Magic trick names are weird

Sep 1, 2007
Let's face it: Sinful, Panic, Torn, Fallen, Into the Abyss, Stigmata, Kaos...

Magic companies clearly stole some Emo kid's diary to come up with all of these.

But in all seriousness, I cordially request that we get some more apt titles, or something.

Well, I believe I have logical explanataions for 3 of those.

Torn is obviously quite clear, you're tearing a card into 4 pieces. And after it's Torn you restore it. I think that's a fitting name.

Fallen is because it's suppose to look like the cards are falling under the selected card, not the selected card rising to the top.

Stigmata is actually a medical condition which involves a thought, or actual physical harm happening to one person and then being brought upon another person. So, an example would be, if you cut the palm of your hand and started to bleed, my palm would start to as well. Which is why when they think of a name and having the initials show up on your arm relates to Stigmata.

I may be wrong on my last explanation but, you are right. Some names make no sense at all...

-RA69

Well, I believe I have logical explanataions for 3 of those.

Torn is obviously quite clear, you're tearing a card into 4 pieces. And after it's Torn you restore it. I think that's a fitting name.

Fallen is because it's suppose to look like the cards are falling under the selected card, not the selected card rising to the top.

Stigmata is actually a medical condition which involves a thought, or actual physical harm happening to one person and then being brought upon another person. So, an example would be, if you cut the palm of your hand and started to bleed, my palm would start to as well. Which is why when they think of a name and having the initials show up on your arm relates to Stigmata.

I may be wrong on my last explanation but, you are right. Some names make no sense at all...

-RA69

I think the stigmata explanation is right....If not you're very close.

Aug 31, 2007
Actually, I've read somewhere that Stigmata is the experiencing of the same wounds that were inflicted upon Jesus Christ. For instance, if you would start bleeding in your palms, it would refer to the fact that Jesus was nailed to the cross on his palms (historically, it was his wrists, but it is traditionally perceived as his palms). Also, you could start getting cuts on your side, your feet, knees, or your forehead (crown of thorns).

Anyways, just wanted to bring that up.

And getting on topic here, why the hell is it called "Panic" ? :p

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
hmmm personally, I don't see any problem in those names :p

If the name is too mediocre, it will be hard to remember which trick is which...

Imagine that "Panic" is called "the vanishing deck trick" (which is more apt), but needless to mention that there are many vanishing deck tricks in the market...

An apter name for Kaos would be "card though window trick"...? But if we say Kaos, we know right away that it's Sean's effect.

anyway, I guess you get my point :)

This is just my opinion.

Actually, I've read somewhere that Stigmata is the experiencing of the same wounds that were inflicted upon Jesus Christ. For instance, if you would start bleeding in your palms, it would refer to the fact that Jesus was nailed to the cross on his palms (historically, it was his wrists, but it is traditionally perceived as his palms). Also, you could start getting cuts on your side, your feet, knees, or your forehead (crown of thorns).

Anyways, just wanted to bring that up.

And getting on topic here, why the hell is it called "Panic" ? :p

It also refers to that as well. That's the more specific definition of it, that's mainly what the wikipedia article of stigmata is about.

But, if you read the description of the movie "I know who killed me" on wikipedia it says this "It turns out that the two are stigmatic twins, with a strange mental connection that lets them share pain, communicate, and even share experiences, which explains some of Aubrey's stories."

-RA69

I don't see anything wrong with those names, but personally I think they fit pretty well. However, here's a few names of effects that I still cannot get my head around:

Kolossal Killer - Kenton Knepper
Sleughtsayers - Peter Duffie
Over Easy Scrambled - Joshua Jay
Mik Mak Mok - Jerry Sadowitz and Peter Duffie
Dirty Stinkin' Ape in the Middle - Tyler Wilson
Bushwacker - Paul Harris
Slap Me Again - Larry Jennings

I am at a loss as to how these were named, LOL.

Jordan

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
Wayne named his quarter through can "Sinful" because from what he said, he became so obsessed with the idea of and impromptu way of getting a signed quarter into a can, that it was almost "sinful."

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Haha emo kids diary that's a good one.

But anyways, if the names are too descriptive, like the double lift, they can give the method away, like the double lift. DOUBLE lift.

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
I don't see anything wrong with those names, but personally I think they fit pretty well. However, here's a few names of effects that I still cannot get my head around:

Kolossal Killer - Kenton Knepper
Sleughtsayers - Peter Duffie
Over Easy Scrambled - Joshua Jay
Mik Mak Mok - Jerry Sadowitz and Peter Duffie
Dirty Stinkin' Ape in the Middle - Tyler Wilson
Bushwacker - Paul Harris
Slap Me Again - Larry Jennings

I am at a loss as to how these were named, LOL.

Jordan
Kolossal Killer says it all, that effect is killer. But yeah as for most mainstream effects, the names are lame. They are used to target specific audiences.

Dec 2, 2007
Haha emo kids diary that's a good one.

But anyways, if the names are too descriptive, like the double lift, they can give the method away, like the double lift. DOUBLE lift.

So true, henceforth the 'double lift' will be referred to as 'Insurrection'

That should help dissolve some clarity.

Sep 1, 2007
I gotta say, I like most Paul Harris titles.

The Anything Deck
Nightshades
Interlaced Vanish

Yeah, I'm down with those.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yes, in the Catholic Religion, it refers to you "receiving" the injuries that Jesus Christ did during his Crucifixion. I actually watched the movie "Stigmata" this weekend. It was weird, but pretty good.

i believe the names of these effects have been getting common one word names for the simple fact of exposure. If you google any of those names, panic, fallen, control you only get a wikipedia page or something that doesn't have to do with magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results