Other Jobs of Magicians

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hey!
I was watching a video of Guy Hollingworth and in the discription, it said that he was also a lawyer. That kind of surprised me.
Are there other magicians out there with other jobs?

Dec 19, 2009
Most magicians have a day job. There's an old joke that goes:

How do you get a magician off your porch?

You pay him for the pizza.

Magic's hard to turn into a full time, sustainable career in most areas, so it's one of those things that people do along with a day job.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I know that most magicians have a day job,
but I was just curious bout the "famous" ones as its quite interesting to see what they normally do.
Magic is creative while law is... not creative.. haha

Magic is creative while law is... not creative.. haha

May be that's why he does it. I work as an accountant, which is very procedural and not creative at all. Therefore magic is an outlet for that creativity.

I have found that a lot of people who work in/study science do magic (I myself have Biology degree) cause it's almost the polar opposite (i.e. Science has rules, magic does not). It's different from what they normally do.

Rev

Oct 13, 2008
May be that's why he does it. I work as an accountant, which is very procedural and not creative at all. Therefore magic is an outlet for that creativity.

I have found that a lot of people who work in/study science do magic (I myself have Biology degree) cause it's almost the polar opposite (i.e. Science has rules, magic does not). It's different from what they normally do.

Rev

I say! But we science or statistics people do not just do magic because it is the, what was the term, polar opposite. Many of us also find comfort in this skill, helping us cope in a world spinning out of our control. Myself a case in point, but I'm sure you guys could find other examples among yourselves.

Sep 1, 2007
John Bannon is a lawyer - as far as I know he has never performed professionally.

I see the relation between the sciences and magic a little differently. The creative aspect of magic, the problem solving and method-tweaking feels very "scientific" in nature to me; I think it just appeals to that way of thinking.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I guess magic is a great hobby no matter what though. Have the worlds most boring job, be a magician, BORINGS GONE! probably also helps you with your day job clients as well...
"So i see you are considering to invest.... WHATS THIS BEHIND YOUR EAR? A BIG SHINY COIN? NO WAY"
"0.0 HIRED"

I see the relation between the sciences and magic a little differently. The creative aspect of magic, the problem solving and method-tweaking feels very "scientific" in nature to me; I think it just appeals to that way of thinking.

Hmmm, very good point, and your probably right. Makes more sense than what I suggested!!

At the end of the day though, I suppose were all drawn to it for different reasons. I know i enjoy it for the ingenuity of the whole thing. I'm also very drawn in by the history of it. Magic history is full of weird and wonderful characters who I find fascinating to read about.

Rev

Sep 14, 2009
How do you know when a magician gets successful?

They get a second job.

You have to realize that to most people, magic is a hobby, whether they perform professionally or not.. You should always go to college and have a backup career..

I am going to Hogwarts.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
John Ramsay was a shopkeeper. Slydini was more of a hobbyist if anything, he spent most of his career performing for magicians, not laypeople. Hence his awful presentation skills.

"you see the coin go? it's because you not watch! you not watch close enough!"

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Larry Jennings was a plumber, I think.

It's been said that the innovations in magic come from hobbyists, since professionals are too busy getting more work.

Dec 14, 2007
John Ramsay was a shopkeeper. Slydini was more of a hobbyist if anything, he spent most of his career performing for magicians, not laypeople. Hence his awful presentation skills.

"you see the coin go? it's because you not watch! you not watch close enough!"

This post has a number of errors, however I will correct only one:

Slydini's presentations worked very well for both him and his audiences (both layman and magicians.) One could perhaps even suggest his minimilst approach heralded the work of David Blaine. They could. I won't.

I have met laypeople who sat with Slydini in New York. None of them found his approach to magic - physically or verbally - to be lacking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results