August 2009 :: Where Are We Going?

May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Since the beginning, it's been the mantra of this site to work towards the advancement of the art of magic and cardistry. To that end, and thanks entirely to you guys, we've been active. We push hard, we try to innovate, we listen, and we always try to maintain a flurry of activity - from contests, to videos, to discussions such as this one.

But to achieve any goal, one must first have one. So that's the topic of this month's Cerca Trova - where are we going? What is your goal, your vision, your ideal image for the potential this artform? Where would you like to see this art positioned in the next decade? What must we all do as an industry to get it there? What are we as an industry doing right, and what are we doing wrong? What is the future of magic?

Looking forward to your responses.

Personally, I see that magic is very slowely (in some ways) going down due to so many tricks and effects so easily availiable and free on youtube and vimeo. My views are that magic needs to be kept more under 'lock and key' and be (not neccesarily hermits) but be able to respect our artform and keep our magic to ourselves and not reveal so much. I also believe that people are not learning to dedicate time to our art as I see so many magicians who buy and effect and are performing it after one or two days. Personally my goal is to advance my personal art and promote magic in a positive way because there are so many people who have a bad perception of magic. In the next ten years I think we must focus on advancing our art and being able to keep magic as what is always was....a secret!

Oct 16, 2009
washington
I see magic in general being taken to a diffrent level of creativity that goes far beyond the imagination. As technology grows, so does magic, new doors and oppurtunities shall be unearthed and magic in a way will be re-shaped and re-invisioned. While sticking to our roots and focusing on those fundamentals to create new astonishments. I believe that the internet has grown immensley along side magic, and I think its gonna be the mainstay for magic dealers. Yet I will still want local magic shops, clubs, conventions etc because it allows a 1 on 1 expirence and to handle props and shake hands with the greats.

i plead the fifth

Jan 30, 2011
USA
August 2009 Where Are We Going

just like the others really - where are you off to, anywhere nice?

holiday, dirty weekend, business trip? a different city, the countryside, at home or abroad etc etc?

Apr 27, 2011
Before Two years ago I am going to Canada. I live one month in Calgary. This tour is from my company. I am a HR manager. This tour is Strange for me.

May 12, 2011
------------------------------------------------Great Topic----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 31, 2010
I think people are going to start getting sick of card magic and flourishing, (although it will still be performed alot) i think we are headed more into the mentalism area as far as new creations go...

Menatlism is great, but I don't think people in general are sick of card tricks. The cards are just the props. The props shouldn't make a trick seem boring. I think people are getting sick of card tricks that look the same, and start with the old, "pick a card" line. I think card magic has a bright future, if we as magicians use the cards to do things that haven't been done before and are unique.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results