New website... thoughts?

Sep 7, 2008
Hey guys,

Here's a link to my new website: http://www.JeffPraceMagic.com (or http://www.JeffPrace.com)
It's quite new, so I'd love to hear your thoughts, tips, advice, and improvements.

It basically has the same content as my last website, but I think it's a major upgrade. It doesn't have music, it's not Flash based, and it has photos, etc. Here's my old site (now without a domain) for those who are interested in seeing the comparison: http://www.wix.com/magicman46/gum

Please note this is not a website for my personal performances; this is only designed as a website for magicians to learn more about me and my products.

Tell me what you think!

Jeff

Jul 13, 2010
Hi! I´m not going to criticize the structure and design, but the photos of yourself are a bit heavy for web use. You can compress them much further without a visual loss of quality.

The photos of yourself are a bit heavy for web use. You can compress them much further without a visual loss of quality.

Definitely. Instead of using CSS to scale down a 1906 x 2742 image you might as well resize the image itself. This will allow the site to load much quicker.

Aesthetically the website is all right and it is certainly easy to navigate. The coding behind it isn't the best but I guess you haven't done much work with HTML or CSS?

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
Its cool, only issue is you have to go back to the home page everytime to get to another page. Try making the links on all pages some how?

Best,

Six

Sep 7, 2008
Hi! I´m not going to criticize the structure and design, but the photos of yourself are a bit heavy for web use. You can compress them much further without a visual loss of quality.

Definitely. Instead of using CSS to scale down a 1906 x 2742 image you might as well resize the image itself. This will allow the site to load much quicker.

I resized the photos so they were much, much smaller. Is the website loading faster now?

Aesthetically the website is all right and it is certainly easy to navigate. The coding behind it isn't the best but I guess you haven't done much work with HTML or CSS?

You're absolutely right; I've done just about no work with HTML or CSS.

Its cool, only issue is you have to go back to the home page everytime to get to another page. Try making the links on all pages some how?

Good idea! I'll play around with different looks to see if I like it.

www.jeffpracemagic.com isn't working right now. Just an FYI.

Really? It's working on my computer. What does it lead you to?

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Oh, my day job! Okay, I'm going to dig into what I see wrong but there's something I like, too.

Proposed changes
I wouldn't have noticed the image thing as much due to a faster connection, but people are right. You should never use HTML or CSS to resize your image. Upload the images again at the same dimensions that they appear on the web site. The image takes less disk space that way, and takes less time to get sent over the internet to your visitors.

You don't need the gray squares behind "Jeff Prace Magic" or any of the links on your site. Those gray backgrounds detract from the strengths of your site.

The images on About, News and Contact are broken.

With only about five pages on your site, you might want to consider a small section at the bottom that links to all of your other pages. It can be one line that you copy and paste across your entire site, in normal size text, such as:

Home - About - News - Products - Contact​

Reiterating your Facebook and Twitter links on your contact page would be helpful to you and your users.

Last change: Most magicians I am aware of will describe the benefits of their live show on their site. That could be useful information for the About section. Even if your main goal is to sell products, it should give an air that you use your own work in the real world, too. ("I'm not only the Hair Club president, I'm also a client.")

Good things!

I mentioned there's an elegance in simplicity. Once your site is tweaked, you should be well on your way to fulfilling that. Do not take "simplicity" to mean "simpleton." In this case it means "obvious intent" and "getting the user where he wants to be." Those are things a web site should do in almost every case. Those are strengths of your current design.

I think you're very close to fully realizing the good simplicity, which can mean happier visitors to your site. Happy visitors mean more than happier critics on a message board, too.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I completely agree with the above poster - I started writing my post before it was up and am now editing to reply to his comments.

Simplicity vs Simpleton is dead on! I do want to mention that finding that right amount of Simplicity to match your content can be extremely difficult and will require a lot of trial and error. Sometimes it can a simple difference between using this font or that font, size 14px font or size 12 px font, underlined or no decoration active links, etc... Go step by step to figure these things out.

He did also mention some various simple web standards (which I mention down below as well). For example, a static bottom page navi menu that is on all pages. This not only helps the visitor but aslo the more internal links your page has, the better it is for your search engine optimization.

One thing the above poster may not have realized is the site you have used to create your website. I believe it automatically resizes the images you upload using HTML /CSS, rather than resizing them at the upload and saving them at a new size. Try to find the size they are using, re-size the images yourself, and re-upload them.

On to my original post '

Hey, these will be my 2 cents.

