Building a magic act

Nov 3, 2018
Character, Selecting Effects, Scripting, Presentation .... am I missing anything?
Practicing? I remember you writing in a thread about that somewhere, let me see if I have that bookmarked in another browser...
Nope, doesn't seem like it. But I remember that you shared some valuable approaches on how to go about practicing your set, insights that may bear repeating in your workshop.
Apart from that, how about "post-production"? Marketing, how to find an appropriate venue, get booked, get paid etc.

Are there any good books or resources on building magic acts?
Read this fantastic thread created by @WithDocIsIn. He details his process of creating a show from the very beginning and discusses different approaches with other knowledgable magicians on the forum. It's not a "how to" on building a magic act, but will give you invaluable insight into the mind of a professional performer of magic and mentalism.

Mar 3, 2018
Read this fantastic thread created by @WithDocIsIn. He details his process of creating a show from the very beginning and discusses different approaches with other knowledgable magicians on the forum. It's not a "how to" on building a magic act, but will give you invaluable insight into the mind of a professional performer of magic and mentalism.
Thanks for the thread!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Routining

I see routining as part of "Selecting Effects." I define a routine as a type of effect. For example, a cups and balls routine, a linking rings routine or an ambitious card routine. It is a single effect that has multiple phases using the same objects. To the extent you are integrating multiple effects that is an act. Also, what a lot of people talk about as "routining" is actually just transitioning between effects.

Last edited:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Maximum Entertainment 2.0
Scripting Magic 1&2

Two of the most accessible books on the market for creating material.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results