David Blaine performing across the US

Oct 7, 2007
Missouri
Interesting read on what David Blaine is up to...

Article 1:
Blaine adds Knoxville to ABC special

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Magician David Blaine's visit to Knoxville recently will be part of an upcoming ABC special to air Sept. 24.

"Instead of just staying in New York and doing street magic, he was traveling across the country," an ABC source told the Tele-Buddy Wednesday.

Blaine went barebones. He didn't take money with him on his journey. And despite other reports to the contrary, Blaine did travel with a small entourage.

The source says Blaine went with a minimum film crew. His cameraperson tried to stay hidden so the action would not be focused on the TV production itself, an ABC source says.

Blaine was spotted in Market Square on June 26, performing small feats of magic. He also went into the Preservation Pub to perform for customers.

Another source says Blaine picked Knoxville because of its central location. Blaine has performed several shows in Knoxville before.

He was traveling from New York City to the Grand Canyon for the special.

When Blaine visited Knoxville, he was relying on the kindness of strangers for tips. He also did not have formal overnight arrangements. The ABC source says he sometimes slept outside or in the homes of locals in the area he was visiting.

"He was doing magic for people as a way to earn money to get from city to city," the source says. "He was not traveling in planes or cars. He was literally doing magic across the country to get to where he needed to go."

In September, Blaine will attempt his centerpiece feat for the special. He plans to break the world record for sleep deprivation. The record, ABC says, is 11 days, and Blaine plans to go beyond that.

The yet-untitled Blaine special will air at 9 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2008 on ABC.

Article 2:
Insider: David Blaine whips up tricks on Market Square

Turns out that your eyes can play tricks on you these days on Market Square. On June 26 magician David Blaine surprised many by showing up there and doing an impromptu show for passersby.

Eyewitnesses say the edgy illusionist performed small feats - free of charge - for folks walking around Market Square. He ducked into World Grotto and the Preservation Pub, where he continued to dazzle.

"He enjoyed himself," one Pub source told the Insider. "He went down the bar doing card tricks for everybody.

"It was definitely weird. He ordered a drink like he was doing a magic trick." (By the way, Blaine ordered Grey Goose.)

However, his drink order didn't include pulling a drink out of his hat. He merely had a flashy presence whenever he ordered.

The source says Blaine didn't have television cameras with him, but he was accompanied by "a small entourage of magicians." His band of merry men was also performing tricks.

The source estimates about 50 customers were in the bar for the small show.

And, as you might expect, the gawking crowd had out their cell phone cameras to capture the action.

Blaine is no stranger to Knoxville. He has performed here several times in recent years. No word on what exactly brought him here this time.

He's known for his headline-grabbing stunts around the world. In 2002, for instance, he balanced on a circular platform - 22 inches in diameter and atop a freestanding 100-foot pillar - for 35 hours.

- knoxvillenews.com

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I find the whole living off the kindness of others a bit weird for someone who is as well off as he must be.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for him to use their contributions to raise money or something?

You could say he is just busking and making money at it, but he is filming it for a tv special, which means he is already getting paid for his work, or will be with the final product.

I kinda feels like milking people for cash this way.

I mean it's one thing to try to make it with little to no money, by depending on others for support, ike backpacking across Europe, but to do it when you are very well off is just odd.

Oct 7, 2007
Missouri
I find the whole living off the kindness of others a bit weird for someone who is as well off as he must be.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for him to use their contributions to raise money or something?

You could say he is just busking and making money at it, but he is filming it for a tv special, which means he is already getting paid for his work, or will be with the final product.

I mean it's one thing to try to make it with little to no money, by depending on others for support, ike backpacking across Europe, but to do it when you are very well off is just odd.

I have to disagree. He is providing a great experience for the public at no charge at all. Considering the fact that Blaine is most likely a multi-millionaire he obviously is not "living off the kindness of others" because he cannot afford to support himself.

Imagine that David Blaine shows up in your neighborhood and performs a bunch of tricks and illusions for you and your friends. In return he ask for a place to sleep and maybe a meal -- are you telling me you would think he was greedy? I personally think it is a really cool idea.

