New Creators

Jan 6, 2014
Hi, I'm a new magician to the community. I will be making; A website, YouTube channel, this post, and a twitter. Any suggestions on how to get out there a bit? I'm working on some new tricks to post on The Wire. Thanks

Sep 2, 2007
London
I'd recommend following this process to fame and fortune:

1. Learn the fundamentals for your particular branch(es) of magic (you've probably already done this as you describe yourself as a creator, but you'd be surprised how many people don't, so it's worth mentioning),
2. Achieve mastery of whatever it is that you do,
3. Get some tricks published in well-known magic magazines,
4. Use your YouTube channel to post videos of live performances,
5. Use Twitter and forums to engage with the magic community in an engaging, humble and knowledgeable way,
6. When you're besieged by people clamouring to see more from you, release some tricks on the Wire.

I think that pretty much covers it! Have fun!

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
It's quite simple, first off all get any notion of being famous out of your head. Like TeeDee said learn fundamentals of magic, from the classic books, not dvd's of magic, walk before you can run. Start performing as much as you can to get performance experience, its one thing knowing a trick its another knowing how to perform them in a entertaining and engaging way. Limit yourself to learning only a small amount of effects when your starting out, and becoming excellent at them, so you can do them without even thinking about them.

Things like websites, youtube channels, twitter mean nothing if your just starting out in magic. All you will do is be showing the world that your not a very good magician. Before you put yourself out there make sure you have something to put out, and I'm not talking about 'original tricks'. You need to build your foundations and get good at them so you can build a solid understanding of the art, learn the classic tricks before even thinking about making and 'releasing' your own material.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Many years ago I wrote an article about over-night genius types that had been involved with magic for less than 2 years and thought they were educated enough to develop "new" magic. While a few exceptions exist 99% of these people fail horribly and become laughing stocks. . . I'm certain that's not the course you wish to take, so let's break things down (and TeeDee gave you a reasonable outline on that front).

The bulk of my personal innovations have been joint projects and collaborations with other noted designers, I was even involved with the insanity around the TWISTER Illusion now credited to Bill Smith (since he built the first one -- there was about 6 of us that actually brainstormed the idea either together or separately). . . nonetheless, when it comes to the typical magician the bulk of what they offer as "new" is a twist on an old Card Trick. . . DON'T DO THAT if you actually want to stand out from the crowd; take the time to develop something more novel and viable to the market.

Yes, I have a bias towards cards because Maigicians seem to worship them and get blinded to the fact that there's a hell of a lot more to magic than pasteboard tricks. I'm not saying that I hate card magic, I actually love GOOD card magic but it's more rare than great sex.

So, find that niche that you can relate to and that "fits you"
Give yourself a year to learn and perfect all you can that's associated with that niche, keeping notes all the way, when it comes to epiphanies and other brain farts that WILL happen.
At the end of that year review your notes and start looking at what might be practical to work on and evolve (trust me, you'll laugh at yourself for thinking certain of these things as viable, but that's part of learning).
Select a dozen or so pieces and submit them to the various magazines; Genii, Magic, MUM, TOPs, Linking Ring, etc. and get the series published.
In the meantime, start working on your stronger material and using it in your shows; let other magicians see you doing it and DO NOT SHARE IT YET. . . let them chomp at the bit for at least 6 months if not longer and then slowly let out the secret to a select few so the effect starts getting some play and you can get more feedback about improvements, presentations, audience reaction.
NOW YOU'RE READY. .. I encourage my students to take such a collection of effects and write a book first and foremost; a book with at least a dozen or more effects + essays (theory discussions). DO NOT sell it as an eBook if you want to actually make money and not get ripped off via eBook pirates. . . the majority of noted contributors to Mentalism right now, are all shifting towards soft & hard backed books to help protect their materials.
Even before that book officially hit the press, get started on your second book or a video
Continue to share ideas via sources like the Wire and major publications, including e-Publications like VANISH, Mystic Menagerie, etc.
REMEMBER: you win over the market based on how much your name is seen but more importantly, how much it is seen with solid routines. This also allows you to charge that little bit more as things move forward.

Another article I penned for On-Line VISIONS many years back, was about being an e-Leberty. . . a kind of forum Celebrity that gets an ego and thinks themselves a pentacle within the Universe. The Internet has created many such individuals and thankfully, most of them tend to be far more down to earth than not. My point is, you need to become known in more than one forum; I'm an e-Leberty because I'm known on mulitple forums as well as several publications. This adds value to you and what you market as well, so take the year or two (starting now) to build on that image by contributing to several different forums (just be careful as to what you share on the Cafe, you will get ripped off).

Best of luck!

