Deck Durability Test

Dec 31, 2015
When it comes to deck reviews, everyone asks for an approximation as to how long the deck will last. Now, I believe that I've found a way to discover how many weeks a deck will last if it undergoes the following treatment in correspondence with properly caring for the deck.

1) 15 minutes of practice per day
2) 1 street magic performance of 1-3 effects per week

Once a deck has gone through that amount of wear and tear, all that has to happen to fine-tune it to your schedule is some simple math. Then, you should get a good idea of approximately how long a specific deck of cards should last. My plan to share the test results with you is to begin with a Bicycle Standard deck to set the bar, then test later decks in comparison. Also, image updates will be posted on my Instagram with a video summing up the test being posted on YouTube.

My questions for you. Do you believe that I should add anything to the list of tests the deck should undergo? What decks should I test?

shaitani

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2016
I figure certain moves cause wear and tear faster than others. So I'm curious how you intend to account for where certain performers or practices require more card damaging moves like faro shuffles, versus safer moves like fans and cuts.

Dec 31, 2015
I plan to have a setup like this:

2 faro shuffles with bridge endings
4 tabled riffle shuffles
5 fans
5 dribbles

That's just a small peak at what's on the list.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
There are too many variables to consider; all these will have an impact:
- moves performed: faro, spring, spreads, packet cutting, crimping, ... all worn cards differently.
- magic vs cardistry: some cardistry moves wear out cards faster (springs spreads...), while some magic tricks and sleight are also pretty tough on cards (crimping, tearing, palming...). Also, when doing cardistry the deck is often handled just by the finger tips, while in magic the deck will often be in dealer's grip: this affects how much heat, moisture and oil the deck will be subject to.
- performer only touching the cards vs spectator (some just destroy cards 'cause they don't know how to care for them)
- environment: humidity, temperature
- duration of sessions: at first, the deck is cooler and dry, fans better, but as a session lasts longer, they become hotter, and pick up moisture more quickly, edges gets rougher faster.
- card care: using a porper or not, how cards are stored, where, humidity, temperature again
- hand care: how clean the hands are, frequency of washing hands, are your hands naturally dryer or moist, do your hands get moist a lot when performing in front of people, when practicing?
- criteria for worn out deck: non-fanable? with dimples on it? poop-deck (can we define poop-deck exactly?)? This one varies for each person.

I've had the same question when I started collecting cards, mostly to avoid destroying them too fast. With time there was only one answer I could find: my own. So I used and abused a single deck for as long as I could to find out how long they would last me. And my definition of a usable deck would change over time. When beginning I would change decks every week, then every month, only to realize that after some time, I could get a month-old deck and continue using for 4 months until it became poop deck, but it would still feel amazing for packet cutting, and then it would last a year before I decided it was time to change it.

In the end what I have realized is this:
- They are only paper, don't get too emotionally attached to them.
- They are made to be used, so use them while to have them, and while you are still alive to enjoy them.
- There will always be more designs you crave, and you will end up buying more eventually, whether you have worn all your decks or not.

So, take care for you cards, yes, but use them. There is nothing worst than keeping from using a deck because you don't want to wear it out, only to have it destroyed by some misfortune before enjoying them.

Reactions: troyjwalker
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results