Besides, in the recent past Blaine has shown himself to be a charitable guy. I seriously doubt he suddenly got so greedy that he decided to milk money away from poor town folk, y'know? To me the idea behind living off of the kindness of others is the experience that it provides for the public, the TV viewing audience, and also for Blaine and his crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
i think its a great idea

hes showing other fellow magicians a way to make something out of your magic...such as food or money

plus its a neat idea, starting with nothing except some cards, and still being able to get where you want because you make such a strong connection to others through your work

Have you read his book? He was sleeping on his friend's couch when he filmed his first special. He doesn't have enough money to support himself, a family, or anywhere to go.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Have you read his book? He was sleeping on his friend's couch when he filmed his first special. He doesn't have enough money to support himself, a family, or anywhere to go.
Guys,

Obviously, making a few extra bucks in tips isn't the point of DB's challenge. Blaine is very well off (after multiple international television specials, a best-selling book, etc.). This adventure is solely for the thrill and for the challenge.

On a side note, I noticed this parallels certain aspects of Jesus' life (minus any messianic declarations), in a way. DB traveling from town to town, staying with locals, and performing miracles with his disciples... er... "magicians." If memory serves me correctly, I recall DB once being asked in an interview whom he would like to have lunch with, dead or alive - and Jesus was on the list - though I assume not for any religious reasoning.

Please keep this on topic. Just making an observation.

Apr 28, 2008

How is it milking people for cash? The amount of money he'll be getting is negligible. The money is just so he can get to the next place, he's not making any profit from it. There doesn't seem to be any selfishness in it at all.

He probably thinks doing this will help him connect with people in a way that he wouldn't be able to if he stayed in a 5 star hotel, went outside to do some magic for a bit then got a private jet to the next city.

It seems like you've completely missed the point of what he's doing.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I have to disagree. He is providing a great experience for the public at no charge at all. Considering the fact that Blaine is most likely a multi-millionaire he obviously is not "living off the kindness of others" because he cannot afford to support himself.

Imagine that David Blaine shows up in your neighborhood and performs a bunch of tricks and illusions for you and your friends. In return he ask for a place to sleep and maybe a meal -- are you telling me you would think he was greedy? I personally think it is a really cool idea.

Besides, in the recent past Blaine has shown himself to be a charitable guy. I seriously doubt he suddenly got so greedy that he decided to milk money away from poor town folk, y'know? To me the idea behind living off of the kindness of others is the experience that it provides for the public, the TV viewing audience, and also for Blaine and his crew.

I never said greedy.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
i think its a great idea

hes showing other fellow magicians a way to make something out of your magic...such as food or money

plus its a neat idea, starting with nothing except some cards, and still being able to get where you want because you make such a strong connection to others through your work

LOL, yes, because no one has EVER thought about using magic to make a living.

Apr 28, 2008
LOL, yes, because no one has EVER thought about using magic to make a living.

Several people post a serious reply to your post and all you can do is make an idiotic sarastic remark about one line from the post. Did you even read the rest of it?

This is obviously the most important part of the post which you chose to ignore.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Looks like we've got a few shallow minds here.

Yes, it's an amazing idea... Something I've actually always wanted to do. I find it sad that there are some people here who can't appreciate it. You have to have a decent amount of respect for somebody who is willing to confront the familiar and do something that will make you think a bit.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Yes, it's an amazing idea... Something I've actually always wanted to do. I find it sad that there are some people here who can't appreciate it. You have to have a decent amount of respect for somebody who is willing to confront the familiar and do something that will make you think a bit.
Very well said Cory. I think what he's doing is phenomenal. It's a humbling thing to take yourself back to your roots in magic (performing in restaurants, lounges, and so forth), after reaching international fame. In fact, I think it's exactly in Blaine's character to do so.

webtech

Banned
Jun 14, 2008

Glenn you are absolutely right. It is odd. I think if he was going to raise money from people he should do it in a way that is charitable! Then again David is a little odd.

I like the line from Chris Rock..... "What kind of society are we these days where we even fall for a trickless magician!":D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results