The Session 2007

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Hey everyone i just recently got The Session 2007 here is the description

On the January 20th, 2007, serious sleight-of-hand artists from around the world gathered at "The Session." This DVD provides a grab bag of routines, sleights and moves from various magicians who attended the event. As you would expect, the material is mostly about the moves and there’s a strong tendency towards playing cards with lots of sandwich and transposition effects.
Sessioning

Some of the many contributors who provide and explain routines include: Allan Ackermann, Jon Armstrong, Jamie Badman, James Brown, Luke Dancy, Mike Davis, Dynamo, Andi Gladwin, Rob James, Oli Mealing, Robert Moreland and Tyler Wilson. There
are also excerpts of an interview with Wayne Houchin, the inventor of “Signed Quarter into the Soda Can,” where he discusses creativity, working with Criss Angel, developing effects and more.

The format is mostly here’s a trick or move and how to do it. Because there’s no question and answer format with a second magician, the explanations tend to be brief. However, anyone who is familiar with basic and advanced sleight of hand can follow along and learn some great material Quote

Wayne Does an interview whichis set between clips in the dvd he talks about
Being With Criss
Sinful
Performance Or Creating
Creating
Magic And The Internet

Wanye talks about all these its pretty interesting
Like he talks about the internet and youtube and people not doing a good performance so people think they know the trick but they dont so they might go out on the street and perform it wrong

There are many great performances and they teach you some of the things there are alot of usefull moves and techniques
i personally like
The Inverted Elevator it looks great when performed well

The Routines

Dynamo - The Rubbish Trick ( i didnt really like this trick after i saw it i figured it out easy )

Luke Dancy - Fire Writer ( This alot like daniel madisons i think its blaze effect in two but its a pretty good effect )

Wanye Houchins Interview ( These are all very interesting so these are cool )

Mike Davis - Triple Sandwich ( This is a really amazing 3 stage sandwich routine one of my favourites in the dvd )

Ollie Mealing - The Mealingerang ( This is bassically a boomerang flourish around the back prety cool though )

Myles Nakouzi - Queens Variation ( This is a very cool trick instead of one at a time the first two go at once oh its to long to explain but it is really good )

Wayne Interview

Ollie Meaking - The Switch Trick ( This is an easy simple effect to achive but its a very cool one. )

Mark Oberon - Some Numer Trick ( This Trick isnt taught on the dvd but its a verry good mentalism effect)

John Armstrong - Versatile Sandwich Move ( Well As the title says its not a trick its a move for sandwich effect transpo its a very good move and can be used for a lot of diferent handlings)

Wayne Interview

Rob James - Moving Pip ( When i saw this is was like what!! what happend there then bassicaly what it looks like is a seven of hearts and you move the middle pip with one shake then you rup your hand and it moves back it looks really good when peformed well)

Robert Moreland - The Inverted Elevator ( This is bassically my favourite trick on the dvd its the bassic elevator routine jazzed up with a really good change at the end it looks crazy)

Interview With The Makers of The Session ( This interview is pretty funny they get handed a deck of cards and asked to do some things)

Jon Kerry - Slo- Mo Collectors ( This a really good collector trick one easy favourite to perform)

James Brown - ( bassicaly this is a 5 minute section of him pickpoketing this guy he is very good at it and the guy at the end doesnt know what hit him)

Wayne Interview

Andi Gladwin - Roadtrip ( this is and easy ace production it looks ok and easy to achieve)

Ollie Mealing - The Mealing Pealing ( Basscially o really easy but cool method of bringing a card to the top)

Jamie Badman - The Flexible Shift ( this is a really good shift can be used on almost any occasion really well done)

Noel Quatler - C & R I Pod Cable ( This is a really good cut and restored that Noel Performs on Ollie i Think ollir Sh** himself there for a second)

Wayne Interview

Rob James - 6am Production ( another aces production but a pretty good one)

Wayne Interview

Allan Ackerman - Twisting Maxi Twist ( This based on the old twist efect one at a time a card turns down but he places a jack down on the table then he does the twist a one ace is left 3 jack are in this hand and the selected card is on the table)

Wayne Interview

Rob James - Sub Trunk Cards ( this is a cool sandwich effect where the selected cardsis traped between two red aces.)
Credits

Woh thats a lot more then i thought there was i did the routines for Guardian452

if you think you are interested in this dvd buy it here

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9042

I would give this a 10/10

i suggest you get this its really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
yeah - spoon feed him - that is what makes magic valuable. You do the research and everyone else can grow from your effort. Why not? It is the foundation of modern magic.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
i want to know how paractical the effects are.
is that so wrong that i want to know if i will use the effects before i buy them?
i am doing research, he owns it and can feed us the information.

would you buy something blindly?
id rather make the smarter decision and know what im buying.

all im asking is that he reviews the effects, is that a crime mr. magic lord?

