help with street magic

Jan 20, 2015
any tips and tricks for doing magic for strangers on the street? it just feels weird to walk up to someone and be like "hi you wanne see a magic trick".

Jul 30, 2014
it will fell weird for the first few times, but just try it.
nothing can happen, the worst thing would be they say no,and you go to another person.

just ask a friend and go with him outside, then let him choose someone and you go to that person,that makes it a little bit easier than if you choose the person on your own
hope that helps

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It feels weird because it is weird. That doesn't mean it's not ok - it's just outside the social norms for western society.

However, you do have to do this delicately not to be rude. You have to learn to recognize when folks are busy, or just not wanting to be bothered. You want them to be pleased with your performance, not annoyed that you're pestering them.

In short: Compliment, introduce, question. "You look like a nice fellow. My name is Joe. Have you got a moment to check this out?" The exact words are kind of irrelevant. Just make something up.

But for god's sake, please make sure you're at least trying to find people who might actually want to see magic instead of furthering the stereotypes.

Dec 5, 2014
But for god's sake, please make sure you're at least trying to find people who might actually want to see magic instead of furthering the stereotypes.

I'm just quoting the last part here because I think this is the most important. Street magic is a great thing when done right, but it's those people who will just grab anyone and immediately start doing a trick without even introducing themselves or getting to know their audience that I think gives the rest of us a bad name.

Magic, in my mind at least (and I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me), isn't about the effect, it's about the interaction. So what I'm doing when I'm scouting the crowd is I'm looking for people that I think would be easy to talk to. This isn't, of course, always easy...and there isn't any one specific type of person I'm looking for, it's just something that I tend to have gotten a feel for over time and repetition.

Jan 20, 2015
Would it be easier to bring like a camera so i can film it and learn from my mistakes kr are people the less eager to watch because they're getting filmed

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Some people will be more shy, but just as many people will think it means you're going to put them on TV and will ham it up.

A cameraman is like a clipboard or a suit. It gives you a certain amount of prestige. Particularly if you and your cameraman actually look like someone who might be doing some kind of show that will be seen by the public. ie: Don't go out in a t-shirt, dirty jeans and nasty sneakers.

Apr 26, 2013
Italy
I would definitely agree with all the above, even though I don't actually believe that a camera always helps. I simply guess that, righteously, some people don't want to be filmed. A couple of tips I used and still use from time to time:
1- At the very beginning I used to go to shopping malls with my friends and show them tricks, but I sort of did it trying to involve other people whom I didn't know (It's a lot easier to involve passersby if they see a group of people gathered around someone, for curiosity engages them and your job then is simply drawing them in, maybe with a polite and Brief introduction in between your patter lines);
2- I often do this thing when I want to perform for a bunch of strangers: I get a 20 euro bill, I write "magician's money" on it and then fold it. Then I approach a group, I politely ask a person if they could move just an inch and I produce the bill from very close to their feet. At this point, almost always tries to say something like "these are mine", and I tell them, I am pretty sure these are mine, as you can see (show them what you've written on the bill), and then proceed to show them a quick trick with the bill (floating, twenty to a fifty,...). I'd advise to do this only when pretty self-confident with your audience management skills.

Jan 20, 2015
What is a good effect to test the audience? I mostly just let them pick a card control it to the top, do a doublé lift and act like i messed up then do a erdnase colorchange amd voila

Jan 28, 2015
What is a good effect to test the audience? I mostly just let them pick a card control it to the top, do a doublé lift and act like i messed up then do a erdnase colorchange amd voila

Are you familiar with "The Advocate" by Daniel Madison? If not then I highly recommend checking that out. I do openers using that concept quite frequently and what I find most appealing about it is that you can have a spectator (or several depending on your comfort level) "think" of a card and reveal it from anywhere like a pocket, under a hat, etc. There is no spreading of the cards and asking them to pick one, and that throws people off because 99% of people automatically assume when you ask if they'd like to see a card trick that you mean they will pick one and you will find it.

It takes the pressure off (in my opinion) if you're new to walking up to people and asking if they want to see some magic, because it eliminates them making assumptions about you before you even open your mouth because they noticed a deck of cards in your hands, since in this case when you approach them, there are no cards in your hands.

-KZ

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results