David Blaine Street Levitation

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hey buddies,

thank you all for your continuing answers to the threads i post.
So i was recently watching a David Blaine special and there was a scene where he levitated clearly off the ground. He was like 20cm above the ground. Not the Balducci Levitation. Is this levitation published somewhere?
Cheers
Philipp

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
its called editing. Every magician in tv does this to make the trick more effective to the people watching through tv.

I strongly disagree, David Blaine was the first magician to popularize street magic and so every magician after changed their style to be more unique than the last, with what you're saying, we should rather stand in a studio to perform to a camera if every trick is designed for TV. As for the levitation question, every levitation method is unique to the creative consultants behind the respective magician therefore no actual method can be published as they aren't all the same.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I strongly disagree, David Blaine was the first magician to popularize street magic and so every magician after changed their style to be more unique than the last, with what you're saying, we should rather stand in a studio to perform to a camera if every trick is designed for TV. As for the levitation question, every levitation method is unique to the creative consultants behind the respective magician therefore no actual method can be published as they aren't all the same.

David Blaine's specials were never about the tricks but about the reactions. thats what made his work unique.
He performed baducci for the people in the street and recorded their reaction, mixed them with an artificial levitation later to show audience at home what the audience on street "Thought they saw".

It is no longer a secret that the levitation was rigged.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
David Blaine's specials were never about the tricks but about the reactions. thats what made his work unique.
He performed baducci for the people in the street and recorded their reaction, mixed them with an artificial levitation later to show audience at home what the audience on street "Thought they saw".

It is no longer a secret that the levitation was rigged.

I do not deny that the levitation was rigged, as is all types of levitation seen elsewhere however I feel that it is a rather bold claim to say that all magicians use camera editing to achieve their effects, do you not think so too?

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I do not deny that the levitation was rigged, as is all types of levitation seen elsewhere however I feel that it is a rather bold claim to say that all magicians use camera editing to achieve their effects, do you not think so too?

Well there is one thing that can be said with surety, Magic for television is produced for television. It is written for television. It is edited for television.

for example if you hear a magician ask someone to merely think of a word and then reveals it, its quite possible that there was a portion where the spectator had to write it down. However that was edited out. So Even if the magic done on television is real, it is still not same as a real life close-up performance.

I do not think camera tricks are used because that would be too stupid to pass off as the real thing, however my point is that elaborate set ups are used which are not possible in a real life non telivised performance.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
I understand the extent of some magic being created solely for television but I believe that even the television magic, apart from major illusions, can be done in real life.

Apr 17, 2013
Well there is one thing that can be said with surety, Magic for television is produced for television. It is written for television. It is edited for television.

for example if you hear a magician ask someone to merely think of a word and then reveals it, its quite possible that there was a portion where the spectator had to write it down. However that was edited out. So Even if the magic done on television is real, it is still not same as a real life close-up performance.

I do not think camera tricks are used because that would be too stupid to pass off as the real thing, however my point is that elaborate set ups are used which are not possible in a real life non telivised performance.

There are methods for getting the name with out it having to be written down. Sure there is some of the boring prep work edited out but you can still do them in a non-televised settings.

New magicians have to understand that many of these guys use things that are not really out there for the general population of magicians. They use things that are passed around from person to person or are created by there teams. There is a whole world of magic out there that is still of the old ways where it is ounly shared with a few to keep it out of the hands of those who just want to know. Many times it is shared for free. Working magicians like to keep the good stuff limited so not everyone is doing it and it is that much more powerful.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
There are methods for getting the name with out it having to be written down. Sure there is some of the boring prep work edited out but you can still do them in a non-televised settings.

New magicians have to understand that many of these guys use things that are not really out there for the general population of magicians. They use things that are passed around from person to person or are created by there teams. There is a whole world of magic out there that is still of the old ways where it is ounly shared with a few to keep it out of the hands of those who just want to know. Many times it is shared for free. Working magicians like to keep the good stuff limited so not everyone is doing it and it is that much more powerful.

Seriously? Criss Angel dissecting a spectator was something that we cannot do because it was kept from us?
Criss Angel Walking on water was something we cannot do because it was kept from us? These are huge over-rigged stunts that in real life would not be possible without a heavy budget and prep which would not be worth it unless you were going to record it for millions to view.

I am a media student and I also am fortunate to personally know the producer who produced first Max Maven special. I was also invited to look over the spec for a magic series about to be shot in three years for the purpose of trying to redesign some illusions in a cost-effective manner and to get permits for filming from different locations.

televised magic starts with a creative magic team, then goes to the butchery, i.e. the media consulting team who try to make the illusions "grander" by carefully writing editable scripts, Studio cuts and so on.

I understand the extent of some magic being created solely for television but I believe that even the television magic, apart from major illusions, can be done in real life.

Yes there are a lot of effects that can be done in real life, for example earlier blaine specials. However, You do not see the spectators signing release forms, you do not see spectators being shipped by an audience company to make it look like they were 'off the street', you do not see the director going like "The crazier you react, the better chance you have to making it to the final cut"

And that is how an Unrealistic expectation of "Street magic" is created.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I miss the days of Copperfield specials that always began with the voice-over stating that no camera tricks were involved and we were treated to a grand stage show. Or to date myself even more watching the variety of great magicians that appeared on the Paul Daniels show

Most of the specials today are about over the top reactions not the magic. You can achieve crazy reactions with the balducci levitation, I had someone cry once after seeing it but it wouldn't translate as well to TV.

I'd love it if the pendulum started to swing back to showing full routines instead of the reactions from eight different groups to the same effect.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
again invalidated.

