Weird Gig

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I just got a gig for Rumours. Hair/Spa type place. These people are very very flashy and don't wanna see mentalism. They want flashy magic. I'm now in a bind. I've got SCTW by Vallarino(sp?) as an opener. I'll probably do Oh! afterwards but I have no idea what to do after that.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I don't know. They said they would give me a call on their next meeting.

I just do any mental effect I feel like doing at the time. I usually tend to wing it. All the time.

It's kind of my first gig. When I perform it's usually very spontaneous and use what I know/have on me at the moment.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well, you can't "wing it" in a professional performance in the sense that you mean it. You need to work out a routine to perform. But only you can do that - use whatever you know.

Mentalism can be visual, by the way. It's all in the performer.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
You need to look at your location..where your performing, and keep in mind the customer. Is this walk around? or will it be a parlour type thing? Strong mentalism won't work best in every setting. If the customer wants to see magic, then do magic? not rocket science haha. Try your best to cator to the customers wants/needs. Get a routine together for it, and be sure to ask how long they want the magic for. Check to see the audience ages and the number of people as well. If you need more help...pm me.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Why does this gig even matter to you if you are ready to quit as you have mentioned in your other thread? Just food for thought.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'll lay money on it that if you marketed yourself as a Mentalist and not just a magician that does mentalism, you wouldn't have this sort of problem. Secondly, I am a mentalist... 20+ years at it... and I work lots of Hair Salons with repeat bookings year after year.

The other point here centers on something Rick Maue talks about every now and then... you don't HAVE TO take the gig.

If an agent/talent buyer calls up wanting a Mind Reader or Magician then they haven't a clue what they actually want. This makes your job a bit tougher when it comes to the sell and standing out from "all the rest" but more importantly, the buyers are calling because they want you or because of what you have established yourself as.

HINT: If you mix magic tricks with mentalism or do mental type effects that come off as being magic tricks YOU'RE A MAGICIAN AND NOTHING OTHER. Expect to be booked as exactly that.

On the other hand, if you present yourself as a genuine Mentalist, leave the magic toys alone and get serious about your skills within that genre, taking dates that only support that image and more to the point YOU and what you are vs. all the others... people will call to book YOU and they will understand why you are worth more (a.k.a. higher fees) than all the others... this is something I learned by watching Max Maven evolve out of his birth persona.

Too many of us make decent money working the Spas & Salons by doing almost exactly what we do when it comes to Home PSI Party situations. If you don't understand that, read the works or Richard Webster and Robert Nelson ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results