Bottom Dealing vs Second Dealing

Sep 10, 2017
I had been practicing the sd for a few months now, and I keep getting less motivated every day. Is there any thing that you can do with a sd that you can not do with a bd?
From what I know, it is either keeping the top card in a game with a punched deck or an out for a psychological stop force. Obviously its main use in my opinion is showing off the skill by doing it face up.
Since it riskier and harder than a BD, Is there any reason for me to try perfecting the move?

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
If you don't have a routine that requires sleight X, then there is no point in trying to perfect sleight X.

Flippancy aside, the difficulty of a strike second varies based on audience configuration. If you are performing at a close up table with people sitting across from you then it is just a matter of rhythm and angle. This is the time I use it and you could land a jumbo jet on my brief. If you have people right on top of you then things get harder. I had a summery point but I have lost it.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Sep 10, 2017
I find the second deal to be much easier than the bottom, personally, and like to use it as a control.
Yes, something I forgot to mention is that the main things I use it for are a replacement for the top change and a switch that can be used as a control.

Jason England

Elite Member
May 6, 2015
If you don't have a routine that requires sleight X, then there is no point in trying to perfect sleight X.

Couldn't disagree more. When the move in questions takes at LEAST months and usually more like years to master, working on it long before you actually "need" it shortens the time interval between finding the routine and being able to actually perform it. When I moved out of my parents' house I bought a large "all-in-one" tool kit for my apartment. Not because I needed every tool in it at the time, but because I wanted to have those tools at hand when the day came that I did need them.

Of course, not being able to shorten that time interval may not matter to you, but that's a far cry from there is "no point" in trying to perfect the move. There is, if you're looking down the road instead of at what's right in front of you.

Jason

Sep 10, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. When the move in questions takes at LEAST months and usually more like years to master, working on it long before you actually "need" it shortens the time interval between finding the routine and being able to actually perform it. When I moved out of my parents' house I bought a large "all-in-one" tool kit for my apartment. Not because I needed every tool in it at the time, but because I wanted to have those tools at hand when the day came that I did need them.

Of course, not being able to shorten that time interval may not matter to you, but that's a far cry from there is "no point" in trying to perfect the move. There is, if you're looking down the road instead of at what's right in front of you.

Jason
Wow, thanks for your answer. I never thought about it this way. I suppose I should put the time in learning SD then.

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO

Jason

I yield to you superior expertise, Mr. England, but I would point out the I said "perfect" and not "learn". I have "learned" a ton of moves that I would not considered "perfected". These I have not yet found a "need" for. That is, developed a routine that would favor un"perfected" move x over already "perfected" move y. And by "perfected" I merely mean "mastered to the point where I am completely comfortable performing it in actual performance and that it is completely hidden by the appropriate techniques (angle management, direction of attention, mechanics, etc)" I have "learned" a half dozen passes, I use one.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results