What do we want to achieve?

Pip

Jul 1, 2010
Hi,

I'm pip and i am doing magic for 2 years. I just started with flourishing. Really dificult.

So what is Magic/flourishing for you. Where do we wanna go with this?

Please let me know.

Pip

Sep 1, 2007
Hey pip!

Where are you located? I noticed that you posted around 3am my time, so you're probably from outside the US. Just as a warning, the correct grammar is "what do we want to achieve?" instead of does. No sweat.

Anyway, I wish to give my spectators the present of wonder and astonishment. And maybe inadvertently give them hope that they don't have the world all figured out, and there is always some mystery and excitement in their lives that they should never lose.

Pip

Jul 1, 2010
Hey pip!

Where are you located? I noticed that you posted around 3am my time, so you're probably from outside the US. Just as a warning, the correct grammar is "what do we want to achieve?" instead of does. No sweat.

Anyway, I wish to give my spectators the present of wonder and astonishment. And maybe inadvertently give them hope that they don't have the world all figured out, and there is always some mystery and excitement in their lives that they should never lose.

I live in Belgium

Pip

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I mostly want to entertain people. I'd like them to walk away with a vague sense that maybe there's something more to the world, but I'm happy just giving them a break from their real life for a while.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
I want to create an experience for me and my spectators which they will never forget in their whole life. I want to make my magic comfortable for me to perform, to make it natural looking and I want my effects to be easy for spectators' to understand. If all those aspects are in action + you practice every effect you perform until you get it perfectly every time, you are very good magician. Everybody likes you.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I want to entertain people as well. Growing up I was always in awww with what magicians were performing. I know magic aint real and this will sound sappy but I want them to feel somthing great, wonderful and well magical. There is somthing that cant be described when you seen somthing that just blows you away and makes you forget the bad and just make you daydream.

Hopefully you guys understand what Im trying to say

May 10, 2010
As pretty much everyone has identified, magic is entertainment. Nothing beats watching a fellow classmate perform for the class after sitting through an hour's long lecture in class. It relieves stress and puts a smile on faces. I'll gladly refer to myself as that particular classmate. I want my audience to enjoy what I do, to have fun watching me do it, and to be amazed and at times startled, wondering how I just did it. I want them to feel what I feel, just like how I enjoy doing magic.

Jun 25, 2010
England
Well I think making people smile and laugh is going to be up there for most people so asides from entertaining, I want to be known for my coin magic (lol). Im not so great now but give me 10-15 years time! I know "being known" is kinda vague but I guess I will figure that much out later on :rolleyes: I currently live with my family of 4 coins and we spend every day together :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It's good to have a personal achievement in mind as well.

A lot of people have mentioned entertaining audiences and providing an experience of magic. I've recently been talking to a friend about this. What about being remembered as a goal? What do you think about this?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think if I do a really good job entertaining them, I'll be remembered. But honestly I don't worry that much about being remembered by everyone I meet. It's nice to be recognized, sure, but I don't need any external validation. I have a small circle of people that are important to me, and (barring alzheimers or senility) they will always remember me. That's more than enough for me.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Whenever I perform for people, I want to leave them with a feeling of amazement, I want them to believe that I can really do amazing things with my two hands and a deck of cards, and lastly, I want to leave them wanting more. And I do my best tricks less than I do my good tricks.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I think if I do a really good job entertaining them, I'll be remembered. But honestly I don't worry that much about being remembered by everyone I meet. It's nice to be recognized, sure, but I don't need any external validation. I have a small circle of people that are important to me, and (barring alzheimers or senility) they will always remember me. That's more than enough for me.

Not neccesarily - I remember reading a story about a magician who had a woman come up to him and describe in detail the full amazing experience of a magician who had performed the Invisible Deck for her. She laughed as she recalled the exact steps, she recalled where she was, who she was with, what her friend was wearing, all the details about the venue and the room - she remembered the card she thought of, and what the magician was wearing - but not the magician's name! She obviously had a great time - but in and of itself that experience didn't translate into remembering the guy's name. The magician was secondary to the magic.

Here's my problem with that: the magic should always be secondary to the magician. Not in some egotistical way, not in the sense of look what I can do, but the magician is the key to making magic powerful.

When we see something magical, but don't remember the magician's name, we have seen, well, something magical.

When we see something magical, and remember the magician's name, we have seen something personal (and hopefully magical as well).

I feel that we should aim for the latter - and in doing so have them remember us.

Another question: How does your answer change if you're a professional magician? Then your name becomes even more important.

Sep 3, 2007
Just as a warning, the correct grammar is "what do we want to achieve?" instead of does. No sweat.

That is BS. "Instead" should be capitalized on your part.

It could be like this:

Just as a warning the correct grammar is, "what would we like to achieve?" Instead of mothers that had that brother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
Not neccesarily - I remember reading a story about a magician who had a woman come up to him and describe in detail the full amazing experience of a magician who had performed the Invisible Deck for her. She laughed as she recalled the exact steps, she recalled where she was, who she was with, what her friend was wearing, all the details about the venue and the room - she remembered the card she thought of, and what the magician was wearing - but not the magician's name! She obviously had a great time - but in and of itself that experience didn't translate into remembering the guy's name. The magician was secondary to the magic.

Here's my problem with that: the magic should always be secondary to the magician. Not in some egotistical way, not in the sense of look what I can do, but the magician is the key to making magic powerful.

When we see something magical, but don't remember the magician's name, we have seen, well, something magical.

When we see something magical, and remember the magician's name, we have seen something personal (and hopefully magical as well).

I feel that we should aim for the latter - and in doing so have them remember us.

Another question: How does your answer change if you're a professional magician? Then your name becomes even more important.

Problem being that most of us are not professional magicians. Even then, the trick is stronger than the name.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results