Marketing Advice

Jan 20, 2019
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get my name out there as a close-up magician and start booking gigs.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Another important aspect is that you need to be seen out in public performing even if its for free in the beginning.
Volunteer at Nursing Homes, Churches, Blue and Gold Banquets, etc. Once you have a few free gigs under your belt and you have been seen in your community (provided that you do a good job) word of mouth travels quickly. It can make or break you. Also have business cards ready to go. The website and such can come later.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, that is absolutely true. People get hired because people hire them. So if you're seen doing gigs, you'll be building up the idea that you are available for hire.

One thing you need to learn very quickly, though, is there's a big difference between working for "free" and working for "nothing."

You don't want your reputation to be that you work for nothing. You don't really want it to be that you work for free, either, but when you're starting out you're not going to get good fees (unless you're some business savant).

Try to get your name and information put on the advertising for events you work. Get a poster made, maybe. Definitely have business cards. If you're not a designer, though, keep your business card super simple. Better to have a classy one that just has your name, a title, and your number than some garish cartoony attempt to do the graphics yourself.

Also - and this is something I see constantly - make sure your email address isn't childish. It should be some form of your name, and ideally dedicated to the business stuff. Preferably you'll get your own site, but gmail is fine, too. But I can't tell you how many people try to say they're a professional entertainer and then say their email is something like LordSniperSnout@hotmail.com. Lose all credibility right there.

Note to self. Make new email address that isn't xX420rootytootypointandshooty69@gmail.com

DED! Thanks for this.

I agree on the email branding, but you should also have a basic website as well, even if it's only contact info to start. Saying "I don't have a website" to a potential customer in 2019 makes you seem out of date and not very professional. It's the way of the world these days, be where your customers are, and your customers are online!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Note to self. Make new email address that isn't xX420rootytootypointandshooty69@gmail.com

You joke, but I've literally gotten emails from folks claiming to be professional magicians with addresses like that.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to marketing advice - it's very regional as well. What works for me may not work at all in another area. A perfect example is in Arkansas, FB advertising and using FB event pages works really well when targeted properly. But out here in York, PA people don't plan their evenings from FB pages. They look for local listings in the paper and the flyers posted at the popular bars.

So it's also a good idea to talk to someone local and see what they're doing. If they are successful, this could be valuable advice on what to do. If they are not successful, it's valuable advice on what -not- to do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results