What the trick called?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
i love magic that is just going up and doing something without asking them if they want to see something

I take it that you love being punched in the face then?

The "attack" form of Magical "Performance" has no sense of class let alone anything that resembled RESPECT. . . whatever happened to the idea of treating people the way you would like to be treated?

If some stranger runs up to me and invades my personal space without invitation I will respond in a manner that equates to self-defense i.e. thumping them with my cane or running over their toes with my wheelchair (with me in it we're talking 500 lbs across your instep). In certain parts of this country the reaction could very well be a gun muzzle in your face or a knife in your gut.

So, ignoring the stupidity behind such tactics and the obvious lack of grace such a person seems to possess, why do so many of today's young people think it perfectly fine to jump out of the bushes and shove a deck of cards in someone's face?

If you want to do Street Magic, then learn to build a tip and do a solid job with the gab so that you have a decent crowd that will pay you based on what they think your deserve -- EARN THE KUDOS vs encouraging applause as a way to make you leave.

There's a guy on another forum that thinks "doing a show" is going out to the mall or park and doing a couple of tricks -- far from it! Such things are "bits" or "teasers" as we used to refer to them; the things that get people through the front door of the side show where you pump them for the cash. That's (metaphorically) what sidewalk magic is about, not molesting people that just happen to cross your path.

I'm confident at least one of your parents have said this to you but as a grumpy old guy thats' been around this stuff far too long I'll say it just so you might hear it this time, 'GROW UP!" If you love magic then respect it as well as your audience and your self by doing it right, with dignity and style; do it in a way that offers the prospect their freedom to say NO and walk away without being harassed. Learn to give the public something they want to experience so you and EARN their trust, their money and their word-of-mouth PR.

Think about it!

Oct 23, 2007
I'm not to sure whats wrong with an effect that might make people think twice about what is going on. There are a lot magicians that do effects like this. I think telling someone to grow up is a little much. Also as a performer of any art trail and error is a main part of finding your standing point in that art and just how you will present that art to your viewers. lets try to answer the question that people ask and do less bashing on someone who seems to be newer and finding his self in our lovely thing called magic Because really I find it unnecessary for the hateful comments from older magicians to younger magicians.There is just no need to push your performing beliefs on another performer.If we were all the same our audiences would get bored.The trick you are looking for has many variations here is one www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11095.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
i love magic that is just going up and doing something without asking them if they want to see something http://media.theory11.com/6291-Nil-Xtreme-Magic#write_comment

Craig, I respect your opinion and I know what you're going at but I don't think that's the kind of magic tomstain is talking about. He gave an example of using magic to do an everyday activity. It's similar to performing "Prophet" when you go to pay for your meal at a restaurant. It is situational magic that he's looking for, like it is used in the video clip, not gorilla magic. Lance Burton performed the effect in a similar unsuspecting way in his show a few years back. It's a powerful way to perform it.

Anyways the effect is a variation on Airborne, it's available at Tannen's.

If you like that train of thought Jay Sankey released a video called bending the real where he covers mostly magic that can be used in situations like that. The magic isn't incredibly strong, because it's meant to be performed on the fly to give those around you a sureal experience. If you wanted it might be worth checking out as well

Jan 19, 2009
I think you misunderstand me. I love the fact that if you talking to someone at a party or out, then just ask them if they want to see something that goes fast and dosent need a story behind the trick. or if you are outside a club and someone is smoking then just ask them if you can borrow the smoke for one sec, then you make theire smoke float.
And the trick there you get the cup to float at the bar is not bad, because you dont need to talk to them, you can just sit with some people then do it. people will turn there heads and wonder whats going on.

BTW my bad for bad explaing,

Jan 19, 2009
i just watch the trailer of Bending the Real by Jay Sankey. and thats just the thing I mean. I love the bending and sharing if you can called it that. thank you for the tip, I am gonna get this dvd, perfect for me:)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It has some very creative presentations, it's not the most powerful stuff in the world but it sounded like what you wanted. Jay Sankey also has a youtube channel where he explains a few "bends" as he calls them, most of them are new takes on classic effects.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
tomstian. . . yes it was my misinterpreting things. . . I was envisioning you doing the hit & run C*R*A*P so many younger people love to do because they think that's what Criss Angel and David Blaine do or they've seen video of such antics, forgetting that such work is typically staged for the camera and everyone these day's performs to the camera vs. real audiences. . . or so it seems.

Situational Magic/Mentalism I fully support and use daily, so go for it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results