Laymen favorites

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
Throughout my time in cardistry, I've come to meet people that like what I do for no certain reason. The thing is, most people won't appreciate the moves that I do - like a Sybil, or an Altar display -. But still, I love doing these moves since cardistry is my passion.
But I want to ask you guys - what are the laymen's favorites ? What flourishes must I do to get some good reactions ? What's your point of view ?

-Spk

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
the ones that i get the strongest reaction from are as follows.

1. The spring, its universal, and the sound makes it instantly recognizable. People love it

2. Lepaul spread. This one i usually do when i have a card selected, it catches people off guard and its magic before the trick has started.

3. The pirouette flourish, one of the most underrated little things to throw in to magic and such. People love it and wanna do it.

4. Hot Shot Cut..... the name says it all

5. One handed shuffle.. its just impressive and people always say "i cant even shuffle with two hands" and still expect you to laugh

6. Under Pressure, its just a pretty move and people like to see it

7. TG deck flip, again to their mind it defies physics so its entertaining.

May 2, 2010
the ones that i get the strongest reaction from are as follows.

1. The spring, its universal, and the sound makes it instantly recognizable. People love it

2. Lepaul spread. This one i usually do when i have a card selected, it catches people off guard and its magic before the trick has started.

3. The pirouette flourish, one of the most underrated little things to throw in to magic and such. People love it and wanna do it.

4. Hot Shot Cut..... the name says it all

5. One handed shuffle.. its just impressive and people always say "i cant even shuffle with two hands" and still expect you to laugh

6. Under Pressure, its just a pretty move and people like to see it

7. TG deck flip, again to their mind it defies physics so its entertaining.

I completely agree! It's funny how we're so caught up in learning crazy cuts like Preqel, Pandora and so on when it's the simplest stuff which can impress the most :)

(However I'm not saying I'm going to give up on Preqel...it looks amazing!) :)

Nov 27, 2010
I got some......

1.Card spring, Josh is right. This is the most classic flourish ,but people react to it the most.

2.Vertigo, This is one of those flourishes that looks way harder than it really is!! Use that to your advantage.

3Thumb propulsion, Trust me laymen love aerials!! it shows a lot of skill, because it seems impossible to laymen since cards are so thin.

4.Armspreads, I'm sorry this is XCM ,but laymen react to it a lot. Again, this is another flourish that looks way harder than it really is. If you end it with a nice aerial catch people would love it.

5.Jackson 5, Everybody loves the syblism and Leno cut part. It may be hard to learn but it is worth it.

6.Bumble bee by Garry A, Search it up and learn it on you tube!! You would be happy you did. It takes a while to develop speed ,but when you do the laymen would love it.

7.The Stag, This is another one you can learn on you tube!! it is really hard to learn but the Laymen love the Areal part.

8.Eye display, displays are good ,because many laymen never thought it is possible to hold up more than 4 packets of cards to make a nice looking design.

You need to get the best of both worlds to get good reactions from the audience. Learn some XCM. XCM is good because the moves were created to look impossible and artistic. The only bad thing is you might have to invest in fanning powder.

If you do not feel like investing on an XCM DVD right away you can use this link to get started on some XCM

http://www.LangFlourishing.com.

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
Thanks a lot for the replies guys - this really helps me. Cardistry is the main thing that I focus on, but I also do magic, and I want to change something - do the cardistry part too, since it's my main focus.
Further replies are more than welcome.
Thanks and Thanks in advance.

-Spk

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
These are my top 10 flourishes that I use that always gets great reactions.
1. card spring
2. giant fan
3. pirouette spin
4. long distance spinner
5. hot shot cut
6. tg deck flip
7. molecule 4/ molecule new york
8. one handed shuffle
9. one handed cut
10. spinning top by dan and dave

Sep 18, 2010
SPRING is very strong , but in my opinion Vertigo Hacky Sack is even more amazing, people simply don't understand HOW THE BUCK can you kick cards like a hacky sack

Nov 27, 2010
SPRING is very strong , but in my opinion Vertigo Hacky Sack is even more amazing, people simply don't understand HOW THE BUCK can you kick cards like a hacky sack

HA HA!!!! How the buck........that was funny......you made my day!

Anyway, another good flourish the laymen love is the waterfall shuffle......

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results