Should I teach magic?????

Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have been a magician for about 10 years on and off. I wouldn't say I'm the best but I have been approached by a local community to teach magic to kids. They offered me money for it but because I don't need the money, I am happy to do it for free because I'm that passionate about magic. Even my son has asked me numerous times to teach him!

Magic has given me so much satisfaction and life skills and I want to give this to my son so badly as well. But as a magician I know that the magic world looks down on teaching magic since it's been a 'secret art' for so long. Please share your opinions about this because I'm a split man at the moment!

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far guys! appreciate it! I was just wondering that's all because it is a big thing to 'reveal' such an art publicly and making it free. I only say this because I have been receiving hate messages about what I plan to do (we have a small but strong magic community here)

Please let me know if I am not alone here

Yes, but don't do it for free.
The average price for an hour-long lesson is usually 30 to 50$. Since they are children you could lower the price a bit. If the kids receive the gift of magic for free they won't treat the art with the respect it deserves.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Yes, but don't do it for free.
The average price for an hour-long lesson is usually 30 to 50$. Since they are children you could lower the price a bit. If the kids receive the gift of magic for free they won't treat the art with the respect it deserves.

I disagree.

If they are seriously interested in magic, they'll respect the art regardless of price. If they aren't and just want to learn how to do 'cool things' with cards or coins or whatever, you shouldn't be teaching them, even if you charged.

If you're willing to teach for free, I think that's the greatest thing you could do. Find some serious determined students and teach and teach and teach.

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
If someone young wants to learn magic and are serious about the whole thing, the greatest thing you can do is save the hassle of the parents emptying their wallets.

I would never say to a child "Hey Johnny, wanna learn magic? Yeah? Okay, just ask your parents for $50 and class will be in session!" The parents will think i'm a con man!!

Jungne, i think you should go forth with this. It will be a great experience for you and the younglings. After all, they are the future of magic. Highly recommend you go ahead! :)

And the idea of teaching magic for free comes from one 14 year old who gets his money from his/her parents and from one guy who... well, take a look here, Jay Zamorak (from a Google search). Sorry, but I had to post this, I hate the hypocrisy.

Following your ideas, Toni Slydini was an awful man for charging for his magic lessons.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Hypocrisy? I fail to see it.

I do believe magic should be freely available to those who wish to learn it. And by learn it, I don't mean exposure. I mean learn it to practice it to perform it. That's not to say I have a problem with people charging for lessons, DVDs etc, I understand they work hard on those projects and wish to be compensated, but I am saying I think the teachings and passing on of knowledge and experience is in itself the reward.

If you want to charge for your lessons, I can't stop you, but since you asked for opinions/advice, I am giving mine; personally I would offer free lessons to those serious about the art.

You said yourself you're happy to give them for free, the only concern you had was exposure. It is exposure if you tell someone how an effect works and leave it at that. But to teach a magician an effect for the purposes of them learning, practicing and performing said effect, I don't think we can deem that as exposure. That is what I call teaching; proper teaching, one of the most important ideas in existence.

May 26, 2011
OP, don't listen to anyone and just do whatever makes you happy.

Everyone treats this talent as if it was Kung Fu, which is ridiculous.

I have taught many children and adults the art that is music often for nothing, and it was rewarding for me to introduce them and give them the foundation they need to be creative.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results