So I guess if we say things like "International Magician Society," "Magician of the Year," "Magician of the Decade," or "Magician of the Century," that's not valid either, right? How about "TV's 50 Greatest Magic Tricks of All Time," during which both Dynamo and Angel were featured multiple times and praised by various legendary magicians and magic consultants for their work in advancing magic and rekindling interest in it. Still not valid?

Say what you will about pop culture and television (both can be pretty terrible), but the two performers whose mere names prompted you to dismiss a person twice with no explanation? Those guys seem to me to be pretty well respected by a pretty wide base of magicians who are in turn respected by a pretty wide base of the magic community. The fact that you are so disrespectful toward both of them and a fellow forum member says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Okay, things have gotten out of hand here. First of all I just wanted to know if this is published. To summarize everything:
1. It's created without special effecrs by a consultant team-
2. It's nowhere published.

Stop fighting each other, thank you. Thanks for all the constructive answers.

Cheers

Philipp

PS: @krab1 Although I don't like Dynamo or Chriss Angel they have surely achieved more than you and deserve all the respect. Whether you like them or not.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Some Clarification. . . before Criss Angel became famous he was an amazing performer and developer that caught the eye of some legendary individuals most of whom want little to nothing to do with him any more because he evolved into this mega-ego that can't perform a live show any longer; his Vegas debut was panned numerous times because he couldn't deliver what people saw him do on TV. This is a fact.

On numerous levels Angel has hurt magic because of creative editing and the over-use of stooges just so he could play to the camera.

David Blaine learned his lesson early on and stopped using creative editing (mostly because of the levitation in question) and displays actual skill and talent (though some of it is obscure) in his shows. But, as noted, there are certain things that are edited out simply for the sake of time and frankly there is no reason to show people writing things necessarily and certainly no reason for the producers to reveal any pre-show bits.

Dynamo is exactly like Angel with the exception that Angel seems to have more talent (and not all that much more). Dynamo, based on what I've seen of his material, is akin to the other 12 year olds on Youtube, which is where he created his following and managed to get the connections for his series. Frankly, the lad doesn't impress me in the least.

Andrew Mayne simply sucks . . . far too much "controlled" setting and like Angel,too much in way of stooges (actors) and outrageous pre-sets. The bulk of what I've seen him do on TV cannot be done live and on the streets under similar conditions. He might as well be playing Uncle Arthur on Bewitched.

Carbonaro with whatever his name is, is NOT a "magician" in the sense that he simply pulls practical jokes on people vs. magic. He's not a presenter of magic but a poorly framed conman.

The use of Creative Editing goes back to Copperfield who set the precedent for these egos. Fortunately David rarely employed the technique and delivered magic that you would see in his shows; much of it being things he'd just toured with.

I've pointed out to several people that just because you're a "Magician" doesn't mean you know how it all gets pulled together. There are secrets that are not published and as has been noted, get passed around via a rather exclusive underground. While some poor little rich kid might be able to pay Franz Harary for using a certain technique (like Walking on Water or Perspective) the average mage can't afford such things and too, they will never know the full workings around said pieces. What must also be understood is that certain of these secrets are quite subtle but are designed to enhance the effect.

If you have no experience with big illusion, don't try to be an expert (especially on this forum, there are too many actual experts here and you'll just look an ass; But similarly there are many people on this forum that work tech on Tv shows that are probably chuckling as some of the things said in this thread).

Magic is likewise a huge political machine, which is why you see major players giving public kudos to certain personalities. You have no idea what that same VIP actually believes in his/her private life. . . and too, anyone can play Vegas if they have the $$$ to 4 wall the theater, so don't use that as a ruler; some of the worse performers in our business play Vegas.

Apr 17, 2013
PS: @krab1 Although I don't like Dynamo or Chriss Angel they have surely achieved more than you and deserve all the respect. Whether you like them or not.

Since I have done more than some members here, including you, doesn't that mean that I deserve all of their respect as well? They tell me what I have done means nothing because I'm old, or I do not tell them in a nice way. Also I can do my effects and they come out right. I do not need paid actors and multiple takes to get an effect to come out right. What those two do is no longer magic but a product of TV. What ever respect they had has gone out the window when you get a look a like of the PotUS to stand in the dark to make peoeple think you do magic for the man. Also I have talked to people who worked on Criss's show I know what went on there.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Creative editing, Stooges and Unrealistic Setups, the most "famous" TV magicians use them. That has been my point through out.
I do not name Criss and Dynamo because I think they are role-models, I name them because they are famous compared to other magicians in pop culture. People who dont know magic know Criss Angel. So yes, famous performers use the aforementioned and one should not expect to be able to pull off all their tricks under similar circumstances.

Any one disagreeing with anything is this para?

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
@krab1
You're absolutely right. Just sayin that you should provide a reason why you don't like them. Thanks at Craig for that outstandingly well post.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Achievement is an important part of earning people's respect, to be sure, but so is being a decent to other humans. One of the unfortunate things I've noticed about the few magic forums I frequent is that there are some members (no, it's not all one person) who are extremely quick to correct and condescend toward other magicians (old and new), and regardless of the subject matter I just don't think that's good for magic at all.

Also, Craig, I appreciate the well thought-out post in relation to your views. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but at least you were detailed and not dismissive in your presentation of your opinion. Personally, I don't much care for Dynamo either. I have a soft spot for Angel because I watched him alot when I was younger, but I got bored long about the 3rd or 4th season of his show and haven't followed him much since. I don't think either of these gentlemen are necessarily the best magicians ever; they're basically the Justin Timberlakes of magic. What they do is widely known and they've been recognized for it, but that doesn't make them more skilled than other, less recognized magicians. All I'm saying is that we need to be careful about blatantly (and possibly unfairly) disrespecting other performers, and we shouldn't really be disrespectful or dismissive of fellow forum members at all because it erodes any sense of community we might try to create here and it doesn't reflect well on us as individuals.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results