Magic presentations by age

Nov 3, 2018
Hello everybody,
I want to write some presentations based on books or movies that many in the audience might know from their childhood (so there's some degree of nostalgia), or which "everybody know" (no matter which generation they're from).
For me, examples would be The Lion King and Peter Pan, both of them movies I watched a lot growing up and to which I have a strong emotional attachment.

Thing is, I'm too out of touch with my generation (or any generation, really) to know which movies might fulfill this criterium for the different generations.
This is where I need your help: It would be great if you could tell me which movies or books you grew up with and are a source of nostalgia for you and others from your generation, so I can write presentations / develop tricks with these stories in mind, to touch the spectators in a special way.

Thank you all for your help!

PS: Can anybody also tell me if the xkcd comics Movie Ages and November 2016 are good sources?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Google is your friend.

"Most popular movies in the 90s" or "Most popular childrens book of 1995" - etc. Also include regions as that is often very important. My wife is a bit younger than me and from the other side of the country so I've made quite a few references she just doesn't get because it didn't exist in her life.

XKCD is almost always accurate to what he's stating in any given chart like that.

Nov 3, 2018
Thank you very much, Christopher, though now I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of google myself (you know that you've spent too much time on T11 when you turn there for information on movies).

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
David was like Tom Hanks in Castaway only doing cups and balls with the rocks and
I think he may have even invented Sands of the Desert back then too. :)

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You had fire already?

At first it was just the black and white version, but when I was seven, we were the first family in the caves to get the newfangled color version.

David was like Tom Hanks in Castaway only doing cups and balls with the rocks

That and the three-stone monte.

I think he may have even invented Sands of the Desert back then too. :)

That was only after my first version, mud of the forest, didn't work out too well.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hello everybody,
I want to write some presentations based on books or movies that many in the audience might know from their childhood (so there's some degree of nostalgia), or which "everybody know" (no matter which generation they're from).
For me, examples would be The Lion King and Peter Pan, both of them movies I watched a lot growing up and to which I have a strong emotional attachment.

Thing is, I'm too out of touch with my generation (or any generation, really) to know which movies might fulfill this criterium for the different generations.
This is where I need your help: It would be great if you could tell me which movies or books you grew up with and are a source of nostalgia for you and others from your generation, so I can write presentations / develop tricks with these stories in mind, to touch the spectators in a special way.

Thank you all for your help!

PS: Can anybody also tell me if the xkcd comics Movie Ages and November 2016 are good sources?
Movies are amazing, but if you want to appeal to the current Gen Z or something, I guess music culture is the way to go XD

But yeah, as for movies, speaking in general (since I'm sure you got great input from google and your sources) if you want to relate to people, just talk about torrents :D

Nov 3, 2018
Movies are amazing, but if you want to appeal to the current Gen Z or something, I guess music culture is the way to go XD

But yeah, as for movies, speaking in general (since I'm sure you got great input from google and your sources) if you want to relate to people, just talk about torrents :D
Music's a very good idea. I've been thinking about that as well, but in a different context.
Thanks for the input!

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results