What inspiration does magic give to laymen?

Aug 15, 2017
So I got all philosophical and thought that, fine, we do magic, we create wonder etc, etc. But of what real use is it to the laymen?
I am not talking abt teaching them to steal a wallet or something.
I am talking, psychologically...
What does it give them other than a belief that coins can be vanished?
Do they get inspired?
Do they get the meaning of magic in their lives and realise what magic is? Or do they end up thinking magic is only finding the spectator's cards?

Does magic really have an inspiring effect on people? Do they start wanting to achieve the impossible?
Most importantly...does performing magic bring any real change in the world?

Again, I don't mean we should perform something to give every house $100000000 or something like that.
Does magic have any beautiful and mental effect on the laymen, so that they start seeing things in a new light?

Interested to hear what you guys think about all this. Just wanted to know what inspirational purposes a simple magic trick might serve to.

PS:-When I say magic, I mean, good magic. Not ''Think of a number, multiply by 100, add ten, subtract 42, throw away ninety-four, give your friend 23,divide by 33''...I don't mean that :) And by audience I mean those who can get inspired. Because if someone just doesn't want to get inspired, we can't inspire them :)

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
I've added an excerpt from a previous reply of mine to a similar question.

"I say that magic is inspiration. I believe that it is our job to take the hand of the audience and guide them through a presentation that shows them that they not only don't know it all, but also that the things they don't know have the potential to contradict what they believe to be true. By Picasso's definition, we are performing "a lie that tells the truth." We lie to our audience so that they can come to the fact that they don't yet know everything. This is all done with the hope that they will be inspired to go out, learn and study what they don't know. Of course there are plenty of inspirational things to be found in the world, but I feel that magic is one of the more fundamental inspirations. It is one of the few that inspires us to dive deeper into the things we are already familiar with. Without magic I don't think we'd have much of a reason to continue exploring things that we already felt we had a grasp on."

I found this (the above excerpt) to be partly relevant, however, to address your question more specifically, I'll start by saying 'magic is an expressive art.'

In magic we don't truly do the impossible, we express the impossible. This is done with numerous illusions and effects. Another expression is improbability. Perhaps we decide to express this through ACAAN.

All of that is to ask, "What are you trying to express with your magic?"

After you've answered that one for yourself, I'll encourage you to ask "Why?" Why do you want to 'inspire' with your magic? Are there not better ways of inspiring people than with magic?

These are tough questions, but all are meant to bring out the best in you and your magic.

Now, I must admit that I've intentionally left out quite a lot from my response. Reason being is that a single answer to your question is not the most efficient way to tackle this topic. A dialogue would be much more productive. After all, that's what the forums are meant for.

Leave a comment / reply and let's continue this conversation. This topic is one that I've thought a lot about and I'm looking forward to sharing some of those thoughts!

Cameron J. Braxton

C J

Nov 29, 2017
I found a few studies that said magic boosts creativity. Other than that I don't know, but we are the performer they are the audience we are just there to entertain the audience member and amaze them. I have seen it pull people out of depression and dark periods of there life. Also, that layman you just performed to might be so blown away that he has to know how you did it and in a year he's a magician.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jul 26, 2016
@Lord Magic: "Most importantly...does performing magic bring any real change in the world?"

If it changes even one person's world, if only for the moment, by making them forget their cares or puts a smile on their face, then that alone makes it worthwhile.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results