Best place to start with spongeballs?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Hey guys, i've recently been looking into sponge balls. In the past i thought they were stupid but now i've watched a few performance videos with sponge alls and found them to be really kool. Mostly cuz a lot of the magic happen in the spectator's hands.

So i wanted to get started on it. But i really dont know where to go. i've looked around for a few beginner dvds but i can't really decide which one. And since i'm not a sponge balls expert, i wouldn't know which one i would benefit from more.

So for those of you who are good at sponge balls, what do you think is the best place to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Hey Magicshadow, I started using spongeballs a year ago, when I met a fellow skilled magician in my magic store who spoke english (yay for me:D) anywho, he proceeded to show me some quick vanishes and moves - as well as giving me some advice on the type of spongeballs to buy.

The dvd he told me was the best was Jay Noblezada's SPONGE. You can buy both a download or the actual dvd, which comes with 4 red spongeballs, medium 2 inch sized. It teaches you everything from easy to learn vanishes and productions, to more advanced routines - twists and Jay's variations ;)

Very easy to learn from, as well as enjoyable because of Jay's upbeat atittude.

I'll actually write up a review for it.

Coming back on topic, if you're also wondering which type of spongeballs to buy, go with the biggest possible size that fits comfortably in palm position (usualy Medium/2 inches), and try to choose a bright colour, such as red or orange - because they will create a more impossible effect on your spectator, as well as aiding you with those tricky view "retention" vanishes ;)

Gustav

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Hey Magicshadow, I started using spongeballs a year ago, when I met a fellow skilled magician in my magic store who spoke english (yay for me:D) anywho, he proceeded to show me some quick vanishes and moves - as well as giving me some advice on the type of spongeballs to buy.

The dvd he told me was the best was Jay Noblezada's SPONGE. You can buy both a download or the actual dvd, which comes with 4 red spongeballs. It teaches you everything from easy to learn vanishes and productions, to more advanced routines - twists and Jay's variations ;)

Very easy to learn from, as well as enjoyable because of Jay's upbeat atittude.

I'll actually write up a review for it.

Coming back on topic, if you're also wondering which type of spongeballs to buy, go with the biggest possible size (usualy LARGE), and try to choose a bright colour, such as red or orange - because they will create a more impossible effect on your spectator, as well as aiding you with those tricky view "retention" vanishes ;)

Gustav

Does Jay's dvd come with 4 red spongeballs? And what do you mean by Large? Is it like 2 inches or something?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Does Jay's dvd come with 4 red spongeballs? And what do you mean by Large? Is it like 2 inches or something?

Why hello again;

Jay's dvd, the one I got you the link for, comes with 4 Medium sized spongeballs ;)

Im sorry - temporary lapse of brain activity - I meant the size you should start with is 2 inches.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Here's to hoping that it helped;

Gustav

D

Deleted member 2755

I will have to get this. Spongeballs have interested me for a long time. I almost completely forgot about this DVD. Thanks for putting this up.

-Doug

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Oh and one question. I know that "Cards take weeks and months and coins take months and years." How long do sponge balls take? Like how long did it take you to be good at the sleights?

Oct 8, 2008
California
i would say spongeballs take hours to days before you can perform with them..this is say the routine that comes with the dvd..i do like it, but def want to expand my spongeball routines

EDIT:

I love orange, red and green sponges

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
i would say spongeballs take hours to days before you can perform with them..this is say the routine that comes with the dvd..i do like it, but def want to expand my spongeball routines

EDIT:

I love orange, red and green sponges

It's my opinion that you should practice a new effect at least a week before performing it, just to be sure that it's good and ready. I usually practice it for much more than a week, but if you think you're ready after a week, I say go for it.

Jan 12, 2009
If you ever want to start a new genre of magic, many pros say this, and I myself agree, that if you aren't willing to pick up a book and read about, you won't get far. And besides, most books have way more content that you can get in any DVD for a cheaper price. So try looking for some books first, learn from the classics, then move on to DVD if you want.

Oct 8, 2008
California
i think when starting out it is nice to have a dvd becuase you can visually see what is going on..

later though i believe books are better for the reason you state

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results