Uses for the Second Deal

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about buying the new 1on1, but I'm really not familier with any gambling moves at all, so would anybody list some things I could do with a second deal? All I've heard is Card at any Number. Thanks a ton,
Creep

Oct 13, 2008
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about buying the new 1on1, but I'm really not familier with any gambling moves at all, so would anybody list some things I could do with a second deal? All I've heard is Card at any Number. Thanks a ton,
Creep

If you really perfect your Strike Second, then Card at any Number would be worth the ten bucks by itself. When using CaaN, be sure to build up to it, and make it the real magic that the SPECTATOR was able to tell you where their card was, not that YOU could make their card appear at the number they gave you.

As for other uses, you can incorporate them into routines, use it as a force, and I'm positive that you'll find new applications for it as you go. This is a move worth perfecting!

Sun|Sky

Sep 9, 2007
I think the bottom dealing would be better for a card at any number. You just need to do one move, not dozen of seconds.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think the bottom dealing would be better for a card at any number. You just need to do one move, not dozen of seconds.

But, with a bottom deal, the move comes at exactly the moment that the spectator is burning the deck. How much more impressive would it be to allow the spectator to turn the card over themselves, which they could with a second deal. A good second deal can be performed almost in slow motion, with the spectator burning your hands, and they won't see a thing, whereas a bottom deal is always perceptible if you have a clued up audience who are really paying attention.

One use for the second deal is as a fake estimation centre deal. I use a tilt to get a selected card second from the top, dribble and square the deck to show there's no break or jog, then deal a second, apparently from a random position in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good second deal can be performed almost in slow motion, with the spectator burning your hands, and they won't see a thing.
Lets be honest here, how many card guys can pull off a slow second from a white bordered deck, and if they do, doing it without some awkward movements?

I don't like doing the stop trick with seconds ( fast for me + necktie ) because there are much fair-looking solutions, I do the whole thing one handed with no seconds which for me, looks better, since the whole point is to deal slowly acting as fair as possible.

Seconds can be used for tons of gambling demos, Peter Duffie has some effects that uses it dispersed in his ebooks ( I recall a cannibals routine ), Paul Harris has something I think. The deal has its magical uses as a very good switch. Simon Lovell has a version of Alex Elmsely's (spelling) Diamond Cut Diamond that uses 12 seconds.

Cheers,

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I think it could be a perfect substitute for the Top change, for, say, the Two Card Monte effect.

GW

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You could build so many routines from this - if you look at Jack Parker's effects, I often think to myself "How the heck did he think of using these effects in this order to create this effect?" I suspect the same will be true of the SSD.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Lets be honest here, how many card guys can pull off a slow second from a white bordered deck, and if they do, doing it without some awkward movements?

I don't like doing the stop trick with seconds ( fast for me + necktie ) because there are much fair-looking solutions, I do the whole thing one handed with no seconds which for me, looks better, since the whole point is to deal slowly acting as fair as possible.

I think you'd be surprised how slowly you can do a strike second, with just a slight necktie, and not be called on it. It has to be in the right context, though, and I think CAAN is exactly that. A layman is not expecting a move so they aren't looking for one. They are just waiting for you to get to the number they selected. The one card they're interested in is the one that's going to come out on that number, and before that, it's just preamble.

I think you'd be surprised how slowly you can do a strike second, with just a slight necktie, and not be called on it. It has to be in the right context, though, and I think CAAN is exactly that. A layman is not expecting a move so they aren't looking for one. They are just waiting for you to get to the number they selected. The one card they're interested in is the one that's going to come out on that number, and before that, it's just preamble.
It might be the case with a CAAN, since the number is called for before the dealing begins. In the Stop trick ( they stop you anywhere, you deal the stopped-at-card aside ), I don't think its suitable. There are also versions of CAAN where the deck is tabled and you deal the cards, or versions where they deal the cards themselves.

I'd go for these, though 2nds might be a practical method too, I still think its too risky especially working with a bordered deck, anyways, if you have good experience with it, good for you.

Cheers,

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
As Medifro suggested, Diamond Cut Diamond is a fantastic trick, and well worth looking into, I am only aware of Alex Elmsleys version however which uses a side steal. Alex Elmsley has another fantastic trick, and in fact I would even suggest that it would be the perfect trick to practice second deals with. It's called What A Party, and can be found in Vol 2 of his Collected Works. It's a really fantastic trick. There's the obvious card at any number trick as well.

Also Darwin Ortiz has some fantastic tricks in his book, At The Card Table (I think) using second dealing. It's all just practice. I would say you should practice the second deal until you can do CAAN pretty well and then look into doing tricks with broken up second deals. If you can, I would reccomend trying to find that What A Party trick. It's an amazing trick to practice seconds with, plus an astounding effect as well.

Any questions, just give me a PM.

Best of luck

As Medifro suggested, Diamond Cut Diamond is a fantastic trick, and well worth looking into, I am only aware of Alex Elmsleys version however which uses a side steal. Alex Elmsley has another fantastic trick, and in fact I would even suggest that it would be the perfect trick to practice second deals with. It's called What A Party, and can be found in Vol 2 of his Collected Works. It's a really fantastic trick. There's the obvious card at any number trick as well.

Also Darwin Ortiz has some fantastic tricks in his book, At The Card Table (I think) using second dealing. It's all just practice. I would say you should practice the second deal until you can do CAAN pretty well and then look into doing tricks with broken up second deals. If you can, I would reccomend trying to find that What A Party trick. It's an amazing trick to practice seconds with, plus an astounding effect as well.

Any questions, just give me a PM.

Best of luck
If you're a Diamond Cut Diamond fan ( ;) ), be sure to check David Solomon's treatment of the effect ( Solomon's Mind ) as well as Marlo's treatment in his New Tops ( M.I.N.T vol.2 ). Simon Lovell's version is done as a center dealing demonstration.

Thanks for the Alex Elmsley trick, I'll check it out. Speaking of Darwin Ortiz, he has some excellent ( though not alot ) uses in his Scams and Fantasies too.

Cheers,

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results