Mirror vs Camera

Aug 15, 2017
Which is better when practising?
I mean, the mirror is what most people use and it also helps that with the mirror you can constantly view yourself.
But personally speaking, recording yourself helps you to make a LOAD of notes and if you practice this way, fast progress is assured (kinda?).
Obviously the best method for effective practice would be to combine the above 2 elements and performing for a spectator in front of whom you can afford to mess up (my elder sister for me!).

However, if you were absolutely forced to choose any ONE, EITHER a mirror OR a camera, which will you choose?

Also, say you have to perform and very unfortunately you have just a few minutes to practice, will you record yourself once or twice and watch yourself or just keep practising in front of a mirror during whatever time is left?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A camera allows you to just focus on what your doing and watch it back in a much more controlled situation. You'll get more out of recording it.

And you don't have to practice everytime before you perform.

Jul 13, 2014
I like to use my mounted phone camera in selfie mode for practicing. Not recording, just watching the screen. And normally for practicing angle judging.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
They each have limits. There is distortion that comes from a camera. Many people perform the pass on camera and it looks great, in reality fast moves don't blur as much.

I use both for different reasons.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Or you can use both. Tape a camera onto your mirror where your face it and stick something behind it to angle it downwards (assuming it's a phone camera). Be careful not to break either one though!

This way, the camera will record from an audience member's eye level, focus on your sleights and/or use a mirror when you need one.

Reactions: 010rusty
I usually use a mirror and sometimes a camera for knacky stuff. I bought Sean Yang's three way mirror which is wonderful. Definitely check that out, as it can give you multiple angles for when you practice.

The main problem I found when practicing in front of a mirror is that I'm looking at my reflection rather than my hands. Believe it or not, in the past, I was looking at my reflection so much when I was practicing Spellbound, when I didn't have the mirror in front of me, I felt weird doing it because I wasn't used to looking at my hands! I didn't know how the routine looked from behind! That's strange right? I hope that doesn't happen to you. Use a bit of both, like what your forum peers have suggested.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results