Help with the Hamman Count pls?

Aug 15, 2017
Figured out the count I needed. :)
The card I wanna hide is the third one. And the hamman count achieves it more tan perfectly.
My only problem is that when, after counting off the first card I do the 'thing'...It can be seen that the first card is actually being transferred back.
The only time it does not happen is when I do the count too slowly, impractical obviously.
Am definitely not practising less...it is probably that there is something I am missing out on.
I practice this mostly in front of a mirror.
So...any tips?
Like, maybe holding the cards in a particular position...or maybe some sort of cover for the flash I am talking about?

Thanks guys!
Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.--Erica Jong

Aug 15, 2017
It's mechanics. Where are you learning it from?
Learning it from You Tube, more precisely Jay Sankey.

BUT BEFORE ANYONE GETS MAD AT ME...
That's purely because of the lack of a better resource. I have sucked up internet to find some better resources, something more in depth, because details are not something Sankey delves into. Obviously, no luck. But the move in general looked simple...
Can you point me to a better source?

Or even better, just point out a few things I should pay attention to while doing the count?

Aug 15, 2017
And a small question which is kinda small, but I needed to clear this out...so putting it in the same thread:-

Is it okay (okay as in ethical) to, say, reference a performance of an effect and ask people the name of the trick so that I can BUY it, or BUY BOOKS to learn it, or LEARN it from the YT provided its public domain? Because there are so many effects I like, can I reference the video and ask people the name of the effect atleast?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm guessing "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" would be a place to learn his work.

Asking the name of a trick so you can pay for it is not unethical. But asking in a public space like YT comments, or asking when you see a live performance (that isn't like, a gathering of magicians or similar situation) is tacky in my opinion.

Personally I avoid doing what I see other people performing for the most part, unless I can make it unique my own. I particular avoid anything that's either very unique, or done by a lot of people. If you do a routine that's seen as someone's signature routine, you'll just be thought of as a copy. If you do something that a large number of people are performing, you'll be thought of as generic.

Reactions: Lord Magic

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Figured out the count I needed. :)
The card I wanna hide is the third one.

You want a Jordan Count.

Can you point me to a better source?

Or even better, just point out a few things I should pay attention to while doing the count?

The handling I use is in Card College Volume 2. If you get the book, I'd be glad to help you fine tune the move.

How many cards do you have in total?

8996, not counting those awaiting death by Mercury's Card fold.

I've generally seen a Hamman count with 7 or 9 cards. The Jordan Count uses 4 cards. Three cards is difficult, but you should be able to do it if you have the right "larger" motions and mechanics.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You want a Jordan Count.

The handling I use is in Card College Volume 2. If you get the book, I'd be glad to help you fine tune the move.

8996, not counting those awaiting death by Mercury's Card fold.

BEST COMMENT EVER :)

I've generally seen a Hamman count with 7 or 9 cards. The Jordan Count uses 4 cards. Three cards is difficult, but you should be able to do it if you have the right "larger" motions and mechanics.

Reactions: ParkinT
Aug 15, 2017
I'm guessing "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" would be a place to learn his work.

Asking the name of a trick so you can pay for it is not unethical. But asking in a public space like YT comments, or asking when you see a live performance (that isn't like, a gathering of magicians or similar situation) is tacky in my opinion.

Personally I avoid doing what I see other people performing for the most part, unless I can make it unique my own. I particular avoid anything that's either very unique, or done by a lot of people. If you do a routine that's seen as someone's signature routine, you'll just be thought of as a copy. If you do something that a large number of people are performing, you'll be thought of as generic.
Thanx for the suggestion :)
But what if I ask the name of an effect here OR on a DM to, say, one of u guys? Is it unethical then?
For the name only obviously...UNLESS it is in public domain because then as I said, I think I have full right to learn it for free!
And I am not going to copy the style of whichever magician's effect am gonna learn (more often than not, it is not even THEIR own effect). I will make it more 'me'. I hope it will be even more 'ethical' then.
But until and unless I get the source, it will not be possible.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Again, if you're polite about it, it's not unethical to request information.

It's a good idea to be familiar with the person, though. For those that take their performances seriously, the question, "Where did you learn that?" often comes across as, "I want to copy you." That's not an accusation at you, it's just a fact of the magic world. People steal material and copy other performers constantly. This is why I rarely give much information about where I find my material beyond book titles usually. I see too many people who would try to copy what I do and slaughter it because they don't understand the foundation skills I developed before doing whatever routine it is.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results