Why use second deal instead of bottom?

May 9, 2013
hi everyone, i am practicing bottom ,strike second and greek deal for a 18 months now and i just got center deal by jason england and when i seen it its very hard to do and and i d9nt get a point to use it in real performance i mean why should i use center when i can do bottom or greek deal orstrike second and i beleive in a year my false deals will be perfected. thats my question thanks for reading and have an awesome day.THANKS

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Well, I wouldn't say the second deal is a good move for "cheats". Even Erdnase says that the primary use for second deals is in combination with a marked deck. As for the center deal, I don't think anyone really uses it in magic or cheating. I know the move exists, but pulling it off is one of the hardest things you can do with a deck of cards. Most argue that all that effort isn't worth the result. I'd say bottom deals and second deals are good for different situations. Bottom deals are good for multiple card control, second deals are good for single card control. As for your closing statement, no one masters the Greek deal, the bottom deal AND the second deal in a YEAR. Regardless, I hope this information helped.

Patrick Varnavas

May 9, 2013
correction

i am sorry i mistyped it i mean why use CENTER DEAL instead of bottom,greek or strike second SORRY

May 9, 2013
i am not gonna master them i know that no one can master these false deals in 2 and a half years or so but in 4 or 5 years they will because learning thing in video format is 99% easier than learning them from books and this i can say it by myself because i tried to learn bottom deal form expert at the card table book for 6 months but i didnt get concept in my mind correcty but with the download and the intricated teaching of jason england now i can say that I CAN DO GOOD BOTTOM DEALS.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Well, I suppose this is just one of the "move monkey" arguments, similar to the debate over the Pass. The answer to your question is to use what you think works best. The reason people try new moves in the first place is to try and make their lives easier as a magician/mechanic. Why'd you learn the bottom deal? I'd imagine someone who loves the Center deal could ask this same question but in reverse, why control the cards from one spot when you can deal them from anywhere in the deck? It's just a matter of personal preference, do what you're comfortable with as a card handler.

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
In my opinion the center deal is one of the hardest and probably the most useless move in cheating, most people who use the move only use it after cut to deal the cards that were once on top to themselves, in my opinion its a whole lot easier to put them on the bottom, use a dead cut and then bottom deal to yourself because mastering that will be a whole lot easier than mastering the center deal.

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
The reason people try new moves in the first place is to try and make their lives easier as a magician/mechanic. Why'd you learn the bottom deal? I'd imagine someone who loves the Center deal could ask this same question but in reverse, why control the cards from one spot when you can deal them from anywhere in the deck? It's just a matter of personal preference, do what you're comfortable with as a card handler.
That pretty much sums up this whole arguement though.

Oct 11, 2010
Denmark
That pretty much sums up this whole arguement though.

If you notice the last sentence
"It's just a matter of personal preference, do what you're comfortable with as a card handler"
You'll perhaps realise that he wasn't trying to convince you, but inform you.

I'd say that regardless of your technical abilities, in any given situation you draw from your bank of knowledge to produce the best method. And as such I would advise that you, that after you've learned the centerdeal to a performance level, you assess the move compared to bottom and greek deal in a performance setting. If that indeed is your goal.

So, as Jason England says "I'll see you in ten years"

Sep 2, 2007
London
This seems like an odd question to me. It's like asking, "Why buy a Ferrari when a Hyundai will do the job?" If you just want to get from A to B then yeah, sure, get a Hyundai, which in this analogy is equivalent to sticking to the bottom deal. Maybe there are other considerations though.

A Ferrari (like learning the centre deal) brings prestige with it, it's evidence of a certain kind of status, it draws admiration and attention from your peers, it has a certain kind of beauty to it, driving it gives you a unique kind of experience and, in certain specific situations, it performs in a way that a Hyundai couldn't. If any of those things are important to you then learning a centre deal might be important to you. If you are simply wanting to go to the shops and back, though, then save your money and get the Hyundai. By which I mean save your time and effort and don't bother learning the centre deal.

One other thought, though. People who really know about cars (Formula 1 drivers, racing engineers, etc.) don't buy Hyundais. In the same way, people who really know about cards (Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, Steve Freeman, Bill Kalush, Ricky Jay, Jason England, Martin Nash, etc.) learn the centre deal. To me, that would be enough of an argument for learning it. Copying the habits of successful people, even when you don't quite understand them, is a great route to success.

May 9, 2013
i think you like cars more than cards LOL. thanks for your advice now i am gonna learn center deal but can you tell me that in download of center by obviously jason england he talks and show 2 other center deal by alan kennedy and 1 more great person and i really like those and they look much easier than the jason englands center deal.where i can find them and are they in video teaching or is only available in books? thanks.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Well, there isn't an "easy" center deal. As for your question, I don't know unfortunately. Check the credit section of the download, it may be briefly discussed there.

May 9, 2013
i know that its not gonna easy but i kind of like it more than jason englands and in the credits section it says books and i can't learn from books if its in vidoe format than it will be great.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
There's one relatively easy centre deal that I'm aware of (still not a walk in the park, though) and it's Martin Nash's. He teaches it on Volume 5 of his Award-Winning Card Magic DVD set. Also, the Kennedy deal is taught on Dai Vernon's Revelations DVD set.

Other DVD resources for various centre deal techniques include Fernando Keops' Cheating at Cards, Volume 2 of Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control, Andrew Wimhurst's Card Artistry, Richard Turner's The Cheat and Steve Forte's Gambling Protection Series. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something on one of Darwin Ortiz's DVDs too.

I would strongly recommend, however, that you practice learning from books. Otherwise there's a whole world of beautiful sleight-of-hand that you're missing out on. If you find book-learning difficult, start with something very basic just to get yourself in the habit. It'll be worth it in the long run.

May 15, 2012
Malaysia
i dont think second can instead bottom deal , both of them is great and versatile
For instance , if u can do your false dealing like Jason England even Steve Forte , that will become nothing different between bottom and second deal :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results