Saturday Night Contest - Everyday Powers v2!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend! If you haven't seen it already, we have released our introductory guide to Loops by Yigal Mesika called ANIMATION. Everything you need to know about getting started with Loops - what they are and how to use them - is covered in this introductory course with detailed instruction by Chris James. Because Loops make it look like you possess superpowers, we felt that it was great inspiration for another round of Everyday Powers!

Your challenge is to create and/or perform an effect that is a magical solution to an every day problem OR an effect that replicates real powers. It also doesn't have to be a practical method. It could be a method can only be viewed from only specific angle. Whatever you choose, we want you to use some creativity, make it a smooth performance with no flashing, and make it as believable as possible. That is the judging criteria for this contest.

Upload your performances to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram (hashtag it #theory11) and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST, Sunday, November 11th.

What can you win this week? 1,000 Elite Points, ANIMATION, and a deck of Gold Monarchs, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

Good luck!

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
@Casey Rudd So in the rules it says we can do tricks that work from one specific angle, so can we do Marco Tempest (side note: what is he up to these days!) style effects that only work for the camera?
Maybe a better description would be, 'Instagram Magic' - since that's what it seems like a lot of IG magic is nowadays, one tight acute angle, not really practical for real life audience, unless they're paralyzed with no sense of peripheral vision.

:D

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Googled super powers... a site gave me a list of over 100...
One of them was "Explosive Farting".. I'm sure as sugar if I took a video of me doing that, not only would I NOT win but I'm certain I'd get banned lol

Reactions: Elok

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
@Casey Rudd So in the rules it says we can do tricks that work from one specific angle, so can we do Marco Tempest (side note: what is he up to these days!) style effects that only work for the camera?
Maybe a better description would be, 'Instagram Magic' - since that's what it seems like a lot of IG magic is nowadays, one tight acute angle, not really practical for real life audience, unless they're paralyzed with no sense of peripheral vision.

:D
As long as there are no camera cuts or editing involved, it's fair game. Your description is definitely allowed!

Feb 18, 2015
So I was doing the muscle pass, and was wondering if I could somehow do this with a pen/pencil one day. This effect, after about a year of practice, looks like this. I like it more than the muscle pass :). It can be done vertically, but for the Everyday Powers Contest, I used it as I sometimes do at school: to put my pencils/pens back into the pencilcase when the bell rings.

Haschich

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2016
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Hey guys,
Here's a magical solution for the everyday life of a student, hope you guys enjoy it!

Sorry for any english mistakes, Good luck everyone!

Oh, I recommend you guys to follow the link and watch in vimeo, in the embedded player the image is too small and maybe you can not see the numbers clearly, sorry for this.

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Not the greatest execution because there are only so many bananas I can waste, but here is a fun thing I did.
Also, I realize there is no such thing as a lunch teacher, I was super tired
Just realized the banana goes out of frame, but it wasn't done with a sneaky switch or anything like that, if anyone was wondering. It's the same banana through the entire video.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, time for results! This one was tough to decide, but ultimately we had to choose a winner that captured all of the criteria the best. We were looking for a creative idea (something that we don't see all the time), in combination with making it a smooth performance, and making it look believable. It was also presented with an effortlessness that we like, because if we all had super abilities it would just look natural. With that said, congrats to severed22 for his entry! While a very simple idea, it was creative and was executed in a real world scenario. Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP!

We would also like to extend an honorable mention to Haschich and 010rusty for their entries and making it close. See you all on Saturday for a new contest!

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results