Triple Jump - my first original (possibly) routine...

I came up with this the other night whilst in the bath, just wanted to see what you all thought of it (be nice!!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKaylsqfPQ

I know it probably isn't that original as there is nothing groundbreaking in it, but I was quite proud of myself for coming up with the sequence as i've never really come up with anything (decent) of my own before. If anyone out there knows of anything similar then let me know, but at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned I made this up!

PS: Don't say anything about the patter, I know it's rubbish. Why I decided I was performing to a no-armed women called Mildred I have no idea...

Cheers

Rev

Thanks guys! The positive comments are much appreciated.

Oh, and chriswiehl, you are right. Every time I practiced this effect i kept that packet isolated, have no idea why i decided to put it back on the deck when I recorded it!

As far as letting the spectator spread the deck at the end. I actually showed this to some people before posting it, and what i normally do is hand them the deck after I remove the odd cards. That way they are holding the deck the whole time, makes the whole thing more impossible!

Glad you all like it though. After reviewing it I realise the plot is similar to the classic 'Biddle trick', just that the vanish is slightly more visual. Not an improvement really, as it's not impromptu, but another way of doing it at least!

Thanks Guys

Rev

Sep 1, 2007
That was actually quite clever. Very magical. I enjoyed it, thanks :) .

Work on your sleights though. The Elmsley needs work.

Jul 8, 2008
It was OK, nothing groundbreaking like you said and not exactly original. I liked the structure though. One word of advice, the riffle force is a very weak force to use. The problem with it is the spectator gets confused by it more than we think. You riffle down the deck with your thumb in a very tight position, they can't really see where the stop at and for all they know, that isn't even where they say stop. I suggest using a dribble force or even take the little amount of time to learn the classic force. More natural. Don't perform things the day after you create them. Try it out in rehearsal time and then perform it. Also, in the end, the card didn't disappear. It changed. You took 3 random cards out of the deck, put their's into the packet, and then you ended up with 4 indifferent cards. What disappeared? Your elmsly can use some work too. Not entirely bad for a start

That was actually quite clever. Very magical. I enjoyed it, thanks :) .

Work on your sleights though. The Elmsley needs work.

You're right there! I've been doing magic 15 years and yet I still can't seem to do a perfect elmsley count! It seems to work on laymen, as I've never had anyone question it, but it could definitely be better! I always seem to have trouble pulling off the first single card. I've been learning Chris Kenner's 'Twister' from 'Totally Out of Control', which has a lot of Elmsley counts in it, so I'm hoping it will improve them!

Cheers

Rev

It was OK, nothing groundbreaking like you said and not exactly original. I liked the structure though. One word of advice, the riffle force is a very weak force to use. The problem with it is the spectator gets confused by it more than we think. You riffle down the deck with your thumb in a very tight position, they can't really see where the stop at and for all they know, that isn't even where they say stop. I suggest using a dribble force or even take the little amount of time to learn the classic force. More natural. Don't perform things the day after you create them. Try it out in rehearsal time and then perform it. Also, in the end, the card didn't disappear. It changed. You took 3 random cards out of the deck, put their's into the packet, and then you ended up with 4 indifferent cards. What disappeared? Your elmsly can use some work too. Not entirely bad for a start

I'll take everything you said into account, but I've been doing this magic lark a long time. This was actually tried out on a bunch people before this film was made and it really seems to impress laymen It's not going to impress you magician folk as it's not technical, but all i can say is that it works in the real world and that's what I aim for.

I disagree with you down talking of the Riffle force. Granted not as good as the classic force, but you are guaranteed a hit and it's less noisy that say, a backslip force. Laymen won't see anything odd about it, because as far as they are concerned, there is no such thing as forcing a card. Plus a decent false shuffle at the beginning will eliminate the possibility that you know where any of the cards are any way ;)

Also, the fact that the card 'changed' rather than 'disappearing' is a daft thing to point out. The spectator knows that it reality it didn't do either! So it doesn't really matter what i say happened! The point is it's not where they thought it was, and that's where the magic lies.

Cheers

Rev

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Very charismatic voice too, mesmerizing ;)

You should, on top of all the other advice - work on (like Miika said) your elmsley - try not to hesitate when doing 'the take'. You stopped for just a little longer than you did on the other cards.

G

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results