Tenkai palms tips and assurance? I CRAVE FOR IT!!!

Aug 15, 2017
Okay, so I have been practising the tenkai palm for a while now
(that is how you make the most cliché start to a post:) )
and I wondered if you guys can tell me somethings to avoid messing up my angles. I am doing the mirror-practice, but I always have this fear that maybe in the mirror it looks fine, but in a real life performance people will be like, "Yo! I can see that!"
So, some detailed stuff on how to prevent flashes?
And some general tips on the move will be great too!

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2016
The weak angle for the Tenkai palm (assuming you are doing the palm in your right hand) is to your left. It is (or at least should be) shielded from spectators on your right by back of the hand palming the card. Also, it will flash to people standing behind you unless your hand is in such a position that your body shields your hand from their view.

I love to do the Tenkai when I am paying with a credit card at a restaurant or store (angles permitting, of course). Show them the card, vanish it, then reproduce it out of "thin air." Always gets a great reaction. I also use it before giving my business card to someone, and with a playing card(s) just as a quick magical bit of business during or after a card routine.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I personally prefer a Tenkai palm when I'm seated at a table. You can turn your hand so that the exposed view is only to you, and block out the left side by naturally putting your other hand on the table.

The Tenkai is difficult to use when you surrounded, I would suggest using a Cop over it. But if you are going to use it, I would suggest doing it slightly modified and lower in the palm, allowing you to keep your hand at your side and look more natural.

Apr 25, 2017
I agree with Maaz. But if you insist on preforming it standing, imagine that the flatness of the card is a laser and always aim the laser at the spectator's eyes.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Chris Ramsay says that :)
My problem is...I can't seem to assure myself that my aim is correct.
First work on getting the actual handling. Then, put a card in Tenkai and walk around town for a day. I drove over to Downtown DC one day, kept a card in classic palm the whole time I walked around the city. It doesn't do much practice wise, but it somehow boosted my confidence. I wasn't trying to hid it from anyone or do anything with it. I just made it feel as natural as possible.

Aug 15, 2017
First work on getting the actual handling. Then, put a card in Tenkai and walk around town for a day. I drove over to Downtown DC one day, kept a card in classic palm the whole time I walked around the city. It doesn't do much practice wise, but it somehow boosted my confidence. I wasn't trying to hid it from anyone or do anything with it. I just made it feel as natural as possible.
so...even if someone sees the card, it is cool?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
so...even if someone sees the card, it is cool?
Yeah. I mean, you're not performing or anything, right? Literally no one asked me anything, and I doubt more than a few people even saw it, and I'm pretty sure no one payed attention to it. And if they do ask you, why not take the opportunity to go into a small performance?

Reactions: Lord Magic
Apr 25, 2017
Chris Ramsay says that :)
My problem is...I can't seem to assure myself that my aim is correct.
I pretty much only use it when I am working with a table because I am sure that they cannot see under so I can hold my hand at any angle as long as the card points above or near their eyes. I got good at that through performing Lennart Green's Snap Deal for the longest time. Would recommend just a normal palm with misdirection for occasions when you are standing up.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Mirror work is good but it assumes everyones eye level is similar to your own. Unless you are super tall or short then this is usually okay. In addition to that if you have a really tall person and short person standing together then there may be an issue there as well. However when people are sitting there heads tend to line up near the same.

When using the mirror try to see how much room you have to play with when in that palm, that is how far can your hands move without the card being seen by you. That range of motion will help you discern how people of different heights will see/not see what you are doing. There is usually a range that is good for most people despite the occasional super tall/short person.

There is also recording your moves via a device instead of or in conjunction with a mirror. I find recording nicer because I can focus on the preformance not looking at my hands then go back and check for flashes, timing and rythm. To be clear I don't start off recording, I do mirror work until I get a good working idea of my angles in the routine then incorporate recording when working with patter and so on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results