There's a difference between asking what a specific trick is, and asking about a premise or set of resources. For instance, this one - You can ask "How did Ramsay know this guy's code?" Or you can ask, "What are some resources to learn this kind of thing?"

The first question implies someone is trying to solve a puzzle, either to satisfy their own curiosity or to copy the video. ie: Either they just want to know, or they want to know so they can do the exact same thing.

The second question indicates someone's going to explore the concept, find a variety of methods and presentations, and build their own thing from there.

The difference between the two is the maturity of the approach. Most newer magicians I see, ask the first question. Developed performers who have a solid idea of who and what they are, ask the second one.

Personally, and I know I've said this a lot, I don't like the idea of doing what other people do. I want every routine I do to be unique to me. So when I get interested in something I gather as many resources on both the premise I'm using and the method as I can locate, and study them all. I break it all down, and build my own thing from the ground up.

I don't know the specific method Ramsay used in that video - but I know I could divine someone's PIN code with one of a half dozen different approaches, because I did get interested in the idea at one point. So I checked out many different methods and I have those tucked away in my mind for future use.

I agree with this 100%.

I don't think we have the right to know anything in magic. I also think it's a beautiful thing to have someones secrets go with them to the grave. I kind of love that aspect of magic, that it's not all known. Being a part of the magic fraternity doesn't mean you must have access to every secret and being a part of an internet forum doesn't necessarily make you a part of the magic fraternity.

There's a layer of respect for Chris as well. He is a professional. He gets gigs doing this material. It happens a lot that when you perform, for younger people especially, that they will say things like, "I'm going to You Tube that!". Some just say this, but others actually do it. Just by having this conversation online we've made the secret more available for those looking for it. That could be seen as a negative thing.

I don't think Chris Ramsay has a problem with this kind of discussion online though, judging by his You Tube content. I can't say for certain, but at this point he teaches and talks about much of what he does professionally. That leads me to believe that he doesn't mind a productive conversation.

I'm about 90% sure of the method he's using. In his past videos he's referenced it. I'll PM you the method he uses if you'd like, keep in mind it is a product that ranges from $74-400 depending on whether you get the deluxe version with all of the extra bells and whistles.

For alternative methods look into Cal-Ender by Michael Murray, this is what is taught in Code Breaker by Greg Wilson. Hack by Peter Turner has a few ways to do this, Peter Turner's At the Table Lecture is devoted almost completely to unlocking cell phones. Peter Turner also has a version he calls the 7 keys of baldpate, it adds some process. Rick Lax shares a nice subtlety that is super bold that is clean but not all that convincing and of course you have Morgan Strebbler's work on the plot. Peter Turner goes into Strebbler's version on his download Hack but Morgan goes into more detail on his DVD with Sansminds. Michael Murray has an incredible effect with 2 cell phones called Daylight Robbery. The conditions are tough but you are able to unlock 2 cell phones at a time. Gerraint Clarke teaches perhaps the cleanest version of the effect on his DVD the Eden Project, I use this method from time to time it is very difficult for me and doesn't always work. The pluses associated with Ramsay's method is that it is super clean, easy and 100%. Good luck with the price tag though!

Reactions: TwofSpades

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California

I feel like asking about the name of the trick is kinda like asking for the method in a way. I don’t do it often. Only when I see something I’d like to use in my own performances. I really don’t mind seeming like a lesser magician.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I probably should’ve clarified. Even as a magician, I still like to be fooled and there are some tricks that I really do not want to know the method for. The way i worded the post makes it sound like I just wanted the method because I couldn’t figure it out.

In reality, I’m only ever curious about the method when I see a trick that I would perform myself.

For example, the work of Shin Lim like his Dream Act. Absolutely incredible performance that has me floored with most of the tricks he does. I have no desire to learn the method because

1. Its more fun not knowing.
2. It’s very clearly Shin Lim’s style and would not work with the type of magic and personalty I have.

Sorry for the confusion. Totally my fault. I should’ve clarified.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results