Trilogy

The following is another of my super in depth reviews about the D&D Trilogy. I'm just going to write as I see the various parts, as I have yet to watch all of it. I shall bump this thread and delete this notice when I am finished.

Enjoy.

DISC ONE:TRICKS

Card across-

Poor effect. You know that old J/E loading move where you stick the card in your mouth while they push in the card? This is just a flashy version of that. (With several large differences.) Personally, if I had to chose this or the original, I would go with the original. The first problem is that when you show the spectator the card they picked you have to place the card in an out jogged position, show it, slide the card onto the top of the deck, then slide it right back off to where it was before! This is very un-clean looking as there is no offered reason as to why you would move the card to one place, then move it right back to where it was.

Story time!

I was watching a magic performance once and a man claimed that he was going to make the spoon he was holding bend it self double. There was a flash of light and a loud bang on the other side of the stage; Naturally everybody looked over that way. When they look back the spoon is bent in half. The magician smiles sweetly.

End story.

The whole spoon trick was done in a very "tong in cheek" fashion, that is, it was more a little joke than a real trick. The same is true for this. The magician does that weird looking move, then he does a bunch of one handed flourishes with the deck. (Out jogged card in view the whole time.) Then he pushes it flush. When the specs look over at the other hand there the card is. This is a tong in cheek mini trick that isn't all that powerful.

Hand to mouth-

This is very similar to Card Across: poor. Imagine Card Across only with the card going to your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I was watching a magic performance once and a man claimed that he was going to make the spoon he was holding bend it self double. There was a flash of light and a loud bang on the other side of the stage; Naturally everybody looked over that way. When they look back the spoon is bent in half. The magician smiles sweetly.

End story

The Great Jonathan.

at least he has a similr trick , whereas he changes a card when the audience looks away. Hilarity.

Gustav

Jul 13, 2008
I don't agree with you at all so far. . . . Card to Mouth is one of the most powerful tricks I do. I get incredible reactions for such a simple trick. It's awesome! Anyway, you should try performing the tricks before reviewing them. See what kind of reactions you get, and then come back.

Jul 13, 2008
I'm just saying, don't say a trick is poor when you haven't performed it yet. Trust me, those tricks kill.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Sure sure....

Get of your high Judgmental horse and join the real world buddy.

That's my favorite qoute from you Michael :p

Anyways, Hand to Mouth has already been said to be one if not the highest auditory reaction effect on the trilogy.

Why would you write a review if you don't know enough of the effect? If you haven't practised or performed it yet?

What good is a review made by a cynical dogmatic person, whom has an assertive and uninformative opinion?

Im not insulting you, because I do enjoy some of your posts, but this is ridiculous.

Gustav

Get of your high Judgmental horse and join the real world buddy.

That's my favorite qoute from you Michael :p

I noticed. :D

Why would you write a review if you don't know enough of the effect? If you haven't practised or performed it yet?

Gustav

Because I don't plan on performing this effect! I don't know if I've said this before on this forum, but this is my philosophy on selecting tricks:

"There are so many truly great effects out there that I don't ever have to perform a trick that I don't LOVE. Unless my jaw drops when I see the trick, unless the method is sound, unless it fits in my repertoire, unless it kills spectators, unless it's super clean, I'm not gonna use it! Period."

-Myself

Those two tricks just don't do that for me. And if you think I'm gonna put X hours it takes me to learn that trick in just so I can write a review on that trick, you've got another thing coming! I've have better things to do!!

Jul 13, 2008
So you're saying that if YOUR jaw doesn't drop, theirs won't either?? Wow. You know, spectators don't think like magicians. Maybe you should consider that.

Jul 30, 2008

"There are so many truly great effects out there that I don't ever have to perform a trick that I don't LOVE. Unless my jaw drops when I see the trick, unless the method is sound, unless it fits in my repertoire, unless it kills spectators, unless it's super clean, I'm not gonna use it! Period."

Awesome. So what are the tricks that you use?

May 3, 2008
Because I don't plan on performing this effect! I don't know if I've said this before on this forum, but this is my philosophy on selecting tricks:

Why does your jaw have to drop? Does that mean that you want some crazy cool method or you want it to fool you? If it is then you should reevaluate what you do. How would you know that it doesn't kill your spectators when you haven't performed it yet? I saw the trick and thought "there's no way that can work." I tried it and have seen other people use it and the spectators gasp. It's a clean approach to the card to mouth. It might not play well for larger audiences, you might need a bit of misdirection but more often then not this you will get away with doing something so ballsy. Someone already told you that you should try it out and that it's a solid effect and you completely dismissed them. If it doesn't fit your style then it's a completely different story, but if you say that it's a meteocre effect, then I have nothing to say to that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results