Using Music

C

clarrus

I don't think there are too many legalities. I think it's like the magicians code, there really isn't a real one written down but it's fairly understood.

Don't post bad vids. No exposure of the tricks. Make sure it's down solid on camera so people won't be able to figure it out. And try to post up when you did a trick to group of people and their reactions. Not just you in your room with a poster of a bikini model in the background.

Those are just my recomendations. If it's a T11 signature move, I say let the creator see it first and get their blessing before you put it up, just as a precaution....

C

clarrus

don't worry about the song, as long as you are not making a profit off of it, they can't hold you liable. Ignore Prince. If anything just call it a parody if you feel extra cautious.

But do I have to own the song to post it? (on the video)

Nov 6, 2007
Noooo...that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm sayin is if I decide to post a video. And use a song that I don't own...is that illegal? Also is it illegal if I do own the song and I post the video with the song?

(I was refering to Claruss's response, nobody elses)

C

clarrus

Noooo...that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm sayin is if I decide to post a video. And use a song that I don't own...is that illegal? Also is it illegal if I do own the song and I post the video with the song?

Hehe, I didn't fully read that first post. My apologies. As long as you are not making $$ of the video, they can't do anything to you. I think you are referring to Prince trying to sue a family because they used his song in a youtbue thing with their little baby dancing.

As long as there is no money involved, you will be fine. People do it all the time. Youtube has TONS of video's with other peoples music in the background. If any musical artist has a problem with it and you are not making $$, tell them to come see me. I will talk some sense into them.

I watch all four version of Law and Order, I may not know what i'm talking about but it will sound good.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Law and Order might not be the best legal source, as that's not technically correct. In accordance with our media guidelines and best practices, we do have media guidelines that all users must click the checkbox and agree to prior to submission.

There's a ton of royalty free music sites around the net, but I know it's sometimes hard to separate the good stuff from the beats that sound like MC Hammer on a boombox from 1992. Once we finish up a few projects in production behind the scenes, we'll try to post some kickin' sample music that you guys can use in clips.

NOTE: Apparently, Ice T isn't a real cop either.

Seacrest out.

C

clarrus

Law and Order might not be the best legal source, as that's not technically correct. In accordance with our media guidelines and best practices, we do have media guidelines that all users must click the checkbox and agree to prior to submission.

There's a ton of royalty free music sites around the net, but I know it's sometimes hard to separate the good stuff from the beats that sound like MC Hammer on a boombox from 1992. Once we finish up a few projects in production behind the scenes, we'll try to post some kickin' sample music that you guys can use in clips.

NOTE: Apparently, Ice T isn't a real cop either.

Seacrest out.

What do you mean Ice T isn't a real cop!?!?!??!?! Next thing you'll be telling me is that Wrestling is fake. Don't hate on the man cuz his name is that of a casual cordial.

BTW I was just kidding about the Law and Order thing.......Trial by Jury was terrible......I would never watch that again.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com

There's a ton of royalty free music sites around the net, but I know it's sometimes hard to separate the good stuff from the beats that sound like MC Hammer on a boombox from 1992.

Raiker:

There is NOTHING wrong with 1992 MC Hammer... You obviously haven't lived.

I'll have to introduce you to the sweet sounds of Salt 'N Peppa and Vanilla Ice.

Much Love, Bro.

Katie Egleston

I don't think it's illegal, BUT you should at least give credits to the people who wrote, etc, etc.
So to my knowledge you are able to but credits to the person in the video or the video discription would be appropriate, which you would do with the magic or flourishes your doing in the video.

Michael

Ray

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
I don't think it's illegal, BUT you should at least give credits to the people who wrote, etc, etc.
So to my knowledge you are able to but credits to the person in the video or the video discription would be appropriate, which you would do with the magic or flourishes your doing in the video.

Michael

Nope. Its illegal.
Taking music without the permission of the original creator and/or the producer is illegal. It doesn't matter if it is a non profit video, or your holiday movie, or how much you give credit. Its just illegal.
Its something we no/low budget moviemaker have to fight with everytime. And just because all the videos on youtube are tolerated, doesn't mean it is legal.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Nope. Its illegal.
Taking music without the permission of the original creator and/or the producer is illegal. It doesn't matter if it is a non profit video, or your holiday movie, or how much you give credit. Its just illegal.
Its something we no/low budget moviemaker have to fight with everytime. And just because all the videos on youtube are tolerated, doesn't mean it is legal.

ok i see your point...but i also see that you are from Germany...here is the rules of the US straight from the US Copyright Office....

"§ 1101. Unauthorized fixation and trafficking in sound recordings and music videos

(a) Unauthorized Acts. - Anyone who, without the consent of the performer or performers involved -

(1) fixes the sounds or sounds and images of a live musical performance in a copy or phonorecord, or reproduces copies or phonorecords of such a performance from an unauthorized fixation,

(2) transmits or otherwise communicates to the public the sounds or sounds and images of a live musical performance, or

(3) distributes or offers to distribute, sells or offers to sell, rents or offers to rent, or traffics in any copy or phonorecord fixed as described in paragraph (1), regardless of whether the fixations occurred in the United States,"

This is an excerpt from a section regarding the digital music copyrights...it pretty much says that you can do it as long as you are not doing it for personable gain....the best way to put all of this aside is to just get written permission from the composer/artist...in other words shoot him/her an email asking if its ok to use there song as long as its not for commercial purposes."

Hope I Helped!
-BRad

C

clarrus

ok i see your point...but i also see that you are from Germany...here is the rules of the US straight from the US Copyright Office....

"§ 1101. Unauthorized fixation and trafficking in sound recordings and music videos

(a) Unauthorized Acts. - Anyone who, without the consent of the performer or performers involved -

(1) fixes the sounds or sounds and images of a live musical performance in a copy or phonorecord, or reproduces copies or phonorecords of such a performance from an unauthorized fixation,

(2) transmits or otherwise communicates to the public the sounds or sounds and images of a live musical performance, or

(3) distributes or offers to distribute, sells or offers to sell, rents or offers to rent, or traffics in any copy or phonorecord fixed as described in paragraph (1), regardless of whether the fixations occurred in the United States,"

This is an excerpt from a section regarding the digital music copyrights...it pretty much says that you can do it as long as you are not doing it for personable gain....the best way to put all of this aside is to just get written permission from the composer/artist...in other words shoot him/her an email asking if its ok to use there song as long as its not for commercial purposes."

Hope I Helped!
-BRad

Man, you all over this. You should have a spot on Law and Order.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results