Missing the top card on a double lift

Oct 31, 2013
This has happened to me a couple times in practice where I will go to double lift, and I some how miss the top card and double lift the second and third card. And I started to wonder, if this would be something to practice to make natural or when could something like this be useful? Even just single lifting the second card and ignoring the top.

Feb 10, 2013
I honestly don't even see how that is possible. You must be doing one strange version of a double lift.

Oct 31, 2013
I do a normal push off double lift. And I guess my finger, when I go to grab the corner, catches the second card from the underside instead of the top. So when I go to spin the cards on the base of my palm, my finger doesn't catch the top card, instead slides the second (and third sometimes) card out from below it. That's the best way I can explain it

This is a really rare thing for me to do. But it has happened enough that I've noticed.

Aug 18, 2013
To me it sounds like you're doing and accidental stud deal, thats just what I picture from the description that you gave though.

Qlancy

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This has happened to me a couple times in practice where I will go to double lift, and I some how miss the top card and double lift the second and third card. And I started to wonder, if this would be something to practice to make natural or when could something like this be useful? Even just single lifting the second card and ignoring the top.

You're describing an odd second deal.

Jul 13, 2010
I do a normal push off double lift. And I guess my finger, when I go to grab the corner, catches the second card from the underside instead of the top. So when I go to spin the cards on the base of my palm, my finger doesn't catch the top card, instead slides the second (and third sometimes) card out from below it. That's the best way I can explain it

This is a really rare thing for me to do. But it has happened enough that I've noticed.
Sounds like Vernon`s "New Theory" Second Deal (not sure, but I think it is in one of the Vernon books).
Does it look like this ? Starts at 0:40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9uBiRQlYw

I think if you do your double in this style (stud turnover), it`s a very nice move to keep your multiple lifts and seconds uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2013
Oct 31, 2013
Sounds like Vernon`s "New Theory" Second Deal (not sure, but I think it is in one of the Vernon books).
Does it look like this ? Starts at 0:40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9uBiRQlYw

I think if you do your double in this style (stud turnover), it`s a very nice move to keep your multiple lifts and seconds uniform.

If I understand how he is doing that deal, that is exactly what happens to me. So it can be a useful tool to know how to do that. Though how often it is used, it up to the magician.

Aug 18, 2013
i am not getting well the suggestion as i am confused and becoming more confused by the many reads .. any thought on it
Too many people replied to your problem. The reason being, that as magicians we feel naturally drawn to being smarter than pretty much anyone, excluding other magicians. so when the time comes to show some magic knowledge to there fellow legerdemain, they jump at the chance by all saying THE SAME ANSWER!!!!!! So essentially the answer is that you are doing a stud second deal.

Qlancy

P.S. as stated earlier I answerd first so…I am now Zach England (Jason England+Zach Mueller=Awsome)

Jul 13, 2010
That wasn`t my point Qlancy. I didn`t try to be a smart-ass or redundant. Sorry if I made this impression. My point was to me more specific. From his description, particulary the spin at the base of his palm, was an indication that it could (of course I wasn`t sure so I linked the video) be Vernon`s "New Theory" second deal (a variation of it). Of course it`s stud style in the video, but there are many methods of stud second dealing. I thought beeing more specific would help him to explore the origins of what he was doing.

Aug 18, 2013
That wasn`t my point Qlancy. I didn`t try to be a smart-ass or redundant. Sorry if I made this impression. My point was to me more specific. From his description, particulary the spin at the base of his palm, was an indication that it could (of course I wasn`t sure so I linked the video) be Vernon`s "New Theory" second deal (a variation of it). Of course it`s stud style in the video, but there are many methods of stud second dealing. I thought beeing more specific would help him to explore the origins of what he was doing.
Noooooooo, I didn't think that was you're point, I thought you might be confused by why so many people posted the same thing. You only came of as wonderful.

Qlancy

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results