It appears as though you have used www.webstarts.com for your site design. This can be a good place to start, but it will serve you better in the long run to take the time to learn the finer workings of a website (view your source code and spend hours on hours learning what each thing does). The webstarts program has a drag and drop function for building websites and setting up your main design. Although this is an easy way to go about it, it creates a non-web standard website and comes with a lot of bugs. It does not create an external style sheet which ultimately will hurt the site.

Moving onto the non technical aspects of the site. The font size is way too large and the background color with the font color does not suit the black background.

You want a static navigation menu that is on each of the pages, rather than just the a single "home" link on the various pages.

The overall wording for the various content has a subtle "amateur" feel to it. It doesn't flow too smoothly and there are inconsistencies in the various grammar usage. Try running the content by a few different people for editing and find something that you like.

Font color for the content (not the nave menu this time) is hard on the eyes.

All black websites are extremely difficult to pull off. They look amazing when they are pulled off, but quite... not so good all other times.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging, but in this day and age with how viral the web 2.0 movement is and how it is slowly becoming a 3.0 reality, where CMS sites are standard and readily available, and brand and personal image reflected through one's site directly relates to their future success, taking these things too lightly could end up hurting them in the long run.

Just remember that the site design must match the site content. Content cannot outshine the design - as it will not be taken seriously, and the design cannot outshine the content, as it could appear fraudulent. You mentioned it was not a site necessarily aimed for promoting your performances to prospective clients, but you do mention professionally released or soon to be released products and if your site does not back those things up, you may not be taken seriously.

Cheers,
Eric

The first two major pieces of advice I can give you are:
first - learn about web standards and external style sheets (your CSS style sheet). These will allow you to create a website that appears nearly almost the same in all browsers and will also help you to modify your site more easily further on down the road. When viewing your source code, all of your tags' style attributes are internally coded, and almost seems as if you

second -

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
tokyo, I honestly did assume that he was using a web based WYSIWYG, and tried to keep what I said on par with what he was doing. I'm a strong believer in hand-coding whenever possible and have been pushing to learn what I can about HTML5. That canvas element is proving to be a lot of fun. Saving the state of about 50 canvas elements to a MySQL database is decidedly not as fun, but I'm doing that too.

With that in mind, I also assumed that Prace is a magician whose livelihood comes from his magic. He made a wonderful start with the tools and knowledge on hand, so I made it a point to propose the best ways to use his current toolset.

Sep 7, 2008
Andrew, thanks so much for all the advice! It's much appreciated. I made all of your proposed changes except for the gray squares - I like the look, and they help with navigation. I'll consider changing the content on the "About" page, as well.

Eric, what grammar errors did you see?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi Jeff, I don't know a lot about the behind the scenes work like the above posters,but just from another standpoint, I do like it. It is very clean looking and is simple to navigate. It serves its point.

Sep 7, 2008
Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 10, 2011
It's alright, not great; but, it works.

As an intermediate web designer, I think that using an online "helper" was your best and most viable bet, other than paying a designer. What was most impressive was that your site address wasn't something along the lines of "WWW.freewebsite.com/generic-website. I have not had experience with your "helper" program, but from the looks of the simplistic design as opposed to the boggy code, AndrewJ (i think he said it) is right in that you could run into some bugs. Some things I would do personally is add a page of videos and testimonials so people get a grasp of your performance style. As for the testimonials, get some from customers ("plain folks" advisement strategy) and from some bigger names in magic, such as Blane and Copperfield (this is "spokesperson" advisement). Don't think that the big guys wont respond, I have heard both Copperfield and Blane are very helpful.

Some things I would change on design:
1) The links on your home page would look a little more professional if they (in laymen terms) changed color to indicate that, yes, this is definitely a button.
2) Establish a color scheme. Your home page has a sort of pastell yellow. but when we go to any page, we get this darker yellow. and then every page's links are white except the ones on home page. You can find a color scheme generator here.
3)Lay off on the scrolling homepage. None of the others scroll and the only one that does, does so because of an over sized image.
4) You wrote "You can contact Jeff through email and, he will get back to you quickly:". I'm not sure about the grammar here, but it doesn't look right. Maybe its me.
5) On your "contact" page change the color of the link text and add some "alt=" to replace your email just hanging out there.

There's more but i don't want to overload you. All in all, good job.

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks for your thoughts!

I changed the color scheme so the main text is all white, and the orange is for menus. I think it looks more uniform this way.

I decreased the size of the main photo; do you still have to scroll? (I have a rather large monitor so I didn't have to scroll in the first place)

I added video reviews to the "Gum" page. There are reviews from Luke Dancy, Calen Morelli, and Mike Hankins, among others.

I fixed the grammar on the "Contact" page; I put the comma in the incorrect place. I also changed the email link so my email is not out in the open.

http://www.jeffprace.com/trial2.html

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results