Books regarding the theory/mentality of creating magic

Mar 2, 2016
United States
Hello,

I am searching for a good book on the theory or the mentality of creating magic. Not necessarily a how-to on certain tricks, but how magicians go about the creative process of making them.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I've Heard "Less Is More" Is a great book on how to redevelop your tricks so that you aren't filling them with mush, and thus allowing for more freedom in the presentation.
Here's a Review by David, aka Magic Orthodoxy

Reactions: FirstFlourish
Jul 28, 2015
I would suggest The Magic Way by Juan Tamariz, Strong Magic and Creating Miracles by Darwin Ortiz and the Fitzkee trilogy by Dariel Fitzkee

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The Fitzkee Trilogy is good to read, but has some significant flaws in the thinking.

To add to the list already given -
The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride
Absolute Magic and Pure Effect by Derren Brown (two separate books)
Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook (And the rest of that whole series)
Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger (As well as Spirit Theater, but that's more geared towards bizarre)
The Five Points in Magic by Tamariz
Creative Magic by Adam Wilber
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber
The Berglas Effects by Kaufmann

And also, read about art and writing and theater. If you only focus your learning on magic sources, you'll never develop as much as you could if you expand your horizons.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Larry Haas' book Transformations: Creating Magic Out of Tricks. It doesn't tell you how to create methods but tell you how to take a trick and turn it into a performance piece.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results