Everyday carries

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
So, now that school is officially over I've decided to open up my backpack and show you all the trick, effects and routines I carried with me on a daily basis.

It was longer than I originally intended, I apoligize. However, I feel I talked about everything I wanted to.

So for those who still attend school(and those who don't) what do you guys carry on a day to day basis? And where? In a bag like me, or in your pockets?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Pretty cool to see what other people carry.

I have no video but my everyday carry is; a deck of Bicycle cards with a red/blue gaff, if I have enough pockets I sometimes bring a random nicer deck, 2 sets of rubber bands on my wrist or in my pocket (one set for crazy man handcuffs and one for Stairway by Marcus Eddie), a paper clip, 3 or 4 50 cent pieces, some odds and end foreign coins in my pocket, my wedding ring, and sometimes a few silver dollars. Oh and of course a sharpie...using a gold one at the moment but prefer silver or red.

I usually don't use a bag so I just have to use some pocket management. If I do have a bag because I am traveling or something I bring Airtight by Sankey (not my favorite but kids seem to like it), for sure bring a nicer deck and an extra bicycle, some extra gaffs for cards like Gone Deck and a couple double facers, a silk and handkerchief and extra rubber bands. Also if I am carrying a bag I usually bring some drinking water and some fruit if where I am going allows it, not for magic but to stay hydrated and eat.

I might be in the minority here but I dislike sponge balls and don't carry them.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If we're talking EDC, then: Wallet, phone, keys, Chap Stick, and two Walking Death coins from Dead on Paper (if I'm in jeans), and lately business cards, wedding ring.

If I am going out as "The Witch Doctor" (ie: not just running errands or going to dinner with my wife) I'll also often wear a watch on the left wrist, and skull bead bracelets on the right wrist.

That being said, I have focused on propless/suggestion based methods and routines for a long time partly because I'm a little OCD and I just can't stand having my pockets full of stuff. A single deck of cards is the most I can mentally stand to have in one pocket - more than that will literally distract me regularly because I'll notice it.

So that's EDC - but if I'm doing something where I know I might perform (ie: casual get together, party, etc. not a gig) I'll usually bring backpack with various things in it. In that bag I'll bring the stuff for any routine I might consider performing, usually something I'm still working on the scripting/blocking for so I can test run it. Like, right now I'd probably take a Rubik's Cube and Free Will.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The only thing I carry with me is Inner Circle and that is just because it is always in my wallet. Might be a bad decision but I can't stand a lot in my pockets so the idea of a deck of cards in my pocket drives me nuts just thinking about it.

Reactions: 010rusty
Nov 1, 2016
I might be in the minority here but I dislike sponge balls and don't carry them.
Same here pal.

I usually carry a standard bicycle, or a nicer deck if I'm in the mood for cardistry for the day, a sharpie, a pair of french coins, some paper clips are always in my wallet (which I also carry with me at all times) a card reveal is inside the wallet, and if I'm feeling particularly magical, I might have an IT on me. But thats mostly for when I'm going to parties or dances where theres a lot of people I can talk to. I never carry a bag, I just hold everything inside my pockets. And, fun little fact, I am so used to the feel of playing cards in my pocket that I went and bought a cheap deck of plastic cards (that are standard size) so I can have them, and thus their familiar feeling and weight, in my pocket when I work out.

May 10, 2018
Usually, I just take around some rubber bands, a paperclip, the invisible deck and a regular bicycle deck with some duplicates in.

Sometimes I'll take (prepared in a different colour box, etc) the set up for the colour changing deck. Also, I'll sometimes take a sharpie with me if I want to do the ACR and I also like to use other people's phones while I'm out and about too.

Generally I don't have too much stuff so I use my pockets

Dec 29, 2017
For non magical items: My BMF leather wallet, phone (with Cypher) and a lighter (despite quitting smoking 3 years ago).

I have Aberdeen thread twisted into a bracelet usually. It’s great because I don’t want to always carry props on me, especially cards.

It makes those moments when a friend goes “hey do that card trick” even better when you pull off something that just looks like a neutral twine bracelet and organically are able to suspend disbelief. When I’m better with it, Odyssey will probably take its place.

Apr 26, 2013
I guess my photojournalism professor repeatedly saying how the best camera is the one you have on you at the time you need to take a photo has stuck with me as it pertains to carrying material on me for magic. Like some of you have shared already I try to keep my pockets empty (except for a phone, my keys, a regular minimal wallet, some pens/a sharpie) I do however have two "bags" I will use depending on where my day will take me, what I want to carry and what I want to work on in front of folks.

I think it is called a Pro-Magic Carrier (Joshua Jay is the mind behind it) but it has room for two decks, some gaffs or packet tricks and a zippered pouch where you can store a few coins). I will carry this with me everywhere I go because of its minimal size, looks professional in aesthetic, and I can attach it to my belt and it doesn't affect movement. Currently it holds a close-up mentalism set I am practicing and honing so a few of the smaller effects will shift in and out as I fine-tune it but currently it holds:
  • the first slot holds a red bicycle deck, marked (very boldly marked and no one has ever noticed)
  • a couple of lists prepared using an older method that allows me to read a thought on a list of items I need to accomplish that day (whenever I think about how bold a mentalism effect I am working on needs me to be, I will pull out these lists and run through the effect a few times to practice being very bold; it reminds me of what you can get away with and no one suspects anything).
  • a small gift card envelope which holds an alternate color back card as a prediction for a couple of different effects (currently I am working on a few prop-less mentalism effects which utilize it)
  • the second deck slot holds another red bicycle deck (so I can make a switch) that is set up for a version of Omen I am working out the fine points on.
  • the pocket in the very front holds a torn out page from a paperback book for an effect by Michael Murray which I really enjoy; a couple of cards left over from Switch and Contact which I am looking to replace - maybe with Beyond ESP or maybe something I can use as stronger opener for the set; and then a few business cards
I have a drop bag which I can attach to my leg allowing for a larger "show" if I feel like it but I originally picked it up for work as I got tired of bringing a backpack/briefcase each day.
  • room for a small paper back (or loose-leaf) book test, a couple of Rubik's cubes, also has two slots I can place decks, some envelopes for a free will type effect

Apr 26, 2013
Nope. But it is very common. Which is why I'm avoiding it.

With all of the attention Rubik's cubes have been getting on the _____ Got Talent shows (there have been at least two this year that I really enjoyed seeing) I worry about how long until this genre becomes "very common" and pushes me away as well - I try to stay away from those effects which become common in my neck of the woods; luckily the better ones are priced out of most hobbyists (I think currently) so I haven't seen it as much.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Nothing.

...kinda my wallet is a card to wallet wallet. I also carry lock picks in my wallet cause I'm cool like that. Sometimes I'll wear an extra ring and my backpack or car always has a deck of cards. Sometimes I'll put a coin in my pocket or a rubber band around my wrist.

When asked to do a trick I do a super hero anagram, I tell them the day of the week they were born, I do a lie detector test, or I do my original pin code divination. It's killer by the way ;) I also have a bunch of hyno magic that I perform out and about.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results