The Myth by Ben Train :: Review

TITLE and Creator: The Myth by Ben Train

Effect: The magician pulls out a deck or playing cards and invites the spectator to shuffle and cut the deck to their hearts content. The Magician then explains that he is able to cut to the aces whenever he wants to, and proceeds to cut the deck.

Price: $9.95 at The Blue Crown

Teaching: Ben is a FANTASTIC teacher, explaining everything you need to know extremely well. It's obvious that he is a very knowledgeable magician, as every time he refers to a specific move or sleight, he cites multiple sources as to where you can learn it. The majority of the video is shot over the shoulder so that you can see exactly what Ben is doing. The only times the camera is straight on is when Ben is demonstrating what the spectator would see. While a few of the sleights that Ben talks about aren't fully explained (he gives you the resources where to properly learn them and briefly covers the basic mechanics) these moves are suggestions he gives to improve the routine. None of the moves are imperative to the routine. Ben also covers several scenarios and how to remedy them during the routine. He essentially covers everything and anything that could happen while performing The Myth.

Quality of materials(if it is a gimmick etc): Without revealing the method, Ben explains in detail how to prepare the cards so you can perform the routine. I have never heard of this particular method of preparing cards before so I found this section extremely interesting. One thing that is nice about the particular gaffs you are making, is that you can keep them in your deck at all times, and they can even be examined by spectators. These gaffs are essentially invisible unless you know what to look for.

Difficulty: It's quite obvious that Ben has been doing this for a long time. It will take some practice to get as smooth as Ben performs it, however this is well within the abilities of an intermediate card magician. The way the Myth is explained, Ben assumes that the viewer has a basic knowledge of card sleights. This routine is definitely one I look forward to practicing as it really does look incredible.

Applications: Ben performs this talking about John Scarne, however he also mentions several other ways of presenting this effect. Additionally once you learn the method, Ben gives a few ideas as how you can use that method with other effects.

Overall Rating: While I already perform a Scarne's Aces routine (Damian Nieman's off of "Fast Company") I will definitely be learning this as well so that I can switch up my methods. The effect was taught extremely well and there were several hilarious moments that happened throughout the DVD (I particularly enjoyed the "CM Production") If you are a card guy, I highly recommend this. Gambling magic is one of my favorite types of Magic, and this routine would work well within any gambling routine.

Apr 20, 2010
I got this the hour it was released and have to mention a few things in more details.

There ARE gimmicks in the deck. They CAN be noticed by spectators, but probably will not be because most spectators do not know what they're looking for. Though this kind of gimmick isn't unusual, I would say this specific style gimmick is uncommon.

That said, this download was amazing. I don't regret it once. Even if you NEVER perform this trick (but you will. I've only had it since it came out and I've been using it so often.), the history and other techniques taught by Mr. Train make this worth getting. He is also super friendly and approachable on forums, facebook, youtube, etc. It's clear he's given this much thought, and I'll be watching for more things from him and snatch them immediately.

Regarding difficulty: after construction of the gimmick(s) this trick is nearly self working. If you can shuffle and z****w shuffle, you can do this the second after learning how it's done. If not, you can pick it up very easily and be performing it very soon.

get this

zanethresher

Banned
Dec 31, 2011
They CAN be noticed by spectators, but probably will not be because most spectators do not know what they're looking for. I've personally read or watched every of these titles and would recommend them all. My favorite is probably Samurai Champloo if thats something you'd want to start with.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results