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
"you do the research and everyone can grow from yorue effort"

isnt that how the world is? why have scientists then? "we need an alternate fuel source." OH, YOU WANT US TO RESEARCH IT BECAUSE WEVE TAKEN CLASS AND DEVOTED OUR LVIES TO THIS? PSH, WHY?

the world is based on that concept.
without it we wouldnt have international knowledge sharing and know things about the atmosphere and even space.
all the nations knew stuff about space, we decided to put all of that knowledge together and now we are a smarter world.

thats how magic should be, magicians WORKING TOGETHER, not "better" magicians demanding younger magicians to be better. they should be nice, caring, hell, even compassionate because they share the same art as them.

you sir, are not a magician

Aug 31, 2007
First you get the rights to use any scientific information (buy, ask or just do it already if it's "ffa"), then you build on it (or do the actual research you're talking about).

To get the rights to build on these routines you have to buy them since they're not free.

Anyway... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CX24tUZS9M :)

Worth the money in my opinion.

May 6, 2008
Egypt
Most of the tricks are impromptu and they teach new some new moves that are great and can be applied in other tricks, overall great DVD!

Sep 8, 2008
I really like this DVD... I've found it very like Mystique, not in magic but in the way I can just flick it on and it's nice to watch throough and just watch performances!
It's got a very informal vibe about it but I think it's cool like that!

Guardian452... Routine wise, I'd say that the practicality depends very much on your style, but a lot didn't suite my stlye personally... I love Ollie Mealings two tricks though... I'll try summarise briefly:

Dynamo - The Rubbish Trick Can perform anywhere (as long as you have a cap and a certain gimmick) but stand-up, close-up anything really.

Luke Dancy - Fire Writer A close-up effect really, as mini magi said very similar to a few madison effects. Can perform in most circumstances though a little set-up required.

Wanye Houchins Interview Not an effect, but really intresting to listen to!

Mike Davis - Triple Sandwich Close-up again, could be done walk around or street magic again any style of card magic it'd suit.

Ollie Mealing - The Mealingerang Just as Mini Magi said, a cool lil' flourish.

Myles Nakouzi - Queens Variation Umm stand-up close up magic, similar to the Bucks Queens trick - I love Myle's stuff but I was a little disapointed with this, maybe I got my hopes a little high when notciing he was on the DVD, but it's was a bit poorly filmed! The trick wasn't particualy me either! Never the less, each to their own!

Ollie Meaking - The Switch Trick The only trick I think I've took from the DVD. Suits any style card magic, could be doen close, walk around street etc.

John Armstrong - Versatile Sandwich Move Another trick that can be done most places and any style of card magic.

Rob James - Moving Pip Best close-up but then incorparatedinto any street walk around etc.

Robert Moreland - The Inverted Elevator Best performed at a sitted gathering at a close-u performance, a rountined trick which my persnal style tells me it lean back to a formal setting where everyones wanting to b engaged in magic.

Andi Gladwin - Roadtrip Anywhere once set-up!

Ollie Mealing - The Mealing Pealing A sleight that can be incorporated anywhere into your magic rountine.

Jamie Badman - The Flexible Shift Anytime, anywhere!

Noel Quatler - C & R I Pod Cable Best done walking round, I'd say very well suited to street magic cause it'd fit the enviroment well. But flexible.

Thats where most rountines would be suited too. I find that most are rountines, with stories and not fast hitting effects whcih I'm not a huge fan off and find are more suited too table magic in a formal setting, but near enough all with changes to the rountines and handling could be done anywhere.
Hope that helps a bit. - I did miss a few tricks of that explanation cause I cant rememeber them, so sorry for that but thats the majority.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results