Different settings one can perform magic

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
So I'm trying to write magic reviews, but I think I have a limited scope of the different settings one can perform magic. Here's what I think exist:

- Show for kids
- Close-up show
- Stage show
- Close-up busking (restaurant, for - example)
- Street magic
- Parlour

Have I missed any others?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It's semantics but I would separate:

Close up walk around (think cocktail party or trade show and table hopping

Busking or street show could be for a few surrounding your table or a show for a larger crowd.

Street magic is closer to walk-around but involves wandering around accosting strangers

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Busking is generally a kind of parlor show that you perform in the street. You'd probably perform walk around or table hopping magic at a restaurant. Some magicians look for magic they can perform on Instagram, You Tube or a promo reel. Often times this is magic that is very angle sensitive to the point where it would be difficult to perform live.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
It's semantics but I would separate:

Close up walk around (think cocktail party or trade show and table hopping

Busking or street show could be for a few surrounding your table or a show for a larger crowd.

Street magic is closer to walk-around but involves wandering around accosting strangers

It's all good. Sometimes semantics make the difference. I also don't know all of what you can do in close-up., since I still live in Rookie-Town.

And again, congrats on the 'Back to School' contest!

Busking is generally a kind of parlor show that you perform in the street. You'd probably perform walk around or table hopping magic at a restaurant. Some magicians look for magic they can perform on Instagram, You Tube or a promo reel. Often times this is magic that is very angle sensitive to the point where it would be difficult to perform live.

I agree! I know if some magic that's only good on a 1-on-1 basis (Blue Crystal and OH NO!) so it's very limited on the number of people you perform for...which is basically one person at a time. I did factor in Instagram and YouTube in my next review. That is a great point you brought up.

Sounds like a good afternoon.

You missed off TV Brett, which of course we all have a wealth of experience with.

Ha! There's been an extremely small number Tenyo that I know of that has been performed on TV and that is Parabox and Sakkaku Scale/Illusion Scale. Both were done extremely well. I try to factor in 'angle sensitivity' and 'stage hands' in all the reviews I do. But I have made a lot of my Tenyo purchases that aren't angle sensitive or require other 'people in the know' based on what I'm trying to do. There's not a whole lot of inherently angle-sensitive Tenyo.

Thanks everyone for the input, and I apologize for getting back to this thread so late!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ooo, it may be interesting to look at effects that are Tenyo on a larger scale. Like has anyone recreated thee principles to suit a stage effect (or are they based on a stage effect like ZigZag woman/cigarette) I would find that really interesting to learn about.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I know that there is a larger version of 'Telesphere' on Amazon. Not sure if they improved over the smaller Tenyo version, as it had some issues of its own. And the tubes don't seem to be all that big (1 foot tall, if memory serves) and the larger version is about $200 + expensive.

There IS a larger version of Parabox: 'Lubor's Gift'. Actually endorsed by Lubor. Problem is that it's not plastic (it's paper) makes me wary of paying $100 for it.

Dec 31, 2014
How about magic for charity/performing at hospitals? I am not used to performing, but that might be considered as a different setting.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
How about magic for charity/performing at hospitals? I am not used to performing, but that might be considered as a different setting.

That is a good point. I've considered adding those, but I think a charity function could go several different routes that could lead to (off the top of my head): stage, strolling, or close-up.

For a hospital; its weird. And I say that because what you can and can't use varies. It all depends on the coordinator and protocol. Overall the 'no animals, fire, and latex' are unamimous from the 4 coordinators in two different states that I have talked to. In fact, one was VERY leery of sponge balls/sponge bunnies (think of it like this. They are pretty lengthy to sanitize after one use. If you don't sanitize them after every room, you're going from room to room with 'unclean' sponge balls, and the last kid would be handling something that 23 kids have already touched).
I figure with any sort of strolling, the old adage of 'pack small, play big' applies here. Although, I will add a caveat that if ANYONE but YOU touches the props, YOU MUST SANITIZE THEM before moving to the next room. So quick reset and quick sanitization.

While I haven't performed yet (I'm still gathering the tricks needed to have at LEAST 1 show. I just lack the funds...and the bag/table at the moment). But I would even add in 'tricks with bright flashing/strobe lights' to stuff not to use (epilepsy). Call me paranoid. But I know that my life has had more than a fair share of unforeseen, bizarre circumstances. I have this feeling that I use a D*Lite or Tenyo Magic's 'The Third Eye'. I will be 'THAT MAGICIAN' that goes into do a good thing and my tricks would induce an epileptic seizure in some poor child. I don't want to be 'that magician' and give the magic community a black eye, so I'm playing it super safe. I even have my packet tricks in card protectors, which are then placed in Ultrapro Top Loaders. They are THICK. They aren't 'pocket tricks' anymore. For ease of sanitation and ease for children to grip. I'm not using any tricks with rubber because I think rubber is a tougher one to sanitize without damaging the rubber itself and causing it to crack.

So honestly. If you're volunteering at a hospital, talk to your hospital coordinator, figure out what tricks you want to use, MAY want to use. It REALLY depends on what you want to do at the hospital too. I intend to have A LOT of involvement (meaning lots of sanitizing). You might even be able to find some workarounds to make some tricks work. It's hard to tell unless you know your hospitals protocol.

I probably won't have everything ready until Spring of 2016. But once I do, I'll cover more detail if my mild-germs phobia is justified, or me being a ninny with the sponge-bunnies and all.

Wow, that turned into a longer post than I anticipated.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ya I thought I remembered someone saying that it was great to be able to leave kids with a trick they can do and penguin provided those.

As for the sanitation, you are very correct. I have a medically complex son and we are VERY aware of germs. Every person that walks into our home must first go wash their hands. Hospitals are the worst for germs so spongeballs are out for sure. And anything rubber/latex. A lot of high needs kiddos have latex allergies,so no balloons. ;)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I love magic that can be performed over the phone too. I am slowly building a repertoire of radio style magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results