So I Got the Master Pushoff

Jan 18, 2009
Right. So now I'm the proud owner of The Master Pushoff. I've watched instuction for the technique and am a tiny bit confused. He keeps talking about pulling your thumb off the edge of the cards until the "hard part" of the skin contacts two cards. He says the nail should contact the top card.

So what, exactly, am I using the fingernail for? If I understand correctly, I should be using the hard part of my skin next to the nail to try to feel for two cards. So what's the nail doing?

He says I have all the details I need to make the sleight work but it's still a little vague. I understand it's more of a knack than anything but the thumb position is kinda weirdly described.

Any input?

Jul 13, 2010
He´ll answer your questions.

A quote of a post / Magic Cafe.
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the kind words about The Master Pushoff! The fact that many of you are starting to acquire the technique quickly is very inspiring to hear!

I spent just as long thinking about what not to include in the explanation as I did on what to include. The key to a technique like the Master Pushoff is to eliminate the technique and to not worry about the exact locations of the fingers and thumb. That's why I show it by just throwing the cards into my hand (without worrying too much about finger positions) and with many different decks (including business cards and miniature decks); because the key is to be able to do it with your hand in any position, with any deck. That's what makes a bulletproof, invisible sleight.

A quick note about consistency: the Master Pushoff was deliberately developed to be surefire every time. I explain a few methods for what to do if you get too few or too many cards, but I never use them. With practice (for some it may take an hour, for others several months), you'll be able to acquire the knack and do it constantly. That's a promise! But the backup methods are there for when you're practicing.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone who is actively working on the technique!

--Andi

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks, guys. I keep forgetting how accessible people in the magic community are. I'll just email Mr. Gladwin straightaway.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results