where can i learn an effect where it looks like your stopping your heart

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Not entirely sure if this is what you wanted, but my favorite mentalist Morgan Strebbler has a method called D.O.A. It's currently on sale. You might want to do some research and look at some reviews before purchase because some Sansminds tricks can be some of the worst purchases you'll ever make.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
i know control by wayne houchin but im not sure if that one works convincingly on me
There are ways given in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic by Tom Ogden.

Regardless, if you really want to seemingly stop your heartbeat by stopping your pulse, here's some free advice:-

The pulse is just the expansion and elastic recoil of the wall of the radial artery in tune with the blood spurting (during ventricular systole) through it due to the contraction of the ventricle. If you want to stop your pulse, you cannot, of course, stop your ventricle from contacting, but you PREVENT the radial artery from it's momentary 'throb' due to the blood flowing in it, you'll be able to stop your pulse for several minutes on end.

PS:- I used to think that it had become a public domain method but seeing how nobody's sharing the exact method of doing it, I think it's NOT as public I thought... However, basic Biology should help you work out how to achieve what I said.

:)

(Think why your hand goes cold on wearing a tight wristband)

Reactions: 010rusty
Sep 20, 2009
This depends on "how" you want to do it there are the traditional methods, though a bit controversial now as far as "safety" goes

Jerome Finley has worked on it and also stopping the pulse of an audience

Wayne Houchin which is one of the better ones in a more impromptu situation

there are ways to lower your heart rate/pulse through breathing techniques

Sep 20, 2009
I have. As is often the case with his publications, it's decent but seems like something that was put together to make some money. Nothing ground breaking.

agreed, especially since they are just basically showing other peoples methods

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I mean, this effect is old as the hills. There hasn't been that much "innovation" in a couple hundred years.

I used to use an impromptu variation of the 'classic' method myself. Luke Jermay has some subtleties that are useful (Derren Brown uses his method in ... Evening of Wonder? I think. Just before glass walking) and I came up with a nice little subtlety that has served me well.

Sep 20, 2009
Morgan Strebler had D.O.A

but again nothing "original"

also

Max Maven has stated that the earliest publication of the description of the effect he had on hand is from a British book published prior to 1854 and regarding pulse stopping as part of a more elaborate demonstration of fakirism witnessed in Runjesting, India in 1838

I am sure it can be traced further back than that

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would be utterly unsurprised to find out it was used by Shamans since before we started writing down our history.

Reactions: Liderc
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results