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm not planning on getting "famous" so to speak. I want to help "make" magicians. I'm brainstorming an idea for a (sorry) card trick. I do branch out. I use close-up magic of all kinds and I lean towards street magic. I use cards, coins, bills, flowers, loops, and balloons (pressure) but I have an idea I quite enjoy and think that some people in the community will as well. Thanks again guys! Any other insight/ideas are appreciated!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Brainstorming and jam sessions are an excellent way to earn your chops and cultivate a reputation within the industry. But based on what you describe I'd suggest you submit it as an article to established publications such as the LINKING RINGS, MUM, MAGIC, etc. Hell, let me see it and if I think it has any merit I'll submit it to VANISH for you. . . it's up to you however, to continue the relationship.

Writing articles with routines will get you known within magic, it's a stepping stone that adds greatly to one's resume and you can use it for when you're ready to move forward with things or simply stay with it, free of the insanity that is professional magic.

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks again guys! (sorry it's been so long, I'm moving across the U.S.) I might consider collaboration with somebody, but my ideas (and I have many) are hard to put into text. When it comes to magic I like to be a very visual person *ahem* and anyone have any suggestions for good card-trick-teaching books? Lastly, I have one more question; Has anyone heard of a semi-popular stage magician named Joe Black?

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Thanks again guys! (sorry it's been so long, I'm moving across the U.S.) I might consider collaboration with somebody, but my ideas (and I have many) are hard to put into text. When it comes to magic I like to be a very visual person *ahem* and anyone have any suggestions for good card-trick-teaching books? Lastly, I have one more question; Has anyone heard of a semi-popular stage magician named Joe Black?

What books do you currently own and/or working through at the moment?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I must repeat something here when it comes to "ideas". . . 99% are rubbish, not my thinking as much as that of established award winning effect developers like Franz Harary. I personally have at least two file cabinets full of "great ideas" that have and probably will never see the light of day and that's before we get into how often me, someone with experience doing this kind of work, reinvents the wheel all over again.

It's VERY difficult to come up with clean, "original" magic and it is rarely profitable.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I must repeat something here when it comes to "ideas". . . 99% are rubbish, not my thinking as much as that of established award winning effect developers like Franz Harary. I personally have at least two file cabinets full of "great ideas" that have and probably will never see the light of day and that's before we get into how often me, someone with experience doing this kind of work, reinvents the wheel all over again.

It's VERY difficult to come up with clean, "original" magic and it is rarely profitable.

I really hope that the original poster reads and re reads this again. There seems to be a spate of people coming around with the notion that they have the latest and greatest ideas that will change the magic world, without having enough knowledge about the world they are trying to change. I kind of get this sense that the 'apprenticeship' (for want of a better term) in magic is being forgotten, and those getting into magic today see it a quite a simple path to walk down, which I feel can end up trivializing something which should be pursued to the point where it becomes artful and never trivial, hope that makes some resemblance of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2014
I do not have the name as of now. I have 2 small ones but they are packed away.. And possibly have been stolen (long story)

Jan 6, 2014
And (I read everything on here eventually) I don't feel I'm going to change the magic world. I am working on tricks to mash up with others to build routines that I feel could be used. I don't even plan on monetizing anything as of yet, as I understand that some people don't have a lot of money to spend on anything, let alone magic. I want to make some good tricks that could help people become better magicians. Thanks again for replying.
P.S. Everyone has to start somewhere. There is often no harm in putting yourself out there, especially if you are doing it to help others.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Please don't think I was having a dig at you because I wasn't, there is nothing wrong putting yourself out there and the fact that you are talking and thinking about routines to put together is commendable especially if you are just starting out. My point was (although it may have come across wrong, for which I apologize) is don't run before you can walk. Get your basics and fundamentals down first and learn some tricks and see how they can fit together and understand why they do, start performing to people to gain experience and understand stage craft, misdirection ect.

If you are just starting out I can certainly help point you in a good direction in terms of things to read to get yourself going if you are interested?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Just get out and perform as much as possible and always make it clear that you'd love to do more. There are tons of venues to get flight time. You can do open mic nights of course if you can handle the crowd but with the summer coming up there are tons of opportunities for talent shows. Many cities will allow performers from neighboring cities to perform in their competitions, as well schools and other clubs have talent shows as well. Farmers markets and festivals are coming up as well. Get a few solid routines under your belt and go for it.

Jan 6, 2014
Sorry if i sounded offended Slicksleights. I wasn't I am grateful for the help. If you could recommend any books/dvds that would be great. I do perform quite often. I've done a few larger school things (yes, I'm younger) and I do walk-around. By the way Josh, I love many of your effects I might get Unbuttoned to go with Dress Code. Thanks again everybody

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results