Mark by Cody Nottingham

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Mark by Cody Nottingham

The effect can be purchased here: http://www.ltbmagic.com/mark-cody-nottingham. [If you are using a Mac, use Safari to download to avoid inconvenience.

The effect:

Markings drawn on an ordinary coin can change, disappear or transpose with nothing more than a wave of your hands. 9/10

The method:

The method is simple and plays well with spectators. There is a small amount of set up but once you’re set up, you are ready to perform at a moments notice. Numerous effects can be created as you are only limited to what your mind can conjure. Only one coin is used, it is practical and extremely visual. You can make several set ups for multiple routines at almost no cost. Most of the materials you already own. You will have to use permanent ink on the coin you use to perform the effect. The audience can examine the coin after the move has been executed. The effect will not take long to get down-you can go out and perform after 5 minutes after watching the explanation. 9/10

Quality:
The download isn’t HD but it is easy enough to follow along and understand what Cody is doing. The background music is a bit too loud but it is still manageable to hear exactly what he is saying. The video is shot looking down on Cody from a spectator’s point of view. 6/10

Teaching:

Cody’s teaching is very clear and easy to follow. He teaches you everything you need to know to perform Mark in detail. 8/10

Price:

Mark is priced at $5 and included with the basic idea are 3 routines that utilise the same concept. Although the quality could be a bit better, I think it is well worth the money. 10/10

Overall:
Mark is a great effect and Cody is an equally good teacher. If you are looking for visual, powerful coin magic, this is for you. 9/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 1, 2009
Cody is a great magician and extremely creative and this is a very visual fun easy to do trick. Nice review!

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I've been meaning to post mine up, so this is my review of the product.

Premise of the effects: Altering marks on a coin. No switches are made to the coin, no funny markers. The effect is satisfying in terms of its visual aspect.

A little bit of intro to this effect is that it’s worth the money. I have difficulties rating effects, so I usually just differentiate between effects that are worth the money and the effects that are not. I’ve also seen Cody’s previous ideas and I knew this would be a good one. Without much else to say, here is the review.

I believe one of the strongest things as a magician can do is alter what audience perceives as unchangeable. When someone pulls out a sharpie, make a mark, they know it’s gonna be on there for good (or at least for a while). Being able to change a permanent marker on a coin, with right presentation can be a stellar effect for your close up effect.

Due to the fact it is a mark alteration on a coin, it is designed for a rather smaller crowd. It may play for up to three school lunch table worth of people, I would think. I’m sure some can play bigger, but I’d say ideally, dinner table is the best size of crowd to create intimacy and whatnot. Luckily, the angle is very friendly for this effect and no one will be able to see the secret to the effect at the moment of magic.

The method has been used fairly commonly for some periods of time in other aspects of magic. However, this is first time I’m seeing it applied to coin magic. The gimmick is very small, easy to carry around, but does require some gentle care. Fear not, as the gimmick is very easy to make. Gimmick is hidden at plain sight, so it will require some self-conviction that the gimmick is not there. However, it’s well hidden, and with some practice every part of the video should come to you fairly easily. You can use any sized coins, but I would say US quarter or fairly common currency is for the better.

The video is not shot on HD, but everything is clearly visual and no questions are left in terms of explanations. However, the background music grew irksome with time, but that could be just me. I was hoping it was kept softer than Cody’s explanations.

I think the 3 routines he teaches, are well thought out. Cody does not teach his patters of the effect. I think it shouldn’t be too difficult to come up with your own patters, given the premise.

This was rather dry review. I wouldn’t say I would use it every day. I think at table hopping and you grow proficient with this effect, I can see it and it killing. My preference is coin effects that do not require gimmicks that are a little fidgety, and this effect borders towards that.

If you have any questions, I’ll be more than happy to answer them. I think even if you don’t use it regularly, it’s worth the price.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
I think both of our reviews are more than enough for those looking to purchase the effect. Thanks for posting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results